I didn't know Malibu's were this impressive.

midcap

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
midcap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/550-POWERED...ash=item3adbfe5c84:g:aE0AAOSw4DJYmJrU&vxp=mtr

From the listing,

KNOWN ICE, PRESSURIZED, AIR CONDITIONED, 225KTS, LOP 16GPH, 25,000' CEILING, 1,700NM RANGE, 1,380# USEFUL

That is hella impressive.

I just typed in a flight plan.

KHUM to GPT to 54J to TLH to KISM

2:19 hours........holy smokes!!!!!

That's a damn 13 hour drive with stops.

and only burning approx 32 gallons....

I'd burn 41 gallons driving my navigator there.:eek:

This seems to go to be true.

Last edited:
They are great right up to the minute the engine decides it's done and you find yourself in a glider.

No chute, or AoA. I'll pass.

But seriously, I've always liked the Malibu. Sexy beast.

LOL.....

seriously though, looks aside. That damn plane is more fuel efficient than my SUV and hauls so much ass it's not even funny.

I didn't know you could get somthing that fast that wasn't a Turbine.

IIRC the early ones had some handling issues and limited useful load. Had a friend once with a bad jones for one.

Tight interior, load-limited, good luck fitting one into a T hangar. Otherwise very nice.

Tight interior, load-limited, good luck fitting one into a T hangar. Otherwise very nice.

how tight?

I just looked at the POH and it has a Vne of 203kts....interesting, maybe he put 225kts as a typo,

Mirage runs a full-page ad in the Cirrus Pilot magazine just about every month. I don't know how many takers they get from the Cirrus community but it must be worth their while.

Unless I specifically had the need for more hauling capacity I would stick with the Cirrus.

Mirage runs a full-page ad in the Cirrus Pilot magazine just about every month. I don't know how many takers they get from the Cirrus community but it must be worth their while.

2 more seats make a difference, So I'd assume they get some business.

They are great right up to the minute the engine decides it's done and you find yourself in a glider.
With the 25000' cruising height quoted in the op and a 12:1 glide ratio, that's 60 miles range after losing an engine (zero wind), enough to find a good spot, if not a nice runway.

They are nice airplanes but don't let the cherry picked numbers fool you. To get that fuel burn at that speed you will need to be in the high teens low 20's. On your way to that altitude you will be sucking the fuel down rather quickly.

been a while since I was in one, prob. like a 340, perhaps a little smaller; up front is snug for me (6', 44L jacket) . Depends on how you're built. I swear all airplanes were designed for 5'9",150# pilots.

yeah...that's going to be snug.

I am 6' 48 jacket.

You are right. My Father in law is 5'9 150 and a 172 looks like it was made for him.

With the 25000' cruising height quoted in the op and a 12:1 glide ratio, that's 60 miles range after losing an engine (zero wind), enough to find a good spot, if not a nice runway.

Anywhere I am flying around the GOM, 60 miles is going to get me to an airport. That's impressive

yeah...that's going to be snug.

I am 6' 48 jacket.

You are right. My Father in law is 5'9 150 and a 172 looks like it was made for him.

Well, not specifically a Malibu but most GA planes were designed around the (today) mythical 180 lbs FAA person.

I'm about 6'0, a 38-40 jacket. I've always found the front seat to not go back far enough for me to be comfortable. My knees end up uncomfortably straddling the yoke. But they're nice flying airplanes. Something I'd certainly consider if I get to that point financially.

They are nice airplanes but don't let the cherry picked numbers fool you. To get that fuel burn at that speed you will need to be in the high teens low 20's. On your way to that altitude you will be sucking the fuel down rather quickly.

I figured that, the cruise # was just impressive, I wonder when you take into consideration your decent not burning much fuel how it washes out.

I don't know many men that light either.

Took my dad (5'8", ~160 lbs) to the LSA Expo several years ago and tired to get him a ride in the Legend Cub since he'd learned to fly in Cub's in the 1950's. My dad looked inside the Legend and commented that it looked bigger than he remembered it and the Legend sales guy said "They're 3" wider than the original because the pilots are wider today."

I figured that, the cruise # was just impressive, I wonder when you take into consideration your decent not burning much fuel how it washes out.
Not in my experience. You have to keep the manifold pressure up on decent so that you don't shock cool the engine and I usually run a little richer so that I don't get too lean. I suppose it also depends on how aggressive you get with the leaning on the climb up.

He's little optimistic on speed. I get about 200 on 13 to 14 gals. I plan for 17 gal and come out close with my climb. Takes me about 40 min depending on temps to climb to 25000 burning about 23 gal. That is with a 550. I am 5-11 and 235 and I fit just fine. I think it handles like a warrior at low speeds. Wish wings were 3 ft shorter for hanger situation but, I think about perfect plane for me. My useful load is 1408.1 lbs. I can hold about 700 lbs of fuel. When I flew to Florida in dec my true was between 265 and 280 with nice tailwind. It's all in flightaware. Did my annual recert in feb and when we did engine out from 7500 at best glide of 90 which made my spiral decent rate 380fpm took about 20 min to get down to pattern alt. Coulda ate lunch. I commonly do full power decents which puts me close to vne of 203 and true in middle 250s till lower. I usually start descending around 90 out or so depending on alt. By the way I have pictures showing speed and fuel burn for the naysayers. But doesn't have a chute I guess.

He's little optimistic on speed. I get about 200 on 13 to 14 gals. I plan for 17 gal and come out close with my climb. Takes me about 40 min depending on temps to climb to 25000 burning about 23 gal. That is with a 550. I am 5-11 and 235 and I fit just fine. I think it handles like a warrior at low speeds. Wish wings were 3 ft shorter for hanger situation but, I think about perfect plane for me. My useful load is 1408.1 lbs. I can hold about 700 lbs of fuel. When I flew to Florida in dec my true was between 265 and 280 with nice tailwind. It's all in flightaware. Did my annual recert in feb and when we did engine out from 7500 at best glide of 90 which made my spiral decent rate 380fpm took about 20 min to get down to pattern alt. Coulda ate lunch. I commonly do full power decents which puts me close to vne of 203 and true in middle 250s till lower. I usually start descending around 90 out or so depending on alt. By the way I have pictures showing speed and fuel burn for the naysayers. But doesn't have a chute I guess.

How often do you fly at O2 levels? By that I mean, would it be more economical to run a Malibu Matrix for most of your missions?

I think you mean ground speed but yes they are nice airplanes. I'm a bit too tall (6'6") to be comfortable in a PA46 but if I wasn't I'd be very tempted by a Meridian.

As you have pointed out, the glide ratio of these planes is impressive!

I agree with you that altitude gives an advantage and it is a very capable aircraft. Out west that altitude may not be enough advantage.

I think you mean ground speed but yes they are nice airplanes. I'm a bit too tall (6'6") to be comfortable in a PA46 but if I wasn't I'd be very tempted by a Meridian.

As you have pointed out, the glide ratio of these planes is impressive!
Countered by the ride in turbulence.

With that useful load could you carry a couple chutes in back? :cool:

I almost always fly above 12500. 16 to 23 are sweet spots. And I did mean gs not true. The matrix doesn't interest me. Any time I ask people to put on oxygen you'd think I was trying to kill them. I very seldom can't get out of a trubulence level, but have been in some in past years. Nothing to bad if passengers in back seat don't mind holding their selves down with hands on ceiling. Lol. But seriously not really much of issue. Main thing is not fitting in regular hanger.

Back