I dont think its meant to be...

tree96

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
tree96
Ive been working on my instrument rating for a while now. I started a thread about how hard it was to find a testing center to take the written. Got that square away, now on to the checkride. In my area, the closest DPE is a 40 minute flight away. No big deal, he is a super nice guy, very easy to get along with, and fair. Very busy though, and scheduling with him took me about 6 weeks to finally get set up. All set, ready to go, Thunderstorms the first weekend we tried. Then he was out of town, I was gone, then my instructor was out of town and hadnt signed me off. No big deal, its summer.
Fast forward to this past Monday, weather was perfect, played hookey from work, called him, lets do this. Get to the airport where he is, get squared away with IACRA, pay him, test begins, knock out the oral, go to the plane, only to find out we had current registration wasnt in our plane, only the old one in the plane, no one knows where the new one is. I knew the current one was in there at one point when I first tried to get the ride scheduled and i was going through the logbooks. Grounded. Letter of discontinuance. Take rental car home, call FAA get a temp registration faxed Wednesday, call him, all set for today. Stuff happens. Lesson learned, dont just assume that the registration is correct, VERIFY it is.

Then we come to today. Perfect weather, other than hot as can be. Fly up to meet him, everything is hunky dorey, start up,request vectors for first ILS, taxi, takeoff, climb out. NXXXXX reset transponder, negative radar contact. Try no joy. NXXXXX still unable to get a target on you. DPE says ok lets head back. As we land tower tells us they pick up a momentary squawk from us. Taxi back, shut down, another letter of discontinuance, and pay the DPE his hourly fee. Start up, taxi, fly home no transponder at all. Got an appointment with avionics shop Tuesday AM.

We have had intermittent issues with transponder before, but it was always attributed to poor radar coverage, as it was usually the same spot each time. I operate out of a TRSA Class D airport and trained just across the river from there. It wasnt an uncommon occurrence for radar to be lost.

Anyway, the TL;DR of this is, I get the feeling that maybe its not meant to be for me to be instrument rated. At this point I am ready to put my share of the plane up for sale and buy a boat or something else that is obscenely expensive and frustrates the hell out of me. Is it normal to have such problems? Or is the universe trying to tell me something? If the Instrument Rating was a man, Id punch him in the face.

My PP went the same way. It will pass and you will enjoy it. Remember no one remembers those that quit, only those that keep trying and pass.

As someone whose entire life is dictated strongly by Murphy's Law, just keep plowing forward. The universe is going to give you a million signs for and against a million things, but it's up to you to decide how bad you want something and whether it's worth the b.s. you have to deal with to achieve it.

At this point I am ready to put my share of the plane up for sale and buy a boat or something else that is obscenely expensive and frustrates the hell out of me. Is it normal to have such problems? Or is the universe trying to tell me something? If the Instrument Rating was a man, Id punch him in the face.

Sorry about the problems. Remember, Mother Nature (and Lucas, the Prince of Darkness - apparently) hate checkrides!

-Skip

All the work, time, and effort to get this close and you want to quit? You've had a few setbacks for sure, but you're almost there. Don't quit, you'd up end getting bored with boats anyway. Stick it out, you'll be glad you did. Best of success to ya!

My PPL went the same way. Had nearly 200 hrs in the logbook by the time I got to take my checkride, just trying to stay in practice!

Stick it out. You know it's worth it.

Sorry for the string of bad luck but man you're almost there! Hang in there and get it done!!!

Good luck.

Hang in there, JD! Trust me, it's worth sticking it out.

There's nothing like heading out over the mountains when they are shrouded in clouds and rain,and you've got your sunglasses on.sometimes the yuck is only one or two thousand feet thick then you're home free to somewhere hopefully nicer. It sure beats driving, too!

**** happens, JD. My "plan" for this summer was to knock out ratings while I'm part-time at my day job.

So far the airplane has broken three times, the instructor broke (got sick), his wife broke (elective surgery), his brother in law died (and he had to go out of state), my schedule changes and a few pre-booked things killed weeks, and I've been messing around with all of this since March.

First checkride is scheduled in a week and the airplane is VFR only right now, waiting for the HSI to come back from repairs out of state.

When I did my Instrument...

Airplane broke - nose strut and a very odd static system problem.

Couldn't schedule DPE. Ended up flying back to NE nearly four months later to do the checkride due to my own schedule conflicts.

Wind came up blowing over 35 on checkride day. Discontinuance. Waited two days for it to quit and reschedule the DPE for the rest of the ride.

On the way home from the ride, DME failed.

Just be persistent. It'll work out. And it'll be worth it. Water off a duck's back. Always.

You've lost me. Why is the lack of a functioning transponder a reason to discontinue the ride. If you're so much in the sticks as you describe, there should have been plenty of airspace to fly in where a transponder is not required.

You should read my threads from my first bust in July 14 to my successful IR ride in June 16 with everything that occurred that I thought I would bust again.

Some highlights/lowlights about what occurred....original DPE meddled when I found a new DPE so that new DPE said she didn't want to get involved in club politics. Decided to spend a lot of time learning holds....all on sim. Got rusty with airplane. My cfii moved to an airport an hours drive away. When I was ready to take the-ride plane was in annual. Then I got busy with work. Owner of airplane was talking about selling- it has an Avidyne glass panel. I Decided to buy a Cirrus with the same basic avionics set up as the Archer. Then we decided to change avionics to the IFD from the gns Nav/coms. Decided to hire an excellent CSIP to teach me about the 22, IFD avionics and get my IR. Was scheduled for a week in the Atlanta/Chattanooga area in January- trip was cut short due to Wx. Instructor flew to Chicsgo and we trained a couple of days end of January. Went great. Flew to Chattanooga in February for Checkride and during the final tuneup I flew like my head was up my ass. I cancelled ride. Didn't fly much over tax season, but got a couple of days in at the end of March. Mid May my kid graduated from college. End of May scheduled 5 days to knock it out. Was really flying great- day of Checkride comes and the ceilings are low so no ride. DPE booked through 6/9 then had surgery. Needed to take written again as it expired end of May. Set up 3 days end of June- 1 for flight to CHA and oral portion review, one full day of brush up then the Checkride, which was interesting. But I got it done and last week received the new plastic. If you knew how many times I thought it was not going to happen you would be amazed.

Bottom line is ****e happens. You will feel relieved proud and relaxed when you get that piece of paper. Good luck!

Maybe this will help. You're SO close to being able to get a view like this on an otherwise cloudy/rainy day on the ground:

c082e0e5f8e61fea8e7cbac68c20e0aa.jpg

You've lost me. Why is the lack of a functioning transponder a reason to discontinue the ride. If you're so much in the sticks as you describe, there should have been plenty of airspace to fly in where a transponder is not required.

DPE operates out of the local class C. We were trying to get vectors for an ILS with some regional jets coming and going. The goal was to do the 3 different approaches we needed to do there. I mentioned going elsewhere, but he decided to call it after they couldnt give us vectors. I wasnt ready to try and change his mind, as I had already looked like a moron showing up with an airplane with an expired registration.

Im glad to know Im not the only one who Murphy likes to fly with. I appreciate all the words of encouragement. At this point Im so close to finishing that I want to do it out of spite, just because.

We were able to get an appointment with an avionics shop this Tuesday AM, so hopefully we can get something squared away then. Im off work this week, and the weather looks to be good and the DPE is free all week, so maybe the stars will align.

Hang in there, JD! Trust me, it's worth sticking it out.

There's nothing like heading out over the mountains when they are shrouded in clouds and rain,and you've got your sunglasses on.sometimes the yuck is only one or two thousand feet thick then you're home free to somewhere hopefully nicer. It sure beats driving, too!

Thanks Hank! I talked with Jessica yesterday when I got back, I may go use one of Attitudes planes if we are grounded for a length of time. More money and time though lol!

Maybe this will help. You're SO close to being able to get a view like this on an otherwise cloudy/rainy day on the ground:

c082e0e5f8e61fea8e7cbac68c20e0aa.jpg

That should be one of those motivational posters!

Don't give up. On the plus side, your registration will be current and you'll have a dependable transponder to go fly IFR when you finish!

Did you look to see if the transponder antenna was dirty? On several aircraft I've flown the transponder was intermittent if there was a layer of grease/grime on the antenna. A quick wipe always solved the issue.

Jeff

Thanks Hank! I talked with Jessica yesterday when I got back, I may go use one of Attitudes planes if we are grounded for a length of time. More money and time though lol!

My plane fried something back in the panel just before my Instrument XC. Took three+ months to find parts and fix it. So instead of going to Allegheny outside Pittsburg, I took YW to Lunken . . . It seems like such a casual flight in comparison, no slowing down for the approach, no worries about speed in the descent, no prop lever, no gear--it was almost relaxing!

Plane went down in Oct, made the trip just before Christmas, I think it was February-ish when everything got fixed. Flew just enough in between to not forget what I was supposed to be learning. Checkride ended up being the end of April, when my target had been the previous Halloween to Thanksgiving.

At least you've still got plenty of good flying time left before winter icing sets in. :)

Did you look to see if the transponder antenna was dirty? On several aircraft I've flown the transponder was intermittent if there was a layer of grease/grime on the antenna. A quick wipe always solved the issue.

Jeff
Tried that a few months ago. Seemed to help, I think it is in the transponder itself. We have a fan dedicated to the avionics stack and our transponder sets directly above the dme. The issue at first always started when I was using the dme, but lately it has been more common when not using dme. I think it has something to do with the heat. Maybe something finally fried. Who knows. When i was climbing out Monday to head up to meet the dpe the first time, the controller at my TRSA asked me if I had two transponders on board, as he was getting two signals. It was blazing hot yesterday morning. I researched a bit of this particular model of transponder(Narco AT165) and it seems like some of them may be defective. I dont know, I just feel dumb because these things only happen with the dpe aboard.

My plane fried something back in the panel just before my Instrument XC. Took three+ months to find parts and fix it. So instead of going to Allegheny outside Pittsburg, I took YW to Lunken . . . It seems like such a casual flight in comparison, no slowing down for the approach, no worries about speed in the descent, no prop lever, no gear--it was almost relaxing!

Plane went down in Oct, made the trip just before Christmas, I think it was February-ish when everything got fixed. Flew just enough in between to not forget what I was supposed to be learning. Checkride ended up being the end of April, when my target had been the previous Halloween to Thanksgiving.

At least you've still got plenty of good flying time left before winter icing sets in. :)

She recommended 68V to use as YW seems to have some unwanted turning characteristics develop. I guess we will wait and see what happens with the shop on Tuesday. It bench tested fine when we had the IFR cert done in April. Just frustrating it always happens when IM flying.

Im glad to know Im not the only one who Murphy likes to fly with. I appreciate all the words of encouragement. At this point Im so close to finishing that I want to do it out of spite, just because. /QUOTE]

No, it isn't Murphy. It is O'Schetskey (oh sh**tsky). O'Schetskey's law is "Murphy was an incurable optimist"'

It's not meant to be. If you quit now, you'd save so much money and time that would be best spent playing golf.

Update..

Got the transponder issues squared away, passed the flying part of the check ride this morning!!!

Winds at 3000 were about 30 knots. Called dpe to ask his thoughts, as I was of the mind to reschedule. Surface winds were forecasted to stay around 8 knots but they picked up to 13 gusting 20. Luckily right down the runway for the ride. Above 3k smooth as silk, below was moderate chop. Wasn't feeling good about it but I'm glad I did it now.

Flew up,got a different runway assignment as I was entering a downwind, but landed no prob. Met him, took off did an RNAV to low approach, missed, held at vor for three laps, first time I had to deal with that much wind correction angle, thought I would blow it there, but thank goodness I didn't. From the vor did a vor approach to circle and touch and go. Then vectored for an ILS partial panel. Landed taxi back. Exhale. It's over!

I flew like crap I thought, examiner agreed, which I appreciated, had some good advice for me on debrief even telling me I flew sloppy, within tolerance, but sloppy. Gave me some great advice and checklist pointers to follow.

Had a scattered layer at 6000 between airport where I met dpe and home. Filed for 6k flew home. Got to fly through two wisps of a cloud. Winds were gusting to 22 when I got home from 040 on runway 12. Landed first try no bounce and on centerline.
After all the bull and problems I had getting here, flying in the wind and passing this ride was definitely a confidence booster. I'm glad this thing is over! Now for some Rolling Rock!

No time for Rolling Rock. Look for an airport that has about a 1000 AGL ceiling and go fly there. Nothing like breaking out of actual conditions, instead of raising the foggles, and seeing the runway in front of you to build confidence.

Now wasn't it better to stick with it..?? :happydance:

Congratulations! Glad you stuck it out.
Thanks! Me too.

No time for Rolling Rock. Look for an airport that has about a 1000 AGL ceiling and go fly there. Nothing like breaking out of actual conditions, instead of raising the foggles, and seeing the runway in front of you to build confidence.

Now wasn't it better to stick with it..?? :happydance:

Yes very worth it. Forecast is severe clear rest of this weekend, hoping that changes!

Congratulations!

Thanks!

Back