Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Today, I declared an emergency. It was one of those cases where the problems began to accumulate until there were just too many to handle alone.

It was an easy flight that should have taken no more than 30 minutes – from my home base at Westchester County (HPN) to a maintenance facility at Bridgeport (BDR) to make a minor cosmetic change behind the instrument panel.

A palpable smoky summer haze filled the windless, cloudless sky that early morning. It's the kind of haze that makes you glad for the rain to come in the afternoon to wash both pollution and allergens away.

Shortly after takeoff, I chose an altitude of 2800 feet to get between the ceiling of Westchester's airspace and the floor of JFK's airspace and began setting up radio frequencies for Bridgeport. There would be less than fifteen minutes before Bridgeport's airspace would be before me. After setting each number, I peered into the sky, looking out for approaching bizjets and commuters. ATIS reported more of the same: Clear skies, no wind, haze and a dropping barometer warning of the afternoon cold front.

As soon as I was ready to call Bridgeport tower to request landing, I checked the newly upgraded GPS to get the distance. Instead of displaying the navigation page showing the flight plan I had automatically entered, the GPS was displaying the satellite page with the dismaying message that the satellite signals were lost. I flipped through the GPS pages looking in vain for navigation information and returned to the satellite page. Something was going wrong with this easy flight.

OK. I can handle this. The GPS is certainly not required to navigate 30 miles to Bridgeport. To get to Bridgeport from Westchester, you fly toward the Long Island Sound, follow the coast to the east until you find the airport on a jetty of land right after you pass candy-cane striped smokestacks.

As a backup, the Bridgeport VOR is on the field. Since I wasn't exactly sure of the distance from Bridgeport, I backtracked to Norwalk with its three distinctive islands in the Sound while dialing the VOR in on NAV 2. At this point, I distrusted NAV 1 in the G-530. Heading east again, I made sure the compass, Heading Indicator, and VOR were all registering a course of 090 and called Bridgeport Tower. I had forgotten that the Bridgeport VOR is inoperative. The needle wandered around aimlessly. Two things were going wrong with this easy flight.

I told Bridgeport tower that I was having problems with my navigation equipment but declined his offer of additional assistance. Descending to pattern altitude, I peered into the crappy sky, keeping the beachfront to my left, looking for a candy-cane smokestack and runways at the water's edge. It took forever. I glanced a couple of times at the worthless GPS to see whether I was making any groundspeed at all.

Finally, two crossing runways appeared to my left, but it didn't look quite right. I told tower the runways were in sight and asked whether he could see me just offshore. I was cleared for Runway 24 and started looking for the numbers. Tower asked me for a position report, leading me to believe he didn't see me. I was looking straight at the tower and he should have been able to see me. The runway number became visible. Runway 2. I'm starting to figure out how to get to Runway 24 when that little voice that lives somewhere in the back of my brain started shouting, "There is no Runway 2 at Bridgeport." Three things had gone wrong with this easy flight.

I was staring down the departure end of an unknown runway at pattern altitude. It took only seconds for everything to go straight into the crapper. I was in a 45* bank and couldn't maintain altitude or heading.

Still talking to Bridgeport Tower, I keyed the mike and said, "I'm declaring an emergency. I don't know where I am. I'm lost." I climbed back up to 2800 ft. while tower contacted New York Approach and got me a squawk code. A very professional controller vectored me away from New Haven's airspace and back to Bridgeport.

The story doesn't end here. At the FBO, I phoned Hubby to give him part of the story. Some things must be ladled out a little at a time, you know. "The GPS lost all of its satellites over Norwalk," I said. A CFI in the room looked up in sympathy.

An hour later, the same CFI came looking for me at the maintenance hangar. He had gone out with a student right after my phone call only to discover that the GPS in his aircraft lost all the satellites. Speculation between him and the mechanic led us to believe that sometimes when they are cleaning the smokestack, ionized particles spew out and interrupt GPS signals. The WAAS upgrade both airplanes had recently received to their GPS systems made them very sensitive to such emissions.

At least, that is the speculation. The mechanic left a voice-mail call with Garmin to see whether they concur.

Hi Aunt Peggy.

I landed right in front of you. I was Wiggins 8418 in the FedEX Caravan. The vis was crappy today. Glad to see you made it on the ground ok.

P.S. I was the good looking guy standing in front of ther FBO drinking Coffee that said Hi to you as you walked to the door. :)

I wish I had known. At that moment, I was not seeing or hearing anything. My knees were so wobbly it was just great to be on the ground.

Say 'hi' again next time.

P.S. I was the good looking guy standing in front of ther FBO drinking Coffee that said Hi to you as you walked to the door. :)
Eamon, you are not only good looking, you are cherubic looking with a sweet innocent smile. :)

Peggy, glad things turned out OK for you. I've been flying around your area the past several days, and have really become reliant on my GPS. I still have that sectional attached to my leg, but sometimes it seems tough to find things in unfamiliar territory for me.

I remember, shortly after I got my ticket, a flight with my wife up to Oklahoma for supper. Weather was "clear" with "7 miles" visibility in "haze." It was only after I got up to altitude (way high, I recall, probably 5,500'!) that I realized what haze could be. Look up, see blue sky; look down, see the ground; look at the horizon and see.... nothing. It is amazing how different haze makes everything look, and I was terrified.

I also realized how much we meekly rely upon the GPS when I had an electrical fire/failure last December, killed the master and then started trying to tie down just where I was.

So you got scared, and you learned a little something. Most importantly, you called yourself out and used available resources to fix the problem.

Good on you, for the fix and the confession.

Eamon, you are not only good looking, you are cherubic looking with a sweet innocent smile. :)

Peggy, glad things turned out OK for you. I've been flying around your area the past several days, and have really become reliant on my GPS. I still have that sectional attached to my leg, but sometimes it seems tough to find things in unfamiliar territory for me.

Oh man - he's not gonna be able to get his headset on now! He might not even fit through the Caravan door and have to go in through the cargo door.

Peggy,

I'm not familiar with the airspace so I just looked at the sectional on SkyVector. Looks like you must have gone almost right over BDR, maybe while dealing with the problems? How close did you get to New Haven?

The best thing you can tell us: What would you do differently next time?

Peggy,

I've read of your panel upgrade, but I haven't kept track of your ratings. Do you already have your instrument or are you working toward it currently?

Diana stop by NYC and visit.

Peggy: Thank goodness you're O.K. and you had the presence of mind to ask for help.

There's a concurrent discussion about the Garmin with the WAAS upgrade on another board. Some pretty smart people are saying having a cell phone on in the cockpit can interfere with them getting proper signals. Sounds like they are very, very sensitive pieces of equipment.

I might delay my upgrade a bit, or get one done and leave the second for a bit.

Best,

Dave

Another danger of following the magenta line: we don't pay much attention to our secondaries. "Bridgeport VOR OTS". Such is our condition.

Great lesson you've imparted to us all, Peggy! Glad you are ok, except for a bit of an adrenaline overdose.

Jim

Very glad to hear you're ok, Peggy - I know that felt like a real close call, and it was, it WAS!! I mean, Eamon was only, what?, three feet from you?!?! :eek:

:D

Peggy, glad it ended OK. I'm curious for more details about how you lost situational awareness, so that we can learn more from your experience.

First, if the weather was marginal enough that you couldn't use visual landmarks and stay aware of your position, what convinced you to make the flight (or at least continue it after departing HPN)?

How did you know you were "ready to call Bridgeport tower" if you weren't aware of your position first? Were you using a visual landmark?

Since I wasn't exactly sure of the distance from Bridgeport, I backtracked to Norwalk ... Heading east again ... I told Bridgeport tower that I was having problems with my navigation equipment but declined his offer of additional assistance.

Good that you reported your equipment problem. That was probably a good heads-up for ATC. Why did you decline the offer of help at first?

Flying to the east edge of the city of Norwalk should have put you 10 miles west of Bridgeport - five, six minutes maybe. After more than five minutes passed without spotting the airport, why did you continue flying east without asking for help?

I was staring down the departure end of an unknown runway at pattern altitude. It took only seconds for everything to go straight into the crapper. I was in a 45* bank and couldn't maintain altitude or heading.

This is where the story officially gives me the chills. :hairraise: Good that you declared an emergency. How did you recover from the loss of control, and what went through your mind afterward?

Peggy thanks for posting this. I know I just asked about a million questions. Again, glad you're OK and I hope you can share what you've learned.

You did very well, Peggy. I found myself lost in similar conditions once, near mountains and low vis with a useless GPS. It was the kicker I needed to go out and practice my other forms of navigation more thoroughly.

Funny (not haha) how quickly a really easy, quick, flight can turn into a tough one when one doesn't plan on things going wrong. You made the right call in fessing up!!

Aunt Peggy, I'm glad things turned out well and you had no resistance to using the "E" word. Too many refuse to use it at their own peril. You got down safely, that's all that counts!

I'd definitely like to hear more about the ionic cloud discharge from the stacks. It sounds like something the FAA should visit that plant on and maybe get them to notify of this cleaning or have it on a regular cycle for NOTAMs. I'd never even think about doing a RAIM check for such a short flight. Even so, it would do no good when it test good early on but then encounter this cloud en-route.

I'm glad things turned out well and you had no resistance to using the "E" word. Too many refuse to use it at their own peril.

Amen. The OWT about the E-word generating a lot of paperwork really needs to be squashed.

I'd definitely like to hear more about the ionic cloud discharge from the stacks. It sounds like something the FAA should visit that plant on and maybe get them to notify of this cleaning or have it on a regular cycle for NOTAMs. I'd never even think about doing a RAIM check for such a short flight. Even so, it would do no good when it test good early on but then encounter this cloud en-route.

There appear to be several GPS-related NOTAMs in that area. Peggy, did you get those as part of your briefing? Was your briefing via Lockheed-Martin, DUATs, or none (like me the other day: "Screw this waiting on hold crap, I'm going flying!")? It'd be especially interesting if you got a briefing from LM and they did not include those NOTAMs. If that's the case, I'd tell AOPA about your story too. :yes:

I am becoming too dependent on GPS. But, dang, it sure makes things easy.
Glad you are OK.

Peggy, I'm glad things worked out for you!. I've had the same thing happen to me. Before my GPS failure I felt 100% OK w/ jumping in the plane and trusting only the GPS. Now I won't even leave the pattern without at least 2 forms of Navigation planned...

Peggy,

I'm not familiar with the airspace so I just looked at the sectional on SkyVector. Looks like you must have gone almost right over BDR, maybe while dealing with the problems? How close did you get to New Haven?
Perhaps I ought not to answer that question in a public forum.

The best thing you can tell us: What would you do differently next time?
Its a good question and one I want to answer, but I'm still a little too close to the event to answer that question well. Give me a few days of meditation and cogitation.

Peggy,

I've read of your panel upgrade, but I haven't kept track of your ratings. Do you already have your instrument or are you working toward it currently?
PP ASEL VFR.

The next part of the story:
I went back to the FBO (potty break) before leaving BDR to take the plane back home. There I saw the instructor again who had overheard my phone call and who had come to find me after he had the same GPS problem occurred to him. I had calmed down considerably by this time, and wanted to talk about my adventure. He took the time and had the patience to turn it into a teaching moment.

I didn't know the guy - don't remember ever seeing him before. Anyway, I'm planning to start up my instrument training again. With him.

Peggy: Thank goodness you're O.K. and you had the presence of mind to ask for help.

There's a concurrent discussion about the Garmin with the WAAS upgrade on another board. Some pretty smart people are saying having a cell phone on in the cockpit can interfere with them getting proper signals. Sounds like they are very, very sensitive pieces of equipment.

I might delay my upgrade a bit, or get one done and leave the second for a bit.

Best,

Dave
Could you please post a link to the other discussion?

I'm glad my experience is helping others. As a friend once told me, "You can tell the pioneers. They are the ones with the arrows in their chests." Next time, you get to go first.

Another danger of following the magenta line: we don't pay much attention to our secondaries. "Bridgeport VOR OTS". Such is our condition.
Actually, I was navigating by pilotage and wanted to use the GPS just for that last minute position check. I frequently want a little help in judging distance.

When it failed, I returned to a known location to resume my approach to BDR.

Great lesson you've imparted to us all, Peggy! Glad you are ok, except for a bit of an adrenaline overdose.

Jim
Thanks. Thanks to you all for your good wishes.

Peggy, glad it ended OK. I'm curious for more details about how you lost situational awareness, so that we can learn more from your experience.

First, if the weather was marginal enough that you couldn't use visual landmarks and stay aware of your position, what convinced you to make the flight (or at least continue it after departing HPN)?
JFK syndrome? Things were hazy, but I THOUGHT I was seeing well enough.

How did you know you were "ready to call Bridgeport tower" if you weren't aware of your position first? Were you using a visual landmark?
It was a position and timing thing. I was on the coast and had finished tuning all the radios and had listened to ATIS, so the next thing to do was call BDR. I should have been about 10 miles away (and probably was).

Good that you reported your equipment problem. That was probably a good heads-up for ATC. Why did you decline the offer of help at first?
I didn't think there was any need for help. I was confident. I was leaving Norwalk for BDR and I had made this trip many times. It would be easy to recognize the airport. Not a problem.

Flying to the east edge of the city of Norwalk should have put you 10 miles west of Bridgeport - five, six minutes maybe. After more than five minutes passed without spotting the airport, why did you continue flying east without asking for help?

Dumb. Thinking there must be a strong headwind even though ATIS indicated (as I recall) a 3 knot wind.

This is where the story officially gives me the chills. Good that you declared an emergency. How did you recover from the loss of control, and what went through your mind afterward?
Training.

Unusual attitude training: Get the plane straight and level.
The First Rules: AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE
The 5 Cs: Climb, Confess, Comply (There must be more but at the moment these were the only ones I could remember.)

Peggy thanks for posting this. I know I just asked about a million questions. Again, glad you're OK and I hope you can share what you've learned.
That's why I posted it. To get questions and to turn it into a learning experience for myself as much as possible.

You did very well, Peggy. I found myself lost in similar conditions once, near mountains and low vis with a useless GPS. It was the kicker I needed to go out and practice my other forms of navigation more thoroughly.

Funny (not haha) how quickly a really easy, quick, flight can turn into a tough one when one doesn't plan on things going wrong. You made the right call in fessing up!!
Thanks.

Aunt Peggy, I'm glad things turned out well and you had no resistance to using the "E" word. Too many refuse to use it at their own peril. You got down safely, that's all that counts!

I'm not sure about that one. Seems like it is in the same category as 'space aliens'. Anyway, I want to hear what Garmin says.

Amen. The OWT about the E-word generating a lot of paperwork really needs to be squashed.

There appear to be several GPS-related NOTAMs in that area. Peggy, did you get those as part of your briefing? Was your briefing via Lockheed-Martin, DUATs, or none (like me the other day: "Screw this waiting on hold crap, I'm going flying!")? It'd be especially interesting if you got a briefing from LM and they did not include those NOTAMs. If that's the case, I'd tell AOPA about your story too.

I don't remember ever being told about GPS NOTAMS. For sure, I'll be more tuned in to them.

Last night I checked out this website for GPS NOTAMS and there were none for New York (ZNY) or Boston (ZBW).
https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/center.html

I would strongly suggest writing this up and filing it as an ASRS report. Not only will this help prevent others from wandering down the same path, but it will protect you from certificate action if the FSDO gets involved and decides to write you up for violating KHVN's Delta space.

I'll copy and paste two discussions from AvSig. The problem was mentioned and Jay Apt responded to one identifying cell phone signals as a possible problem. The other is more anecdotal; guy was having issues; then, turned off Sprint phones and the problems ended. Nothing scientific here, but something to think about.

Best,

Dave

I've asked Jay for permission to post a technical comment paper he has on this and am awaiting his response.

Best,

Dave

==========================
Thanks Frank!

I would guess that the WAAS signals themselves have higher signal-to-noise
than the sat signals (being ground-based), but maybe not. First speculation
I've heard on WAAS boxes being more suseptible.

However, the experience is perfectly consistent with a number of other
reports in which 530/430 boxes dropped sats when a cell phone was left on in
the air (where it goes to max power searching for a tower, and so is more
likely to cause RFI).

Fly safe,
Jay

============================

If you needed more, here is one from October, 2003:

It happened last week to me. A clear day, calm air, and GPS direct to nearby Petaluma, CA airport. The PFD suddenly "X's out" the EHSI... the Garmin #1 shows "INTEG" in yellow.. and GPS is lost. Autopilot wanders, and I wonder what the heck is going on. Then, just as quickly, GPS is restored, the EHSI is normal, and on goes the autopilot.

Ten seconds later, all GPS signal is lost. This happens another three times and then I remember back in February- in my Mooney 201 shooting the GPS approach into Camarillo- multiple RAIM and INTEG warnings. Good thing it was VFR; we landed without incident. That trip was with my son and the same friend....

Teenagers today, in case you didn't hear, all carry the latest cell phones- and these two guys were no exception (OK, mine was clipped onto my belt and powered on too). My family had Cingular earlier this year.. and now it's AT&T.

I've had Verizon in the Mooney as well. But guess which cellular service my son's friend used in both the Mooney and the Cirrus? Sprint PCS , which I presume uses a frequency band close to the GPS's. Sure enough, I asked the kid to turn off his phone... and all the gremlins left the Garmin both in the Mooney and in the Cirrus.

Please spread the word around that Sprint PCS is one cell phone that definitely shouldn't be on when navigating via GPS

I would strongly suggest writing this up and filing it as an ASRS report. Not only will this help prevent others from wandering down the same path, but it will protect you from certificate action if the FSDO gets involved and decides to write you up for violating KHVN's Delta space.
My thought exactly.

Peggy, glad you had the presence of mind to realize things were not going in your favor. Atta, girl (<---or P.C., Atta lady).

YES! I was just going to suggest the NASA report. She still has time. File within 10 days and no adverse action for an inadvertant rules violation. If they do investigate, tell them you filed and they may lose interest in finding fault anyway.

If they do investigate, tell them you filed and they may lose interest in finding fault anyway.
Not to discourage anyone from filing, but I never heard of the FSDO dropping the matter just because someone filed an ASRS. File for the right reason -- it may help prevent someone else from duplicating your mistake.

Once the paper trail is started, no investigation is dropped. It may be closed in a variety of ways, but it will be closed. ASRS will mean that even if the investigation does find a violation, there won't be any penalties beyond the finding in your record, assuming you met all the requirements.

Here's a more complete article on cell phones and other RF noise.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• 155227-AviationWeek4-10-06.pdf
    173.1 KB · Views: 10
Here's a more complete article on cell phones and other RF noise.

Best,

Dave
I don't use or carry any personal electronic devices. No phone, no pager. We have an onboard blackberry system for receiving weather, but it was all disconnected and dumped into a shoebox in the backseat at the time the problem occurred. It is our intention to use it for XM-WX weather to a tablet computer. The computer was not onboard. The purpose of the flight was to get the avionics mechanic to move something out of the way so we can velcro and use the weather stuff.

Two days earlier, I made a 3.5 hr flight using the GPS throughout with no problem. Different direction. However, the shoebox of equipment was not in the plane.

Peggy:

This is just one of the things being discussed. Notams need to be watched for GPS interruption; several folks have commented about other RF noise affecting WAAS units. It's another reason to report it.

One thing I really like about the Garmin 530, is it has the VOR display on the lower left. When operating by GPS, I just keep the VOR on the nearest and cross check against the flight path. Day, VFR, not as important if one knows the area. In conditions like you described, much more important. If the VOR goes down also, I'd do exactly what you did: let someone know immediately. Your POH has required equipment for various conditions: if you were IFR and lost your primary and secondary means of navigation, that's very significant and can certainly be an emergency.

Best,

Dave

Not to discourage anyone from filing, but I never heard of the FSDO dropping the matter just because someone filed an ASRS. File for the right reason -- it may help prevent someone else from duplicating your mistake.
Did I say they would drop it? The investigator may close the file without the need to use the "get out of jail free" card.

Aunt Peggy..... I was going to say more than Hi, but I figured you were all shook up and needed quiet. Next time you get a big hug!

Diana... Thanks sweety, you are too kind. See you in a few weeks!

Tim..... No worries, I got the lightpeed liteflight headsets..No headband :) http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/images/products/2005/may/lightspeed_lightflight.jpg

Roger... If only I were as good looking as thou art...

Tom... It was ok, I was on the ground...now if had been 3 ft in the air, well, that would have been a real close call.

Missa... Yea, really, but you know that... Hey, I am still waiting for dinner & beer!!!! RU gonna be at R-Kansas in June???

Did I say they would drop it? The investigator may close the file without the need to use the "get out of jail free" card.
I've never heard of that happening merely because the investigatee filed an ASRS report, so don't expect the ASRS report to help in that regard, although it may help show a "constructive attitude," which may be the difference in turning an enforcement action into an administrative action (like counseling or remedial training), although even that remains on your record for two years. But regardless of all that, do it for the right reason -- to help make flying safer for others.

I've never heard of that happening merely because the investigatee filed an ASRS report, so don't expect the ASRS report to help in that regard, although it may help show a "constructive attitude," which may be the difference in turning an enforcement action into an administrative action (like counseling or remedial training), although even that remains on your record for two years. But regardless of all that, do it for the right reason -- to help make flying safer for others.

What I said. No "get out of jail free" card. I am not arguing with you about the value of reporting to help make flying safer. Just saying it may ALSO be a good idea for your own self interest too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back