I am selling my Cherokee (time to upgrade)

Looks like a nice airplane, good luck with the sale. I'd buy it, but I already got one.

Do you guys find that a plane that "just came out of annual" adds value or sells quicker?

For example, if I were buying an old Mooney I'd want one with a runout engine and dead avionics (good airframe of course) then I could do whatever I wanted with it.

There's too many iffy folks who'll do an Annual cheap, and too many things that could be wrong but the airplane is still airworthy, to care much about whether it has had a recent Annual. You have to have someone you're paying do your own detailed inspection anyway. My opinion, anyway.

There's too many iffy folks who'll do an Annual cheap, and too many things that could be wrong but the airplane is still airworthy, to care much about whether it has had a recent Annual. You have to have someone you're paying do your own detailed inspection anyway. My opinion, anyway.

I agree, hence the question.

It was a $4,500 annual and I had an $11,000 annual last year (included adding shoulder harnesses, though). I have done nothing on the cheap. The previous owner had, so I have been catching the plane up. I really hate to sell it and start over, but I want something a little faster (with better climb) and hopefully a 430.

The shop that has done the work, Lincoln Skyways, has a great reputation, and is known for not cutting corners. They said they would be glad to discuss the plane and its history with any potential buyer. Of course any buyer should get thier own inspection done, I am just saying that this plane has been flown and taken care of the last two years.

Do you guys find that a plane that "just came out of annual" adds value or sells quicker?

For example, if I were buying an old Mooney I'd want one with a runout engine and dead avionics (good airframe of course) then I could do whatever I wanted with it.

I am not sure anyone would take that approach with an airframe that will never be worth more than the low 30's, no matter how much money you throw into it. The engine is about 700 SMOH and does not use oil. The avionics are digital, but essentially VFR (there is a working VOR and another I never calibrated, but no DME or glideslope). The avionics are one of the main reasons I am selling, because it does not make sense to over invest in the panel and I want a 430. This plane got me my ticket and flys beautifully and is perfect for someone who wants to build hours. It is not "ragged out" like many others I have seen in this price range. It looks good and flys good. I am confident it is one of the best deals out there. I have spent a lot of money catching up little stuff that has been deferred for years (hoses, rivets, rebuilt carb, starter, bearings and many, many other stuff).

I think it depends on who did the annual, but most sellers are trying to show it's airworthy, but in reality, an annual show it was airworthy on that particular day. ;)
I like the idea of buying a great airframe with a runout engine and old out dated avionics and fixing it up. The problem is I never see one cheap enough to make the math work. Usually if they have runouts and bad avionics they need paint and interior as well. So, unless someone gives you the airframe, you end up with a ton more in it than you could have bought one for. :rolleyes:

I would not do it for 'value' as much as personal value. The value on knowing you have good quality stuff and the plane has been stripped of everything and rebuilt from the ground up.

Hey guys, I am not saying you hijacked my thread, but this is about selling a plane that is reasonably priced ($27,500) and very well maintained. Many planes in this price range are not well maintained, possibly because the owners cannot afford to do so, so they cobble by with undocumented owner assisted repairs, etc. That is not the case with this plane. I have used a reputable shop and everything is well documented. I have the money to do it right, and I have done that. It is possible to buy a plane that is in good shape, without doing a ground up restore on it. This is such a plane. I have flown it regurlarly (100 hours per year) and have verifyable proof of maintainance levels that go beyond the required (50 hour inspections, regular oil changes, no deferred maintenance items, etc.). If something needs to be fixed, I have it fixed by a professional shop with a great reputation.

No offense to the OP, but any airplane I purchase is receiving a pre buy that will be identical to an annual inspection and performed by my mechanic. Different mechanics have different eyes. However, the aircraft in question seems like a nice example at a reasonable price.

Nice Cherokee there. They are great planes, but with the stock 150 HP engine, not the best climbers. I had a 68 140B, and that's why I upgraded.

The 160 HP conversion on the 140's O-320 certainly helps the climb.

What are you thinking? Complex/retract?

Nice Cherokee there. They are great planes, but with the stock 150 HP engine, not the best climbers. I had a 68 140B, and that's why I upgraded.

The 160 HP conversion on the 140's O-320 certainly helps the climb.

What are you thinking? Complex/retract?

Yes, maybe an Arrow or a Mooney, or if I find one at the right price, a Bonanza/Debonair. I am ready to continue my training on something more advanced. Plus, my dad lives in the mountains (Big Bear) and the Cherokee isn't the best plane for that trip.

BTW, I fully expect any buyer to do a thorough pre-buy inspection. But, I think the level I have maintained the plane would certainly give piece of mind to anyone, before investing in that inspection.

Back