I don't understand the FAA's logic on antidepressants

150man

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
150man
It seems like if you want more depressed pilots in the air, you wouldn't let them take medication and visa versa.

And as Dr. Bruce will tell you, depression is often misdiagnosed. People go to their primary physician and ask for some happy pills, because they feel down. A lot of those primary docs never ask about a history, or any manic episodes . . .

I probably do not understand what medical depression is. But, the question is, what is so dangerous about flying on "happy pills"? I imagine there are millions of drivers out there on them, and I would consider driving a car on a mid town freeway during rush hour to be every bit as demanding as landing a Cessna under most conditions.

Maybe it's the others they're concerned about.

I probably do not understand what medical depression is. But, the question is, what is so dangerous about flying on "happy pills"? I imagine there are millions of drivers out there on them, and I would consider driving a car on a mid town freeway during rush hour to be every bit as demanding as landing a Cessna under most conditions.

That's not the point, really. The question is, WHY are you in need of those pills?

Try to digest these....There's more....
Wayne's got the "other" of the "most conditions" pretty well nailed.

After you get done with these we can start to discuss what depression and it's next of kin, the anxiety disorders really are.

Class dismissed.

The first report blew me away. There was THAT much lying about who was taking SSRIs?

Try to digest these....There's more....
Wayne's got the "other" of the "most conditions" pretty well nailed.

After you get done with these we can start to discuss what depression and it's next of kin, the anxiety disorders really are.

Class dismissed.

I've had a family member and friends come back from war "depressed" and it's no joke. I agree with Dr. Bruce 100% here. Medical level depression (or other disorders) are no small matter. They lead you to do illogical things, things that can cause harm to yourself and others. PTSD is another "no joke" matter.

That's not the point, really. The question is, WHY are you in need of those pills?

I don't take any, but if I did, what difference would the cause make? I've often thought I'd like to try them though to see what difference they make. My thinking is that if it's safe to drive a car on them, then it should be safe to fly- unless maybe you're flying an F-16 down the Grand Canyon. Shoot for all I know, truck drivers, locomotive engineers and bus drivers legally operate on them as well. Of course the FAA doesn't care if sport pilots take them since those guys don't have to get medicals. So is the FAA saying that flying a Cessna 150 in unpopulated areas on "happy pills" more dangerous to people than a "happy" sport pilot landing at an urban airport in an airplane that's a couple hundred pounds lighter, but could very well be faster?

I'm reading the articles Dr. Bruce, and when you say "try to digest them", and "class dismissed", I hope that's not coming from a condescending attitude.

He's saying he didn't get the answer he wanted so he doesn't like the way it was delivered. Like the guys who get fired and ***** that it happened during the holidays.

No, but you came on here unable to even decribe what deprression is. How do you think that should be regarded? Can you define it? do yo know how it impacts reality testing? Can you define a strategy to define who/how far along in the shades of gray is still safe to operate a motor vehicle?

I'm trying to start you at the beginning. But if you want to be resentful, I'll condescend and it'll tast really bad.

If you've never dealt with a severe medical depression, you haven't a clue. First, ANY drug, including OTCs, has the potential of altering ones perception, reaction, attention, not to mention other physical things. Like drinking and driving, you probably shouldn't drive OR fly while taking medicines. A person in severe depressive or a psychotic state DOES NOT KNOW they are. The existence of the medicines to treat the illness MAY BE the only way the FAA (or your local vehicle registry) can determine your depression.
They aren't just happy pills no more than a bottle of whisky or a case of beer is a good weekend.

I myself would prefer not to share the sky with folks who are having their brain chemistry artificially altered. That they are allowed to operate any kind of motor vehicle is unfortunate in my opinion, at least without increased scrutiny. Most mood altering chemicals can have profound side effects in cognition. I usually don't agree with the FAA, but in this instance I think they are right on.

It is true that the underlying condition can be misdiagnosed, but I'd rather they cast the net wider. Sport Pilot is already far less safe than GA, though I don't think we've seen medical issues yet. We will.

I myself would prefer not to share the sky with folks who are having their brain chemistry artificially altered. That they are allowed to operate any kind of motor vehicle is unfortunate in my opinion, at least without increased scrutiny. Most mood altering chemicals can have profound side effects in cognition. I usually don't agree with the FAA, but in this instance I think they are right on.

It is true that the underlying condition can be misdiagnosed, but I'd rather they cast the net wider. Sport Pilot is already far less safe than GA, though I don't think we've seen medical issues yet. We will.

Much better to live in denial. What could go wrong?

The problem with SP seems to be the geezers who are used to driving a truck and can't handle something that actually requires the pilot to fly the *****.

Glider pilots have been flying without medicals for years. Are they falling out of the sky? I think not (unlike King Air pilots).

What is the rate of glider crashes vs. GA crashes? I'm actually kind of curious, though comparing gliders and SP (or GA) is sort of like apples and oranges. They tend to be used for very different missions.

What is the rate of glider crashes vs. GA crashes? I'm actually kind of curious, though comparing gliders and SP (or GA) is sort of like apples and oranges. They tend to be used for very different missions.

Higher than GA in general. Lower than GA after engine failure.

The question would be how many are medical related and that gets a lot harder to answer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back