I did it!!!

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Passed my instrument checkride this morning!!! Very drained but deliriously happy. Thanks for all the info along the way.

Matt:goofy:

Congrats Matt, what a milestone! I'll bet you've really got your head in the clouds about now! :D

Congratulations, Matt! Go out and use it!

Now the real learning begins...

Congrats! What a great feeling of accomplishment, huh? Celebrate, relax and work hard to maintain the knowledge and skills.

mattaxelrod said:
Passed my instrument checkride this morning!!! Very drained but deliriously happy. Thanks for all the info along the way.

Congrats!

Good job, Matt. Congratulations.

Here's a question the examiner asked me after the checkride was successfully completed but before he had signed off on the papers he'd submit to the FAA:

"Do you feel confident you can fly an approach to minimums with your family aboard?"

Last edited:
Richard said:
Good job, Matt. Congratulations.

Here's a question the examiner asked me after the checkride was successfully completed but before he had signed off on the papers he'd submit to the FAA:

"Do you feel confident you can fly an approach to minimums with your family aboard?"

Honestly...no, not yet. It's baby steps for me.

Congrats Matt. I try to fly with a CFI every 4-6 weeks to stay sharp. I find that if I don't use it ofen I get a little sloppy. A good CFI will take care of that in a hurry!

Congratulations, Matt! I'm sure you are excited about that. I have three hours left and plans are to knock another training session out this weekend. I decided to take a few lessons with a different, and very well known instructor to become a more rounded IFR student. Actually my original IFR instructor hasn't put a student through in close to a year. The last time we went up he had me practise some holding patterns but he was very rusty and he (self admited) got confused. I lost all confidence in his ability to teach at that time and decided to finish up elsewhere. For the record, ALL holding pattern "inbound" legs (right or left hand turns) are going TOWARDS the fix. I knew this, KING teaches this, and every other instructor that I know of teaches this. He had me tracking "outbound" on the asigned radial. I asked how does he plan for me to time my inbound leg if I'm not flying towards the fix? :dunno: Hope to join you in the clouds soon :D

Congratulations Matt. Now you get to toss the hood for awhile and look out the window again.

mattaxelrod said:

A well-deserved congratulations for your accomplishment. You are now legal to routinely do extraordinary things, things which ordinary folks could never even fathom.

The IR is the hardest skill. Even CFI and ATP were easier :) Congratulations!

Matt, Matt, Matt! Congratulations! You must be so proud. We are all proud of you!

Ryan Ferguson said:
You are now legal to routinely do extraordinary things, things which ordinary folks could never even fathom.

You know, I think that sums it up nicely.

mattaxelrod said:
Passed my instrument checkride this morning!!! Very drained but deliriously happy.

Way to go, Matt! When you can, write up your "checkride story" and post it. Not only will we enjoy reading it, but you will too, a few more years down the road. Writing it up while the memories, feelings, emotions are all fresh makes a great story.

mattaxelrod said:

KUDOS to you. You earned that one !

And now in the "out of the mouth of non-pilots" file:

I tried to explain to my friend what the partial panel approach was , and that it was part of my examination. He replied, "So they test your ability to fly using the instruments by covering them up?"

And I just didn't have a good answer for that :)

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That IR ride sure is a wringer, isn't it? Tough tough tough. You should be proud!

--Kath

Hi Matt,

I was just going to email you and ask when the checkride WOULD BE!
Opps! Came onboard too late but not too late to say

CONGRATS!

I can only hope that I will be posting something similar by the end of August. That is my goal. I can see that I will be spending a lot of time at this Forum. Thanks, in advance, for sharing your knowledge!

Good going! Enjoy the rating
Lynn

Last edited:
mattaxelrod said:
And now in the "out of the mouth of non-pilots" file:

I tried to explain to my friend what the partial panel approach was , and that it was part of my examination. He replied, "So they test your ability to fly using the instruments by covering them up?"

And I just didn't have a good answer for that :)

Correct answer, "We are taught to use the Force." Then offer to take him up and show him how you do it with your eyes closed and hands off the controls. Of course, you will have armed the AP for a coupled ILS before beginning the demonstration.

Congratulations on a very major milestone.

Larry Liebscher said:
Of course, you will have armed the AP for a coupled ILS before beginning the demonstration.QUOTE]

AP? In my dreams, perhaps. :)

Back