I don't feel normal; I feel like a pilot!

Michele

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michele
This is a "I passed my check ride story" and I confess to being excited and cross posting.
I live and work in New York and started my flight training one year ago. I can't tell you how sweet passing was for me. When the examiner uttered the words that I passed, I knew I'd heard correctly, but I thought surely I'd heard wrong. That was one of my sweetest moments.

The next day I exercised my privileges and took my husband up for a $100 hamburger. And the day after that, yesterday, I took him up for another expensive burger further away and that burger tasted even better. When I came back from that trip, people from my school were standing outside the hanger watching me land. A perfect weekend. I'm home now trying to fit back into my normal routine, but I don't feel normal-I feel like a pilot.
:D :D :D

Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy it and keep learning. :)

Hello and Welcome to PoA!!! Congratulations. We must get together. I live in White Plains, just a few minutes from HPN, but my plane lives in Bridgeport because HPN just got too expensive while Hubby (he flies too) was looking for a job.

Congratulations! I fly out of (and got my training at) KORL as well. Will you fly out of executive any more or just in New York?

John

Hello and Welcome to PoA!!! Congratulations. We must get together. I live in White Plains, just a few minutes from HPN, but my plane lives in Bridgeport because HPN just got too expensive while Hubby (he flies too) was looking for a job.
Great, an area pilot!! Thanks for the congrats. I live in Cortlandt Manor (near Yorktown) and frequently go to FAASaftey meetings in Danbury. My husband doesn't fly (yet) but yes, we should get together. I'll PM you.

Congratulations! I fly out of (and got my training at) KORL as well. Will you fly out of executive any more or just in New York?John
Hi John, ORL is in my blood and I'll always go back down to fly...besides, so far that's the only plane anybody'll let me rent. :smile: I'll probably need a flying fix soon, but I won't be able to get off work until maybe June or so. So yes, looking to get back early in the summer. I fly with Flight Ready Aviation on the Sheltair ramp. Do you know Jordan Anderson (cool dude, awesome pilot)?

Great, an area pilot!! Thanks for the congrats. I live in Cortlandt Manor (near Yorktown) and frequently go to FAASaftey meetings in Danbury. My husband doesn't fly (yet) but yes, we should get together. I'll PM you.

Hi John, ORL is in my blood and I'll always go back down to fly...besides, so far that's the only plane anybody'll let me rent. :smile: I'll probably need a flying fix soon, but I won't be able to get off work until maybe June or so. So yes, looking to get back early in the summer. I fly with Flight Ready Aviation on the Sheltair ramp. Do you know Jordan Anderson (cool dude, awesome pilot)?

No, I flew with a local flying club (CAP Flying) until they went under. Now I fly with Orlando Club Flying - both out of Showalter on the north ramp. But I have made both of those $100 hamburger trips. You should also get out to Cedar Key (KCDK) sometime. It's an interesting place and a great use of GA. It's just about an hour of flying time but would take 4 hours by car. It's on an island in the Gulf of Mexico and there's some interesting shops and resturants as well as wildlife boat tours etc.

Congratulations again!
John

Yea! Way to go ! Good for you to stick with it and win.

Congratulations :cheerswine:

Well congratulations!!
I too did my check ride out of KORL.
Who administered your check ride?
I loved flying from KORL because it seemed that all good $100 hamburgers were never too far.
I flew out of Air Orlando but there's no one left there that I know.

Don't forget to order your "FAA Licensed Pilot" license plate frame for your car.

You'll never again be able to ignore the sound of a plane flying overhead without instinctively looking up to see it.

TTFN

David - KFHB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well congratulations!!
I too did my check ride out of KORL.
Who administered your check ride?
I loved flying from KORL because it seemed that all good $100 hamburgers were never too far.
I flew out of Air Orlando but there's no one left there that I know.

Don't forget to order your "FAA Licensed Pilot" license plate frame for your car.

You'll never again be able to ignore the sound of a plane flying overhead without instinctively looking up to see it.

TTFN

David - KFHB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi David, thanks for the congrats! I fly with Flight Ready Aviation at Sheltair on the West ramp. I saw the signs for Air Orlando, but never checked them out. I enjoy using ORL as my second home airport and you're right it is centrally located. Yep, you're right about planes overhead...when I'm driving and hear aircraft I always check for separation. :D

Only a pilot, who has gone through all the rigamarole to get their ticket, truly understands what you are feeling. (That's what's so great about this group) Congrats!!

Only a pilot, who has gone through all the rigamarole to get their ticket, truly understands what you are feeling. (That's what's so great about this group) Congrats!!
Yes, this is a great group and you've all made wonderful postings. I'm overwhelmed by the fraternity, well-wishing, great ideas and friendship offers. ...and yes, I'm STILL grinning and pinching myself. :goofy::goofy::goofy:

Fly often, fly safe!!

Last edited:
You will never be the same for you have tasted flight...
You will never see the same for you have seen from above...
You will never feel the same for you have taken your life and your ship in your hands...
You are now an AIRMAN and no one can ever take that from you...
Yes, they can take that piece of paper, and age can take the vision and the reflexes, but the mind and the trembling hands will always remember the feel of the wheel and the skip as the ship leaves the ground... The eyes, even as they only see dimly with age and time, will still remember and see the white clouds, and the green ground, and the blue sky, until they finally see no more...
Welcome AIRMAN, welcome to the sky...

denny-o

Congratulations, Nina! :thumbsup:

I can't tell you how sweet passing was for me. When the examiner uttered the words that I passed, I knew I'd heard correctly, but I thought surely I'd heard wrong. That was one of my greatest/happiness moments and yes, I cried. :yesnod:
I love moments like that, when I have an aviation experience that gives me a happy cry. :yes:

I didn't leave Florida for New York immediately. The next day I exercised my privileges and took my husband up for a $100 hamburger at the Space Coast airport restaurant, The Outer Marker. And the day after that, Wednesday-2 days ago, I took him up for another expensive burger further away at Flagler airport and that burger tasted even better. When I came back from that trip, people from my school were standing outside the hanger watching me land. A perfect weekend ended with them applauding my perfect landing.

What a wonderful way to start out as a private pilot. :yes: I bet your husband is very proud of you.

I'm home now trying to fit back into my normal routine, but I don't feel normal-I feel like a pilot. :D :D :D
It's hard to come down off Cloud Nine sometimes. :D

You will never be the same for you have tasted flight...
You will never see the same for you have seen from above...
You will never feel the same for you have taken your life and your ship in your hands...
You are now an AIRMAN and no one can ever take that from you...
Yes, they can take that piece of paper, and age can take the vision and the reflexes, but the mind and the trembling hands will always remember the feel of the wheel and the skip as the ship leaves the ground... The eyes, even as they only see dimly with age and time, will still remember and see the white clouds, and the green ground, and the blue sky, until they finally see no more...
Welcome AIRMAN, welcome to the sky...

denny-o

Denny, what a beautiful poem! Just when I thought it couldn't get any better. Thank you. :blowingkisses:

Last edited:
Congratulations! It's great to see another female pilot up in the air! You'll have to head over to Philadelphia in May to join us at the Wings FlyBQ at KLOM!

Congratulations from me, too!
smilie.php
:D :smile:

My wife passed her checkride last Friday in St. Augustine Florida. :yesnod:
If everything goes well she'll fly me from tomorrow on in a 172 along the east coast up to New York and back. :smile:

Cheers and anjoy your new priviliges,

Oliver

smilie.php

If everything goes well she'll fly me from tomorrow on in a 172 along the east coast up to New York and back. :smile:

Cheers and anjoy your new priviliges,

Oliver

Just out of curiosity...You are also a licensed pilot, and you are both sharing the flying together on this flight? yes?

That would be a heck of a XC flight for any newly minted PP to fly right out of the box...

Congratulations! It's great to see another female pilot up in the air! You'll have to head over to Philadelphia in May to join us at the Wings FlyBQ at KLOM!

Thanks for the congrats and the invite. BTW, who is "us" and what is the Wings FlyBQ? Thanks again.

Last edited:
smilie.php

Cheers and anjoy your new priviliges, Oliver
Congrats to your wife!! :cheerswine::thumbsup:
What a great break-in cross-country!! :D:D

Well, since today I am a licensed pilot too. :D :yesnod: Cheers,Oliver
How wonderful and amazing that you and your wife are starting out on piloting privileges together. My best wishes for a great flying life to the both of you!! :rollercoaster::rollercoaster:

Last edited:
Congrats! Nothing like hearing "Passed, first try." and getting that paper certificate off the printer!

"Wow, Really? Am I REALLY qualified!?!?!"

YES YOU ARE! Keep practicing, and stay sharp!

And most of all, good job!

Congratulations! Way to go staying the course. It is a great feeling when you hear those two very powerful words. "You Passed!" Awesome job. Any plans to go after another rating?

Jeff

Congratulations! Way to go staying the course. It is a great feeling when you hear those two very powerful words. "You Passed!" Awesome job. Any plans to go after another rating? Jeff
Oh ok, you're one of those, "No rest for the weary" types. I am going to have fun flying vfr for a long while. I was in the training environment way too long :mad2: and almost forgot what the fun was. IFR is definitely in the plans, but first I want to reunite with the F-for Fun in Flying! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Back