I didn’t know ForeFlight had this

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
One of the features of FF I have come to appreciate is the Documents section. Here we can organize all sorts of documents for easy reference. From personal things to FAA things.

Before, if we wanted to add FAA things, it was easily done by looking at the “catalog” of available material, making the selection, and it would be downloaded to our devices. But then the organization of everything was left to us.

What is new is that FF has a thing called “Drives” that contain and organize references from the FAA, ForeFlight, Jeppesen, and Nav Canada

423BB9C1-BE67-4E71-9382-94D24C1696E2.png

Browsing through the FAA section I am finding all the handbooks of significance, chart legends, the weather AC’s and more.

This feature is helpful to me when I want to self answer a question and I know the answer is in one of these publications. Now I have one space to find the pubs and do my lookup.

Thought I would share in case others would find this useful.

I have found a lot of great downloads in that section! I've also uploaded my own documents for quick reference.

I won’t store documents anymore in ForeFlight if they aren’t from ForeFlight or FAA because that’s how I lost my PDFs for my POH etc. ForeFlight wasn’t archiving these anywhere, so when I needed to delete the app and replace it, I lost all those documents.

It is nice, though, for the FAA publications. It can easily replace those, if you need to reinstall the app. I have to use a notes app now for my other PDFs.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the documents page. Good info that it doesn't archive anything you add. I have Goodnotes for most of my CFI stuff so that works well, but it's nice having all of the FAA pubs easily available.

Been using Documents since the beginning of the feature. I don't understand the archive problem since I can't imagine relying on only one depository for my electronic documents, and certainly not Foreflight. My personal Foreflight folder is just a connection to a DropBox folder which, in turn, is connected to a folder on my PC, which in turn is backed up to... etc. If anything, I have the opposite problem - I cant seem to be able to throw anything away! :D

I also use it for Foreflight and FAA publications in addition to personal ones. But in all cases, it's pretty limited. Since I fly multiple aircraft, I have aircraft, avionics and accessory manuals galore. Backup checklists, yes, but not manuals. There are better managers for multiple, large documents. Same for FAA handbooks - so far, anyway, I haven't found a need to consult Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators in flight or as part of my flight planning ;)

I use Foreflight docs to store handy things like a POH, etc, but they are also on my computer harddrive in the event that something happens to FF or my iPad. I also use the ability to attach docs to individual flights for my work trips, and put the hotel and rental car reservations there, so that my co worker has access to them as well.

Did you know FF has a (slightly hidden) place depicting the general direction or coverage areas for sids/stars.....so there is less guessing about which ones might work?

Did you know FF has a (slightly hidden) place depicting the general direction or coverage areas for sids/stars.....so there is less guessing about which ones might work?

That one is pretty sweet

I have used it from my beginning with F ca. 2011. Used to it was easy to download most any document to it fast and easy, but something has been changed in the last six months or so that prevents a quick and easy download of documents. I have a few non aviation documents in there because it makes a good book viewer.

That was a much appreciated innovation when it became available. Really aided in making planning flights and determining routes a simpler process.

Surprised you didn’t know it was there Mike.

I uploaded a lot of references and used a lot of theirs, but ForeFlight would never EVER be my only place to put those, nor my logbook. I want control over my backups and ability to test them.

They’re nice “side” features.

Plenty of document viewer apps that’ll both sync to a cloud source for “read anywhere” and also sync locally to the device for “this podunk place doesn’t have internet”.

Back