I bought a hangar...

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
...and it came with two airplanes!o_O
An old friend had decided to hang up his headsets and sell his planes and hangar but wasn't wild about going thru the hassles of selling the planes (not always easy) and then cleaning up 30 years of cra...ah...treasures (REAL PITA) and then selling the hangar (dead easy part).

Enter the Stupid Canauck stage right.

Truth be told I really just wanted the hangar 'cause it's larger than the one I have now (75x60 vs. 45x48) and has has a full bathroom and a nice office. It also has a rear garage door for flow-thru ventilation (just what everyone needs during the pollen season)...
Anyway; I popped off with an offer for the whole lot and he accepted it.:eek:
So I'm now the happy owner of a beautiful '73 Super Viking that is nicely IFR equipped and a nice '69 Grumman Yankee with a o-320 (10 SMOH) and the taildragger STC. Also included was a new Arc welder, 80 gallon air compressor, fans and tons of tools and aircraft parts. And lots and lots of "stuff".
Former owner is happy, I'm happy and The house Commander thinks I've gone 'round the twist...:rolleyes:. She insists I can't call it a flying club if I'm the only member...silly girl!

Chris (A&Peeing all over DTN)

...no, but you can call it your aviation empire!

Right place at the right time for the right opportunity...nice going!

Yeah, nothing but idle boasts without pics. Come on, share the joy...

Now to sell the smaller one and make room for your third plane in the Big House?

What's the old rule......... the one with the most toys....???? :):):)

At this point I don't see the point in selling the original hangar, may as well keep that one for your private collection

A tailwheel Yankee sounds like a barrel of fun.

if u find any cool stuff in the hangar and want to sell it, can us PoA peeps get first dibs? :) you know, like an airplane and stuff......

You did good.

This looks quite functional, not as much 'old mans gold' as I would have expected by your description.

What shape is the Yankee taildragger in ?

I've spent a week cleaning the hangar out and giving away lots of hardware and stuff I didn't really want or need...lots of stuff was simply too old or nasty to keep, other stuff was in the "Great Finds" category; NIB S 4000 DG, MX11 comm w/ yellow tag, etc.
The Viking has a high time engine but runs strong and has really been taken care of. It has a 430W, SL30, SL40, MX20 and a G340 plus two VOR/GS heads. Way more than I need personally but it's gonna be fun to learn to fly her (assuming she's a she...time will tell) :).
The Grummie is more for tearing around the pattern scaring Cessna pilots o_O .
My current plan (keeping in mind that Custer had a plan...) is to wedge the Hiperbipe into this hangar with the other two and make the smaller one into a paint booth for my Champ project. From there it's up to the Gods!

Chris

What engine is in the Yankee TD ? How many hours ?

I have yet to find someone who has flown one or can tell me whether those TD conversions are well executed.

The AA1 is in good shape. It has (as I recall) a 250XL, 135A, G-340 and a Transponder just back from the shop (can't remember the brand right now). 10 since MOH by Mena Aircraft Engines. The gear mod has all the DMA speed mods/fairings. It will be getting a new canopy soon due to a crack I don't like the looks of. It also has the extra 10 gallons of fuel in two 5 gallon wing tanks to bring the total to 32 gal. usable. Of course with full fuel it's a single person airplane (legally) unless you had an anorexic midget riding shotgun...

What engine is in the Yankee TD ? How many hours ?

I have yet to find someone who has flown one or can tell me whether those TD conversions are well executed.

After I get the canopy done I'll post how it fly's. The owner and the guy who did the conversion for him said it is a good handling TD except for two things: A) as there is limited prop clearance and the mains are so far forward it really likes to take off and land in a three point attitude and 2) it takes getting used to being off to the side (a bit blind to the right) in a taildragger. The second isn't a prob for me because I'm used to the Hiperbipe which also has side-by-side seating.

Chris

Ooh!

If you think about parting with it....

WOW looks Great!!! Congrats!!!

No need to wedge anything. Let me get one out of your way. How much do you want for the Yank? Message me

Weilke and Shane;
If you want more info on the AA1 let me know...I can't figure out how to contact members privately here anymore...

Someone spent a LOT of time bending conduit just to lower those lights about 8" instead of simply mounting them to the bottom of the truss joists.

A LOT of time!

I wonder why, I see no advantage.

Nice find!

Where is Obama when I need him. You have three I have zero time to distribute the wealth. :)

Since you are now a mogul I will say nice ACQUISITION instead of nice buy. :)

Someone spent a LOT of time bending conduit just to lower those lights about 8" instead of simply mounting them to the bottom of the truss joists.

A LOT of time!

I wonder why, I see no advantage.

Nice find!

Agreed, likely a disadvantage if you needed to move in something tall. In the very least, they could have just kept the conduit flat against the trusses and used a flexible conduit to drop down to each light. On the bright side, I bet those lights won't swing in a stiff wind!

Back