I crashed my @#%^*!!#%#@!!&%!! bike!!!!!

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I was just crossing the street on the way home when someone stepped right out in front of the Goldwing. It was dark and rainy, so I didn't see him until he was right in my headlight. If I had been driving a car I would have killed him.

I swerved the bike hard, missed him (or her, I never did see) but dumped the bike on the wet pavement.

Epilogue: The bike is rideable and mostly OK, although the forward fairing is rashed up pretty good, and the highway peg is bent in. Oh well, now it matches the other side. Bike soaked up most of hte crash pretty well, actually. My right ankle hurts like hell, but it was OK last night, so its probably just inflammation.

Over 20 years of riding, and nothing, NOTHING! Aaarrrrggghhhh!:mad:

Sad reality of the motorcycle world: you have to be better than every moron you encounter, or either (1) you die, or (2) the other yutz dies, and you get blamed.

Ugh sorry to hear about the bike - but its good that you are still here to tell us about it.

I miss riding, but my last year in funeral service I buried 6 men killed on bikes, with 4 of them younger than me I was 26 at the time. So I sold my bike after that summer.

And the "victim"(excuuuuuuuse me?) would probably say, "Oh, I didn't see you coming."
Sorry about the incident; glad you're otherwise OK.

Harley(there's a reason I've had that nickname for 60 years)

Sorry to hear that.

How fast were you going when you went down? What were you wearing for safety gear? You should post pictures of the bike--I'm curious.

Just driving the other night I got re-amazed how people will jaywalk and cross right in front of you on a rainy 55 mph road while they're dressed head to toe in black. You will stop or slow down for them, right? Are they suicidal?

Glad you survived the incident. That's why I got rid of my motorcycle - too many idiots out there trying to kill me. I'd rather be in my 4-wheeled steel cage, as selfish as that makes me.

That is why I am thankful for my load pipes. Of course I am a wuz and wear ear plugs. :) It didnt save me once when I got rear ended on my crotch rocket by a honda accord at a stop light. My bike was wedged on the accord. It was all I could do not to come up off the pavement and kill the young kid. Glad to hear that you were a great rider and at least missed the idiot. Sorry about the bike.

Glad you are OK!

Why is it that almost everyone walking along (or across) the road at night is wearing dark clothes?
And now that we are getting the occasional morning fog and even rarer morning rain, I notice every time that people driving light gray or silver cars REFUSE to turn on their headlights???:dunno:

Sorry to hear that.

How fast were you going when you went down? What were you wearing for safety gear? You should post pictures of the bike--I'm curious.

I was moving at a fairly slow speed, less than 25mph. I had a Tourmaster textile jacket with armor, so my shoulder is only slightly sore. I was only wearing rain pants and shoes (hey, local ride, and I was teaching that morning) so my ankle took the full brunt, and is sore today.

The bike really isn't that bad, not even worth a photo. It burns me hard that the fairing was perfect after 25 years and got rashed on my watch. Minor, to be honest, but gong from perfect to damaged is a really big deal to me.

Had it been dry I would have seen the person at the curb and watched out, this has happened to me before. Had I the Fireblade I could have swerved right around, that thing is tight. But the Wing... well, its a big swerve to get around someone and the thing is heavy.

My ego is bruised far more than my body or my bike. Thanks for listening (or reading) my little vent.

Glad you are OK!

Why is it that almost everyone walking along (or across) the road at night is wearing dark clothes?
And now that we are getting the occasional morning fog and even rarer morning rain, I notice every time that people driving light gray or silver cars REFUSE to turn on their headlights???:dunno:

So I'm not the only one that thinks the most popular car colors make your car invisible? I've had had a half-dozen cases where a gray or silver car seems to appear out of nowhere after I made the first quick look left to check cross traffic. The gray blends in to the color of the pavement.

When I tell car sales drones that I don't want gray or silver color for that reason they act like I'm out of my mind.

I guess those would be good color choices if you were a bank robber who wanted a stealth-mobile.

Then my Silhouette is gray - but it has black stripes and trim. :rolleyes:

Wow, that sucks. At least you are okay and the person who stepped out in front of you is okay too.

I know of a Nighthawk that would have been easier to maneuver around! ;-)

I swerved the bike hard, missed him (or her, I never did see) but dumped the bike on the wet pavement.

Did the pedestrian come to your rescue or take off like a schmuck and let you fend for yourself?

So I'm not the only one that thinks the most popular car colors make your car invisible?

Kind of like the Dodge Dakota that turned into my path last night? The one I couldn't avoid and hit with my Jeep? Right smack in her driver's door? Yutz! I'll spend some time this afternoon filling out the accident report form so I can send it in to the state. Already called my insurance agent to get my fender fixed.

So I'm not the only one that thinks the most popular car colors make your car invisible? I've had had a half-dozen cases where a gray or silver car seems to appear out of nowhere after I made the first quick look left to check cross traffic. The gray blends in to the color of the pavement.

When I tell car sales drones that I don't want gray or silver color for that reason they act like I'm out of my mind.

I guess those would be good color choices if you were a bank robber who wanted a stealth-mobile.

Then my Silhouette is gray - but it has black stripes and trim. :rolleyes:

It's worth it to have gray and risk lower visibility because you don't have to wash them so often!

I'm glad you're okay and you didn't hit anyone. Even though it wouldn't have been your fault, someone getting hurt on your vehicle will still eat at ya for a long time.

I'm amazed I've not hit a pedestrian. I can't tell you how many idiots are walking across streets in Atlanta with a damn cell phone glued to their head or worse, damn iPutz headphones. They are just begging to become a statistic and ruin some driver's insurance rates.

Dang! I'm glad you got up with minimal injury after the get-off.

Welcome to the Face Plant club. (The entry fee is a bit brutal isn't it?)

Partial gear local ride? :confused: Darwin doesn't sleep...he waits. :yes:

Big heavy bike, slow, close proximity and slick wet roads...Too many variables without being there however I might have center punched the idget at max braking instead of maneuvering.

ATGATT

...woulda done more damage to the fairing.

I do jeans and shoes at minimum, even on the Sportbike, for local rides. I'll probably keep doing that, the speeds are mostly not that great, and I am ambulatory today (although the animal facility inspection on a bum ankle was rough). If I'm moving at speed I add boots and armored leggings to the mix, always.

Although I'm really bummed, I can cheer myself up with the fact that it took the combination of a giant, unmaneuverable bike, active rain and slick roads, darkness, and an idiot pedestrian to bring me down. Murphy was definitely out to get me, which is not that big a surprise. After so many years my number should come up eventually, especially using a bike as primary transportation this time of year.

Entrance to the face plant club sucks canal water.

Just driving the other night I got re-amazed how people will jaywalk and cross right in front of you on a rainy 55 mph road while they're dressed head to toe in black. You will stop or slow down for them, right? Are they suicidal?

Coming through downtown Minneapolis last week I had a woman who was standing in the street by her car talking on her phone, turn quickly and walk right into my lane when I was less than 20 feet away rolling along at 35 mph. I missed her but the breeze from my car definitely ruffled her clothes.

sorry to hear about your get-off - they happen, but they're never fun, dang it. Got about half a million miles on motorcycles and a few dropped bikes... worse one was a lefty turner. I'd have been ok if the right engine guard hadn't hooked her bumper!! :eek:

Hope the plastic doesn't cost a lot to replace! :)

Good to hear you're ok. I've noticed my margins of safety while riding have grown. I'm still trying to comprehend the relationship between women driving Honda's/Acura's while talking on cells and the need for me to need to take evasive action. (4 times since I bought the latest bike last spring.)

Good to hear you're ok. I've noticed my margins of safety while riding have grown. I'm still trying to comprehend the relationship between women driving Honda's/Acura's while talking on cells and the need for me to need to take evasive action. (4 times since I bought the latest bike last spring.)

Cellphone + left front seat = immediate separation increase.

I'll take drunks over kamikazephoners. Drunks are predictable and little risk once you put them in front of you. They're at least attempting to operate the vehicle. I can't say the same thing about kamikazephoners.

Cellphone + left front seat = immediate separation increase.

I'll take drunks over kamikazephoners. Drunks are predictable and little risk once you put them in front of you. They're at least attempting to operate the vehicle. I can't say the same thing about kamikazephoners.

The Mythbusters just proved that using a cell phone is more of a hazard than driving drunk. Well, they were just under the legal limit. For some reason the cops testing them said they couldn't drive if they hit the 0.08 legal limit even though they weren't on public roads. California.

What I'm noticing, other than it's almost always Donna driving erratically with the cellphone, is it's Donna driving AGGRESSIVELY with the cellphone. :dunno:

The Mythbusters just proved that using a cell phone is more of a hazard than driving drunk. Well, they were just under the legal limit. For some reason the cops testing them said they couldn't drive if they hit the 0.08 legal limit even though they weren't on public roads. California.

What I'm noticing, other than it's almost always Donna driving erratically with the cellphone, is it's Donna driving AGGRESSIVELY with the cellphone. :dunno:

Not sure that proves much of anything. They want the test to turn out a certain way for the shock and awe. Plus I wouldn't hardly call being just under 0.08 as drunk.

Back