I didn't think I would but - I HEART Long EZ Airplanes

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Don't get me wrong, when I walked up to it and saw the TINY space in the middle for humans, I thought to myself:

"I am NOT getting in that plane!!!"

After all, when I first laid eyes on an experimental aircraft in my early training, I thought it was "broken" and "missing a wheel" since it was plopped down on its nose and not tied up.

Everything was bass-ackwards:

The elevator was in the wrong place (up front, on the canard thingie).

The wings were bent upwards

The propeller was in the wrong place (in the back instead of in the front)

There (seemed to be) no nose wheel / nose gear

And on and on.

But then . . . we took off.

Oh my gosh.

What an AWESOME PLANE!!!

Pictures to come when I get them uploaded .... we met at KDVO (Gnoss), flew to Booneville (spelling?) D83, had lunch / explored the town. The runway / taxiway had horses on it and an apparently famous outhouse.

Thanks, Dave, for such an awesome day, and even letting me have a little stick time. In the back, there are no rudders, and no power, and no instruments, so he needed to tell me what they were reading, etc. as I "sort of" flew. The view is obscured by the wings in the back for the passenger so it is hard to see things. At one point I was told we flew over 200+ and that is the first time I've ever gone that fast.

And a new plane to add to the log book, can't believe I'm up to 7 planes now . . . . where some crazy person has given me "control" for at least a few minutes.

Kimberly

Log it as 'aircraft familiarization' and PIC, because you were! About 0.9 on the Hobbs. Glad you had fun. This plane put the fun back into flying for me. See ya next time. :goofy:

Log it as 'aircraft familiarization' and PIC, because you were! About 0.9 on the Hobbs. Glad you had fun. This plane put the fun back into flying for me. See ya next time. :goofy:

Oh I forgot to tell you:

If you are:

Cleaning the hangar

Working on the plane

Need help

I will gladly drive the 1-2 hours to where you are located. It would do me good to learn more about aviation so don't worry, I am not only interested in stick time, I'm eager to help and to learn. Hope to see you again real soon.

Kimberly

PS - What types of "volunteers" do those Patriot jets need? It is not that close to me but on weekends I might be able to lend a hand. Is there anything a pilot can do to help them out in person? I don't have the skills and knowledge that you have, but you mentioned they run from volunteers.

6339372214_3acd30cca1_b.jpg

If you look closely, you can see:

We too get those gorgeous fall colors here in California!

Kimberly

According to Dave, Amelia landed here long ago (or another famous female aviator) and needed to go to the restroom. She had to go door to door, knocking, asking to use people's house bathrooms. After that they supposedly built her this outhouse and created a T-Shirt for pilots, something like: Booneville, the place to go!

6339350728_5732ef8821_z.jpg

6339350110_534d41d4f2_z.jpg

According to Dave, Amelia landed here long ago (or another famous female aviator) and needed to go to the restroom. She had to go door to door, knocking, asking to use people's house bathrooms. After that they supposedly built her this outhouse and created a T-Shirt for pilots, something like: Booneville, the place to go!

6339350728_5732ef8821_z.jpg

6339350110_534d41d4f2_z.jpg
Do people still use it or do they have indoor plumbing now? :)

Glad you both had a good time. That looks like a cool airplane and a cool airport.

I googled it. Here is the true story:

"On the east side of the runway about halfway down you will find a secondary grass tiedown area, a public payphone, an information board with a map of the area, and a control tower (well, an outhouse). Apparently the outhouse has quite a pedigree. In the early 1980s, Amelia Reid was in the area for an airshow, landed at Boonville, and couldn't find a restroom. She knocked on every door on the neighboring road until someone finally let her in. The airport community decided this was a good excuse to put up a public outhouse. The event caused Boonville Airport to adopt the motto "Boonville - The place to go!". You can buy T-shirts with this motto and a picture of the outhouse (I'm not kidding) at the airport manager's house. The address and ordering information are available on the information board. Proceeds benefit the airport. Definitely a must-have!"

Kimberly

This is how they tie down planes (the non paved area):

Tires, spray painted white, then hooked up via rope to a metal ring:

6338600847_63e69a29b1_z.jpg

I have a friend who I think has a LONG EZ for sale. Well, at least pieces of one. Him and his dad started working on one many years ago, and never finished.

q17-1.jpg

I am so lucky to live and fly in California. This is the airport from the website. So pretty.

I have a friend who I think has a LONG EZ for sale. Well, at least pieces of one. Him and his dad started working on one many years ago, and never finished.

This pilot is, I think, the third owner. But like you said, the original builder spent YEARS on this plane. They take (I'm sure) a lot of work, money, and dedication.

PS - What types of "volunteers" do those Patriot jets need? It is not that close to me but on weekends I might be able to lend a hand. Is there anything a pilot can do to help them out in person? I don't have the skills and knowledge that you have, but you mentioned they run from volunteers.

They are all set now. I volunteered during the construction of the last two jets. After they were painted and the crew jet was remodeled all the work was done. Now it's just maintenance and that's done by the team members.

Attachments

• #5 Engine Run.jpg
    #5 Engine Run.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 34
  • #5 Painted.jpg
    #5 Painted.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 34
  • #5 Ready to Fly again.jpg
    #5 Ready to Fly again.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 33
  • #7 After First Flight.jpg
    #7 After First Flight.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 28
They are all set now. I volunteered during the construction of the last two jets. After they were painted and the crew jet was remodeled all the work was done. Now it's just maintenance and that's done by the team members.

Darn. Sounds like I missed out. Though I'm sure, in the years to come, I can be a part of more awesome projects.

When I flew in the back seat of a canard I used the front seaters ear cups for my pitch/roll reference. The horizon in level flight went right through them.

Looks like you are hooked on cheap, fun, speed.

This is how they tie down planes (the non paved area):

Tires, spray painted white, then hooked up via rope to a metal ring:

6338600847_63e69a29b1_z.jpg

Kimberly discovers common knowledge. That's how we roll here in the flat lands. Usually you have to use your own ropes.

There's some boundary to the west where the chains begin show up.

Way cool! I agree, they're goofy-looking airplanes, but sounds like you had a blast! Gnoss is that airport next to the interstate in the middle of the snake-infested field?

Way cool! I agree, they're goofy-looking airplanes, but sounds like you had a blast! Gnoss is that airport next to the interstate in the middle of the snake-infested field?

Yes, Novato Airport KDVO Gnoss Field.

They were VFR when we drove you back to SF after Petaluma was IFR. They are right next to the freeway and yesterday their bigger windsock was "backwards". It was blowing inside of itself / against itself. Odd.

Kimberly

Kimberly, how do get back there? Do you have to step on the wing?

Stan, it was complicated and I had to take a few tries at first after I was briefed by Pilot Dave.

Each foot had to be carefully planned / placed to end up back there. And I was too wide for the seat (damned hips) so I sort of just melted into the seat. Luckily I am not super tall or my head would have hit the canopy apparently. Definitely a snug fit.

Kimberly

Stan, it was complicated and I had to take a few tries at first after I was briefed by Pilot Dave.

Each foot had to be carefully planned / placed to end up back there. And I was too wide for the seat (damned hips) so I sort of just melted into the seat. Luckily I am not super tall or my head would have hit the canopy apparently. Definitely a snug fit.

Kimberly

Don't let her fool you. She floated into the back seat just like the angel she is! :yesnod:

OK where's my $20?

Instead of "hold your horses" it's "hold short for horses on taxiway bravo"!

Don't get me wrong, when I walked up to it and saw the TINY space in the middle for humans, I thought to myself:

"I am NOT getting in that plane!!!"

After all, when I first laid eyes on an experimental aircraft in my early training, I thought it was "broken" and "missing a wheel" since it was plopped down on its nose and not tied up.

Everything was bass-ackwards:

The elevator was in the wrong place (up front, on the canard thingie).

The wings were bent upwards

The propeller was in the wrong place (in the back instead of in the front)

There (seemed to be) no nose wheel / nose gear

And on and on.

But then . . . we took off.

Oh my gosh.

What an AWESOME PLANE!!!

Pictures to come when I get them uploaded .... we met at KDVO (Gnoss), flew to Booneville (spelling?) D83, had lunch / explored the town. The runway / taxiway had horses on it and an apparently famous outhouse.

Thanks, Dave, for such an awesome day, and even letting me have a little stick time. In the back, there are no rudders, and no power, and no instruments, so he needed to tell me what they were reading, etc. as I "sort of" flew. The view is obscured by the wings in the back for the passenger so it is hard to see things. At one point I was told we flew over 200+ and that is the first time I've ever gone that fast.

And a new plane to add to the log book, can't believe I'm up to 7 planes now . . . . where some crazy person has given me "control" for at least a few minutes.

Kimberly

Welcome to the world of experimental aircraft.

Welcome to the world of experimental aircraft.

Thanks, it certainly changed the way I think of them. I now know they are capable machines and not as slow / questionable as they look.

And the BF spent lots of hours on the computer looking up how to build one. I had to talk some sense into him since neither one of us has that kind of money and I don't think we should get a loan on an aircraft. We have debt and that should be paid off first. One day perhaps I will help build a plane in my garage which would be so cool.

Back