I can't believe I'm almost done

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I talked to my CFI last night.

Apparently my CHO flight counted as the LONG XC since it was over 150 NM total.

I only thus have 2.7 more hours of XC to go, which I think I can do when I fly to LNS this weekend (it's even farther away than CHO and I'll land at THV which will definitely put it over 2.7 hours even if I hadn't already made 2.7 by LNS and back).I recall someone telling me I have to do a solo night XC but we didn't see that in the FARs. I have night hours and landings up the wazoo (just not recently, about a year ago).

I think I am still missing about one hour of under-the-hood work. I believe that is *it*, minimum requirements-wise anyway.

The next step is going to be practicing everything that I haven't done in a year.. or two.. like short fields, soft fields, etc etc. Everything has been so strung out and piecemeal.

Then studying for the written (I'm not too worried, I could take it cold and pass but I'll give it a good go and try to get the score I got the last time - I missed two).

After all this I'm looking at some travel coming up though. I am going to be gone fully 3 weekends in October and the first weekend in November. Meaning, after this LNS flight this wkd I have one more weekend to fly and then I'm looking at mid-November and crappo weather again.

I applied for my SODA ride and have to get that out of the way before October 31 when my medical expires.

Apparently my CHO flight counted as the LONG XC since it was over 150 NM total.

I only thus have 2.7 more hours of XC to go, which I think I can do when I fly to LNS this weekend (it's even farther away than CHO and I'll land at THV which will definitely put it over 2.7 hours even if I hadn't already made 2.7 by LNS and back).I recall someone telling me I have to do a solo night XC but we didn't see that in the FARs. I have night hours and landings up the wazoo (just not recently, about a year ago).

I think I am still missing about one hour of under-the-hood work. I believe that is *it*, minimum requirements-wise anyway.

The next step is going to be practicing everything that I haven't done in a year.. or two.. like short fields, soft fields, etc etc. Everything has been so strung out and piecemeal.

Then studying for the written (I'm not too worried, I could take it cold and pass but I'll give it a good go and try to get the score I got the last time - I missed two).

After all this I'm looking at some travel coming up though. I am going to be gone fully 3 weekends in October and the first weekend in November. Meaning, after this LNS flight this wkd I have one more weekend to fly and then I'm looking at mid-November and crappo weather again.

I applied for my SODA ride and have to get that out of the way before October 31 when my medical expires.

Excellent!

But if I recall correctly, the 150 NM X-C requires 3 landings, so you would have needed to stop somewhere besides Charlottesville. The LNS trip should do it, though.

I did - I landed at CJR on the way home. I'll do the same for LNS and THV as practice...

Almost done?? HAH!! You're just beginning. The checkride is just a mere stepping stone. :) Keep up the most excellent work!!

I recall someone telling me I have to do a solo night XC but we didn't see that in the FARs. I have night hours and landings up the wazoo (just not recently, about a year ago).

Way to go, getting close now. What about the night dual x-country Elizabeth?

§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—
(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;
(2) Except as provided in §61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—
(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and
(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

Last edited:
No night solo time required. Just what was quoted in the previous post.

Thank you - good info - I do have a lot of night training and when we flew back from CHO last year it was definitely night but that part of the flight would only have totaled about 70 miles.

it was in a crappy old plane with next to no interior lighting though, does that count?

I am pretty sure I have a total of 10 night landings, full stop.

Beth,
Since your training has covered a few months ;) and several CFI's, I recommend you make a spreadsheet listing all the requirements for PPL. Then go thru your log book carefully and record to the spreadsheet the date, hours logged, etc. for each requirement so you know you're good to go.

I didn't do this for the PPL, and a couple of days before my ride, I realized I was short 0.2 hr for x-ctry. Had to scramble to complete another x-ctry. For each rating since then, I kept a requirements spreadsheet up to date, and I included it with my logbook for the DE to make their life easier.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Kaye

Kaye, Great idea!

I'd add any of the required endorsements to the list for all areas covered, e.g., required endorsement prior to any solo cross country, etc.

Beth,
Since your training has covered a few months ;) and several CFI's, I recommend you make a spreadsheet listing all the requirements for PPL. Then go thru your log book carefully and record to the spreadsheet the date, hours logged, etc. for each requirement so you know you're good to go.

I didn't do this for the PPL, and a couple of days before my ride, I realized I was short 0.2 hr for x-ctry. Had to scramble to complete another x-ctry. For each rating since then, I kept a requirements spreadsheet up to date, and I included it with my logbook for the DE to make their life easier.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Kaye

Great system, Kaye, I also keep a copy of the 8710, makes it easy enough to update for future ratings.

Yeah, make certain all the endorsements are in the book and properly dated. I know of a few who had to scramble to get their books' XCs and endorsements kosher before seeing the DE.

Keep it up, you'll be getting that "license to learn" soon!!

Jim

I do have a lot of night training and when we flew back from CHO last year it was definitely night but that part of the flight would only have totaled about 70 miles. it was in a crappy old plane with next to no interior lighting though, does that count?
Unfortunately, the FAA does not give waivers to flight time requirements based on the crappiness of the airplane. If you flew only that 70nm return leg at night, you may still need a 100nm night XC (50.1 out/50.1 back will do) to fill that square.

Unfortunately, the FAA does not give waivers to flight time requirements based on the crappiness of the airplane. If you flew only that 70nm return leg at night, you may still need a 100nm night XC (50.1 out/50.1 back will do) to fill that square.

I was joking. ;)

Way to go! I've been following your progress, and all I can say is, congratulations on your persistence! Got a case of champagne waiting for the successful completion of your checkride!

Judy

. . .

How is the prep for the SODA ride going? Mine was fun.

If you don't think you'll make it a 2.7hr flight at your normal cruise, throttle back a bit, enjoy the scenery, and MAKE it a 2.7hr flight. There's no minimum airspeed requirement for the cross country time....:D

Be werrry werry cawful, bunny wabbit. Count your flights, landings, hours, etc and be sure you've done it all before you go for the checkride. I was 1 towered field landing short when I got to the examiner, which I didn't find out until we reviewed my logs -- thanks, CFI! Yes, I bear some blame, but given that we had spent 30mins the day before reviewing my logbook and filling out the form, I thought everything was set.

Fortunately, I was signed off for solos to a local towered field, and had a really nice DPE. He said, "Fly down to PNE, come back, and we'll get started." That wasn't the best way to start a checkride, but I was lucky. I don't recommend it.

Yeah, what he said ^^^. Found out on my first scheduled attempt at my checkride that I was 9 miles short on my long xc. Got to go up and do another one. Of course, the second I got down from that second long xc, still in the not-tied-down-yet airplane - hot, sweaty, hungry, headache (hit my head on the top of the cabin - bumpy!!), cranky (from having to spend what equalled about $20/mile for those 9 miles I missed) ... my DPE called and wanted me to hop over to BUY and take the checkride! Second time was a charm! :D

Back