I can't believe no one has mentioned this special day

Excuse me??
Pssst, little secret here, I know that. Iraq had similarly bad weapons, too, like the MiG-25 buried in the sand. That was the point, but we're not supposed to Spin Zone this thread. Thanks!

As I write this it has just turned to the 7th of June. There was another important event on this day. Can anyone remember? It is assocated with D-Day and my avatar is a hint.

Covering all bets......

On the Western Front... Allied forces attempt to link up the beachheads. Gold and Juno beach are already joined. Elements of US 7th Corps, on Utah beach, attempts to link up with the paratroops of 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions and advances toward Carentan and Montebourg. The US 5th Corps, on Omaha, advances toward Isigny and Bayeux. Elements of the British 30th Corps cut the Caen-Bayeux road. The 50th Division captures Bayeux. Meanwhile, German reserves are concentrating on the right flank of the invasion against the British forces threatening Caen.
In Italy... Elements of US 5th Army capture Bacciano and Civitavecchia. The port facilities are serviceable. Elements of British 8th Army advance as well. Subiaco is taken. The South African 6th Armored Division captures Civita Castellana and advances to Orvieto.
In New Guinea... On Biak Island, elements of US 41st Division capture Mokmer Airfield. Japanese resistance continues.

As I write this it has just turned to the 7th of June. There was another important event on this day. Can anyone remember? It is assocated with D-Day and my avatar is a hint.

Pegasus Bridge! I have many photos from there. Not far from there, a pleasant little drive, is the Merville Battery, a small museum I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think you'll find it in a guidebook but if you go to Normandy I'd recommend visiting there. The "comics" of the day posted on the wall... the LETTERS posted on the wall.. all so poignant. (by comics I mean those one-off political comics).

Pegasus Bridge! I have many photos from there. Not far from there, a pleasant little drive, is the Merville Battery, a small museum I thoroughly enjoyed. I don't think you'll find it in a guidebook but if you go to Normandy I'd recommend visiting there. The "comics" of the day posted on the wall... the LETTERS posted on the wall.. all so poignant. (by comics I mean those one-off political comics).

We have a winner! The battle for the bridge was documented in the movie the Longest Day and the very good book by Stephen Ambrose. By night fall on the 6th the bridge was finally secure and just after midnight the first allied troops started crossing it.

Back