I don't know how to feel about electric bikes...

Full disclosure, I use strava but I dont know why. I never go back and look at any of the data. I used to think it would be good to see miles ridden but google maps can do that. I still always start recording prior to rides. I don't have any friends on the strava app either.

Having hit the high side of 60, I would take my regular bike to Oshkosh, I did not ride the bike that often, and my knees were killing me on the " hills" in Camp Scholler, I sat there and looked at every contraption that people bring to ride at the OSH county fair, scooters were abundant but I have no real use for one, 4 wheeler same thing, Side by side too big to haul, so looked at ebikes, they are fun, and it did what I wanted it to do, yes a toy but a fun one, got a great deal from the Crazy guy in Madison WI, big selection and they were super helpful lot of nice ebikes under 2 grand that are built well and have all the goodies, the throttle is fun to give that get going push, most people I know that have them are older and have knee issues Now I can blow by the guys trying to go up those hills,

If you think you're getting exercise on an eBike, you're a moron.

I bought a pair of folding non-eBikes for the airplane. They fit in the back easily, and were easy to set up. But, I would much rather have gotten a folding eBike. The primary use of them will be on vacations and fun day trips. I get my exercise at the gym, and so does my wife. Neither one of us were enjoying humping these things up and down the few hills on Block Island a few weeks ago, getting drenched in sweat. It also sucks pedaling a bike when you have a buzz.

I guess its better than sitting on the couch, but I wouldn't call it "exercise".
Walking is better than sitting on a couch, but there are people who wouldn’t call it exercise because it isn’t running. As @FastEddieB said, you can add as much or as little effort to the ride as you choose. If it gets you riding to the grocery store instead of driving when you wouldn’t make the trip on a non-ebike, it’s not only exercise, but it’s also getting fresh air (something sorely lacking in far too many people’s lives, in my observation.)

What the hell is wrong with you people? oooh it's cheating! oooh, it's for beginners! ooh! it's not real exercise!

Electric bikes are transport, and fill a particular niche in the transport landscape.
  • They are smaller, cheaper, and slower than cars. They allow you to ride in places you can't take cars - trails etc.
  • They are less effort than normal bikes, which allow you to go further, or up steeper hills, or against stronger winds than a normal bike, and arrive at your destination without being as sweaty, but they are heavier and more expensive than normal bikes.
  • They have better range and more luggage capacity than electric scooters.
  • They are faster than walking, but not as flexible.
Just like airplanes, it's all about the mission.

That depends. One can use a heart rate monitor, or just level of perceived exertion, to exercise at any desired level. One can just go farther, which appeals to some.

Very true. I just bought a Pedego City Commuter (48V Li-ion pack, 500-watt hub motor) and love it for the dial-the-exertion feature with its five levels of assist. Anyone who says pushing a 60-lb. bike with balloon tires to 25 mph (5 mph over the governed speed) is not getting any exercise simply hasn't tried it. I like the bursts of speed...more strength training than cardio for sure. And I love that, for a given level of exertion, I can cover significantly more ground and feel like I'm really going somewhere.

It's great--and legal--for the 10-mile trail along the creek that heads down to the ocean, but the slog uphill to get home is where I dial up the assist, still with bursts to really feel the burn if only for short intervals. So here I am, outside on a bike, enjoying the sights and smells of nature and getting some exercise. If not for the assist, I might not be on a bike at all. What's not to like? It keeps me away from cars on the street and becoming a
statistic.

The City Commuter is a very traditional looking machine, precisely why I like it. The upright riding position takes a lot of stress off the wrists & shoulders and the seat is ultra comfy.

IMG_5856.jpg

Very true. I just bought a Pedego City Commuter (48V Li-ion pack, 500-watt hub motor) and love it for the dial-the-exertion feature with its five levels of assist. Anyone who says pushing a 60-lb. bike with balloon tires to 25 mph (5 mph over the governed speed) is not getting any exercise simply hasn't tried it. I like the bursts of speed...more strength training than cardio for sure. And I love that, for a given level of exertion, I can cover significantly more ground and feel like I'm really going somewhere.

It's great--and legal--for the 10-mile trail along the creek that heads down to the ocean, but the slog uphill to get home is where I dial up the assist, still with bursts to really feel the burn if only for short intervals. So here I am, outside on a bike, enjoying the sights and smells of nature and getting some exercise. If not for the assist, I might not be on a bike at all. What's not to like? It keeps me away from cars on the street and becoming a
statistic.

The City Commuter is a very traditional looking machine, precisely why I like it. The upright riding position takes a lot of stress off the wrists & shoulders and the seat is ultra comfy.

View attachment 97811

The problem is that you are not getting fun and exercise the way others think that you should. Stop it.

With $4.30 gas an e-bike mighty have to become my main wheels one day.

Though I still have flashbacks anytime I see bikes discussed on an av forum. :frown2:

I live in an airport community with 188 housing units , 2 playgrounds , and several post office boxes ..... one smart mother bought a cheap china electric bike .... she can quickly and easily check on her children in the playgrounds and pick up her mail ....

I used to talk trash about them too. Then I rode one. They are super fun and you can cover twice the distance with the same workout.

You know, one day, it may be about covering distance, and it kind of is now I guess. But part of the coolness about biking, to me anyway, is being able to cover dozens of miles, if not a hundred miles, with the sole source of propulsion being myself.

Some of the e-bikes I see range from heavy beasts with super thick tires that have pedals for show only, to something you could actually probably manage to propel for five or six miles under your own power if you had to. I could see using the latter as a trail friendly commute bike, but for the former, I'd rather have a street capable scooter like a Honda PCX. Where I live there is little advantage to using the bike trail as a means to get from point A to point B as few go any useful places to begin with.

But for exercise, I'm with @PaulS. I don't do it much anymore, but I used to routinely go on 80 mile bike trips on a Saturday. If I go 80 miles on a bicycle, I want 80 miles worth of exercise. Plus, I don't think there are many ebikes out there with that kind of range.

Interesting thread. For the past ~15 years, I've rode my bike into work 3-4 days/week. The last couple of years prior to COVID, people would blow by me on electric bikes. When I'm huffing and puffing in 90+ degree temps I think of how nice it would be to flip a switch and have some assistance. I've gone as far as checking out electric bikes at the local bike shop. I keep going back to why I ride in. I do it for the exercise. Electric defeats that purpose. I'm also worried about theft. Immediately prior to COVID, thieves stole the entire bike rack of bikes in downdown Charlotte where I lock my bike. My commuter bike is worth about $200. I would be extremely ****ed if a $3K bike was stolen. Given that, I'm fine resuming riding my commuter bike in the fall.

I have an older friend with a heart condition that still rides everyday. His Doc says riding is good exercise for him but doesn’t want him doing hills. The e-bike has allowed him to continue riding bikes (uphill also, with e-assist) for exercise. Seems like a win-win situation for him.

I used to talk trash about them too. Then I rode one. They are super fun and you can cover twice the distance with the same workout.
This is my story as well. My elderly parents bought a pair of the fat tire ebikes (they live in the sticks, far from any paved roads). My girlfriend and I borrowed them one day, and we had a blast. I would still prefer a regular bike for exercise, but now I'd like folding ebikes for the plane, when I just want to get someplace and not arrive all sweaty like I do on our folding pedal bikes.
And if it bothers you to see people logging their ebike rides, I think you need to re-assess why you're logging your own rides.

So I see all these people tooling around on electric bicycles. People that don't seem to have a legitimate need for one except that they can get the 'cycling experience' without doing the cycling. I mean, I get the point of them. If you can't drive, and you need a commute vehicle, great!
Why fuss about people use e-bikes to get around even if they can drive and afford a car? It doesn't hurt you any as a car driver — in fact, you get less-crowded roads, less competition for parking, and shorter lines at the gas station, so maybe you should thank them.

Why fuss about people use e-bikes to get around even if they can drive and afford a car? It doesn't hurt you any as a car driver — in fact, you get less-crowded roads, less competition for parking, and shorter lines at the gas station, so maybe you should thank them.

I agree with you. I'm not fussing about those people.

I'm fussing about the people that are tooling around on e bikes in the guise of getting exercise, placing a demand on the power grid, and the environmental burden of the battery manufacturers. They are not offsetting car trips. Oh I do see the guys in their work clothes on the way to the office, and I think that's great.

In fact my very last Strava stalking session, "Wendy the Wanker" has huge bike riding stats in terms of distance, speed and climb, all unashamably accrued on an e-bike. Don't get me wrong, Wendy's Strava wanking doesn't put me out, but it does categorize her as a person.

I'm fussing about the people that are tooling around on e bikes in the guise of getting exercise

Who cares? They're having fun and they're outside doing something rather than sitting in front of a TV.

As for the 'guise of getting exercise', there are various types of electric assists for bikes. You can dial in as much or little assist as you want. If you live in a hilly area, the electric assist may make it much more pleasant to ride up a challenging hill. It could prevent people from having to get off/walk. Or you can ride faster/further than otherwise possible which may encourage more frequent use and in the long-term, better fitness.

It also may be a way to allow a less strong/fit spouse to keep up with a stronger more fit one making rides together more fun.

placing a demand on the power grid, and the environmental burden of the battery manufacturers.

Says someone who flys (owns?) a single engine plane that burns leaded gas?

Don't get me wrong. I (personally) have no problem with people flying light planes for fun. But you can't go off on the environmental burden of battery manufacturers while still going up and shooting approaches or getting a $100 hamburger in a 1970s spam can.

If you want something legitimate to get fussed about with e-bikes, you can take up the issue of whether they should be allowed to share mixed-use recreational paths with walkers, joggers, and unpowered bicycles, or whether they should have to go on the road with other vehicles. You'll hear a lot of strong opinions on that point (both ways).

Here's my rant: in Ottawa, our mixed-use recreational paths have a 20 km/h speed limit for cyclists. Personally, I'm happy with e-bikes and e-scooters (and electric wheelchairs, golf-cart-type thingies, etc) to share the paths with the rest of us as long as they respect that limit, but if they want to go flying along at 35 or 40 km/h they need to be on the road.

But you can't go off on the environmental burden of battery manufacturers while still going up and shooting approaches or getting a $100 hamburger in a 1970s spam can.

Sure I can. I just did.

If you want something legitimate to get fussed about with e-bikes, you can take up the issue of whether they should be allowed to share mixed-use recreational paths with walkers, joggers, and unpowered bicycles, or whether they should have to go on the road with other vehicles. You'll hear a lot of strong opinions on that point (both ways).

Here's my rant: in Ottawa, our mixed-use recreational paths have a 20 km/h speed limit for cyclists. Personally, I'm happy with e-bikes and e-scooters (and electric wheelchairs, golf-cart-type thingies, etc) to share the paths with the rest of us as long as they respect that limit, but if they want to go flying along at 35 or 40 km/h they need to be on the road.

A 20 kph limitation on a trail for a bicycle is enough to be a deal killer it if it were to actually be enforced. I normally ride a flat road pace of 17 mph, and going 24 mph (40 kph) on a sprint or a downhill would not be abnormal. But, the abundance of pedestrians and other traffic on the trails generally keeps me off of them anyway.

A 20 kph limitation on a trail for a bicycle is enough to be a deal killer it if it were to actually be enforced. I normally ride a flat road pace of 17 mph, and going 24 mph (40 kph) on a sprint or a downhill would not be abnormal. But, the abundance of pedestrians and other traffic on the trails generally keeps me off of them anyway.
Exactly. The serious cyclists ride on the road or on dedicated bike paths/lanes, not on the mixed-use ones.

The challenge is to get the city to recognise that mixed-use paths don't fill the need for actual bike lanes, because no one wants to commute 20 km to work restricted to <= 20 km/h, in a bicycle any more than in a car.

Really? You're going to go there? I call it a non-sequitur.

You are bellyaching about people putting a strain on the power-grid to charge their e-bikes for recreational purposes yet you are a private pilot who presumably doesn't always have a work related reason to get into your plane.
Yeah, that makes you a hypocrite.

As for batteries, the amount of electricity used to charge an e-bike battery is a red herring — 500–800 watt hours is typical for a full battery charge the last I heard (so the same as running a laptop computer for 5 hours or so). However, @Sac Arrow does have a point about manufacture and disposal — these batteries (laptop, mobile phone, or e-bike) are going to be the next generation's toxic-waste catastrophe. :(

I have a friend who rides and bought his wife an e-bike so he doesn't have to keep stopping to wait for her. I know people who would never be able to peddle a bike more than a couple miles. I really don't have a problem with those people on an e-bike.

UNLESS, they are moping along at 12 mph, to extend their range, I come up behind them, try to pass and they speed up, just long enough so that I can't pass. Then they slow down back to 12 mph, only to repeat the whole process again. And even though this doesn't really directly affect me, the people on Zwift, you come up on, start to pass, then the go from barely 100 watts, to 800 watts. F. all those people.

Unless you're Amish, I have to call critics of E-Bikes hypocrites. I have one and would still be sitting around watching youtube or netflix when I'm not out riding. I don't commute with it but it gets me out of the house and I can work up a sweat. I'll ride out to the community mail boxes and check today's mail which previously called for a car ride. You critics do know that you can dial in the amount of effort you want to exert, don't you? How is this different than dialing up or down the resistance on a stationary bike? On an E-Bike you get a real change of scenery and can visit neighbors along the way.

As for batteries, the amount of electricity used to charge an e-bike battery is a red herring — 500–800 watt hours is typical for a full battery charge the last I heard (so the same as running a laptop computer for 5 hours or so). However, @Sac Arrow does have a point about manufacture and disposal — these batteries (laptop, mobile phone, or e-bike) are going to be the next generation's toxic-waste catastrophe. :(

That's one of the gripes I have with all this chinese chit (like everything apple) that doesn't use removable batteries. The batteries are still the factor that limits the useful life of all these products. The entire bicycle becomes disposable. I see some of these conversion kits. At least, after the batteries poop out, you can either re-wire them with another chinese battery pack, or you can take it all off and return the condition to a standard bicycle.

UNLESS, they are moping along at 12 mph, to extend their range, I come up behind them, try to pass and they speed up, just long enough so that I can't pass. Then they slow down back to 12 mph, only to repeat the whole process again. And even though this doesn't really directly affect me, the people on Zwift, you come up on, start to pass, then the go from barely 100 watts, to 800 watts. F. all those people.

I detest when drivers do that in cars.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

That's one of the gripes I have with all this chinese chit (like everything apple) that doesn't use removable batteries. The batteries are still the factor that limits the useful life of all these products. The entire bicycle becomes disposable. I see some of these conversion kits. At least, after the batteries poop out, you can either re-wire them with another chinese battery pack, or you can take it all off and return the condition to a standard bicycle.
All of the ebikes I have looked at recently have swappable or replaceable batteries.
This could be a process of self selection since I am looking at ebikes well received by some reviewer on the web.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

... Don't get me wrong, Wendy's Strava wanking doesn't put me out, but it does categorize her as a person.
Reminds me of the Earl Nightingale quote, "When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself."

They are the new breed of Strava wankers. The ebike riders that post their rides to Strava, making Lance look like he's riding a toddler's tricycle.

That seems really lame. I use Strava to log my workouts and I live on a hill. The whole purpose is to record your performance and compare it to your peers...

Then again, if I were to ever get myself an electric assisted bike, I would use those watts to burn straight up the roads I have to traverse now...

Oh, great. Now I have an idea planted in my head. I wonder how much those things cost?

I have a friend who's an electrical engineer. He set up a regular battery and power assist on a regular bicycle a few years ago, and has had a blast with it (especially since it's not obvious to anyone looking).

Back