I am now wireless!!

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
look out! first, the laptop, and just today we set up the wireless. I have no limits now. well, no limits beyond my own property and your local starbucks anyway. :rolleyes:

woodstock said:
look out! first, the laptop, and just today we set up the wireless. I have no limits now. well, no limits beyond my own property and your local starbucks anyway. :rolleyes:

Stuff they don't teach you:

1. Change your SSID from "wireless" to something not so obvious.
2. Turn SSID broadcast off (router).
3. Set an encryption.
4. If possible, place the router below ground (basement).

#1 combined with #2 makes you fairly safe from drive by hackers. #3 will make the system nearly safe. #4 makes it virtually hack proof unless the hacker is inside the house.

woodstock said:

Uh, please set set your own limit... the bathroom is a place the laptop should never go.

Missa

Missa said:
Uh, please set set your own limit... the bathroom is a place the laptop should never go.

Missa

You have no idea how many posts I've made on here from there. LOL

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:

3. Set an encryption.

#1 combined with #2 makes you fairly safe from drive by hackers. #3 will make the system nearly safe. #4 makes it virtually hack proof unless the hacker is inside the house.

I live in a block house (interior walls too), I can't even get my wireless connection to reach 2 rooms away.

Ed Guthrie said:

3. Set an encryption.

#1 - a town in France I am really fond of.
#2 - not sure, I'll ask if he did this.
#3 - ditto
#4 - no underground.

Missa, no worries, no bathrooms! actually it will be sofa or office - same ol' desk - which is where it will reside 80% of the time anyway.

woodstock said:
... just today we set up the wireless. I have no limits now. well, no limits beyond my own property and your local starbucks anyway.
This raises a question I've been wanting to ask you guys. I was staying at my Dad's house for a few days and took my laptop. I was able to get connected from his neighbor's router. Are there any rules/laws that prohibit using your wireless computer to connect from someone else's router?

Diana said:
This raises a question I've been wanting to ask you guys. I was staying at my Dad's house for a few days and took my laptop. I was able to get connected from his neighbor's router. Are there any rules/laws that prohibit using your wireless computer to connect from someone else's router?
Technically, yes, you've just violated federal wiretapping laws. It happens quite a bit, though, and I doubt anyone would prosecute if they even noticed.

Missa said:
Remind me never to touch your laptop.

**puts on black spandex body suit**
**puts on wire rimmed glasses**
**slicks hair back**
**speaks with german accent**

"Vood you like to touch my laptop?"

N2212R said:
**puts on black spandex body suit**
**puts on wire rimmed glasses**
**slicks hair back**
**speaks with german accent**

"Vood you like to touch my laptop?"

Only after I introduce it to a can of Lysol.

:goofy:

I read about a case of someone being charged with 'stealing' wireless internet access.

I remember someone posting those 3 wireless protection steps before but never could decipher what they mean, or how to do it.

Never take your laptop into the bathroom! Don't you know there are people with software that can turn your screen into a camera - they can see everything! (The program reverse-charges the monitor's photo-tube DC current for only a fraction of the time so you don't notice, and turns it into wide-aperature still-camera lens.. then it transmits the images of your household, covertly, back to the hacker's computer.)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Never take your laptop into the bathroom! Don't you know there are people with software that can turn your screen into a camera - they can see everything! (The program reverse-charges the monitor's photo-tube DC current for only a fraction of the time so you don't notice, and turns it into wide-aperature still-camera lens.. then it transmits the images of your household, covertly, back to the hacker's computer.)
ARGH! Foiled again! :goofy:

N2212R said:
You have no idea how many posts I've made on here from there. LOL

Definitely too much information.

Brian Austin said:
Technically, yes, you've just violated federal wiretapping laws. It happens quite a bit, though, and I doubt anyone would prosecute if they even noticed.

How would they notice?

Carol said:
How would they notice?

Number one way, at least number one way for me to notice, would be to see a drop in available bandwidth. I'd do some snooping and see that another computer was connected to my network.

How that turns to prosecution, I know not, but I do know that computer is fair game now. There are rare times I put my skills to bad use, but in case of attempted hacks or bandwidth theft, I pull no punches.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Number one way, at least number one way for me to notice, would be to see a drop in available bandwidth.

My guess is those who are suffering bandwidth theft are more likely to try to damage the thief's computer than they are to find a lawyer and then pursue an expensive court case. Much more satisfying, and immediate gratification too!

As I recall, in the news article involving the theft charges, the action was fairly egregious (repeated, harmful, oblivious to repeated warnings).

NickDBrennan said:
Number one way, at least number one way for me to notice, would be to see a drop in available bandwidth. I'd do some snooping and see that another computer was connected to my network.

The average user isn't going to see a drop in throughput, nor would they really even notice an additional 1-5 users on their network. Easiest way is to have the wireless router set up for logging and send DHCP messages to your computer. Someone jumps on, you'll see it immediately, along with their MAC address (which is as unique as a fingerprint but reproducible by someone who knows better).

NickDBrennan said:
How that turns to prosecution, I know not, but I do know that computer is fair game now. There are rare times I put my skills to bad use, but in case of attempted hacks or bandwidth theft, I pull no punches.
Reverse hacks are still subject to electronic hacking laws. Once upon a time, companies used to have active retaliation systems that would launch an attack against someone who was attacking them. Can't do that. With zombies, it's pointless anyway.

NickDBrennan said:

I guess what I meant was, how would I know? There are the prescribed safeguards in place here but if there were not, how would I be able to tell that someone parked at the curb was using my bandwidth?

Carol said:
I guess what I meant was, how would I know? There are the prescribed safeguards in place here but if there were not, how would I be able to tell that someone parked at the curb was using my bandwidth?
You'd notice the car?

Carol said:

And on the flip side, with all the legal hotspots around how would a squatter know they were using a site illegally if they didn't have to hack their way in. I think you could make a pretty strong case that any open WAP is fair game and that only ones that had at least enabled encryption were protected by the law from "unautorized" use.

Carol said:

You set up your router to notify you when anyone connects to it.

lancefisher said:
And on the flip side, with all the legal hotspots around how would a squatter know they were using a site illegally if they didn't have to hack their way in. I think you could make a pretty strong case that any open WAP is fair game and that only ones that had at least enabled encryption were protected by the law from "unautorized" use.

I'd bet there are a lot of computer users that wouldn't know the difference. I'd also bet that a good lawyer would make a case that leaving an open WAP would be an attractive nuisance.

Personal responsibility goes both ways.

N2212R said:

Okay, thanks.

I'll keep an eye out for parked cars too :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by N2212R

Carol said:
Okay, thanks.

let me know if you figure out how.
I did not see an option, "Send email to ______ if unauthorized use occurs" in the software. No such switch on the hardware either. (Motorola here)

Let'sgoflying! said:
let me know if you figure out how.
I did not see an option, "Send email to ______ if unauthorized use occurs" in the software. No such switch on the hardware either. (Motorola here)
You're simply not going to find this kind of stuff on home use equipment. The average user isn't going to understand what to do with the info anyway. And define "unauthorized use"? What if your brother/sister stays for a few days and wants to connect his/her laptop to your network? Authorized, sure. But you have to tell the router, too.

Two features that are probably available on most home routers: MAC authentication and encryption. Encryption is easy. If you don't have the password for encryption key generation, you don't get access. MAC authentication is reasonably foolproof. You simply tell the router exactly who is allowed to connect and ignore anyone else. Each network card (wired or wireless) has a unique MAC address (supposedly. I've run across duplicates but it's extraordinarily rare).

Brian Austin said:
You're simply not going to find this kind of stuff on home use equipment.

I didn't think so. Thanks Brian. Home users are stuck being 'wide open'.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Austin
You're simply not going to find this kind of stuff on home use equipment.

Not true on either count. My Netgear router (WGT634U) traps MAC addresses until the next reboot. IOW, I can view the MAC address of every PC that connected at any time since the last router power on. Look for a router control page titled "Attached devices" or equivalent.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Time out. You misinterpreted, I think.

You're not 'wide open' if you have SSID broadcasting turned off and encryption (WPA or WEP) enabled. Those two items will block 98% of the possible hackers in your network. The other 2% probably have ways around anything you could afford to put in your house beyond that...and they'd have to REALLY want to get in for some reason.

woodstock said:
btw, mine is a Linksys WRT54GS
so far so good!
Linksys is now owned by Cisco. Your unit was one of the first ones with the Cisco input in design. It should be fine. I've installed a few lately.

Change the SSID, turn off SSID broadcasting and make sure WPA is enabled, preferably with a big key string. Change the channel from the defaults. After that, 9,999 out of a 10,000 computer users couldn't see it and 99,999 out of 100,000 couldn't get in. The last guy would have to want in real bad to go through the effort.

Ed Guthrie said:
Not true on either count. My Netgear router (WGT634U) traps MAC addresses until the next reboot. IOW, I can view the MAC address of every PC that connected at any time since the last router power on. Look for a router control page titled "Attached devices" or equivalent.

I still have to categorize the issue under 'Unlikely To Happen For the Average User'. If there are no reasonably simple buttons, no written instructions anywhere, or if have not had training on what steps to take, then its the same as 'not going to happen' because a person (me) just doesn't have a clue where to begin. That is where I stand; I see no instructions in the software, nothing on the hardware external surface, or in the manual and I havent been able to find found a recipe of steps to take.
Thanks, Brian and Ed.

Ed Guthrie said:
Ed, how many users do you know who actively review their router logs? The implied scenario here was "have the router TELL me" when an unauthorized user accesses the router. If the average user doesn't even know what a MAC address is, what are they supposed to do with the info? And, honestly, what good does it do you to see that 0E:45:20:9B:EF:39 connected to your router 10 days ago?

I suspect your router actually tells you DHCP served addresses, not MAC connections. If I was hacking your network, I wouldn't be using DHCP. I'd manually assign an IP address and probably spoof my MAC. No log entries. ;)

I was surprised to see how many people in my hood have unlocked wireless routers. when you first set it up and it starts looking around for networks and there were a ton here, and at least 4 of them were wide open.

Brian Austin said:
I suspect your router actually tells you DHCP served addresses, not MAC connections.

The router tells me all three for any device that accessed the router - MAC address, DHCP, and Windows device name. BTW, most folks are kind of obvious when they choose a device name for their PC so it makes it fairly easy to figure out who accessed my system.:rolleyes:

I realize you were talking about immediate notification, which is great if you have a 24-hour admin and you want to take active steps to repel boarders, but the access log is good if you merely want to monitor the effectiveness of your router settings. I started out rather lax with my router settings, but when I noticed that I was the ISP of choice in my neighborhood I started taking a few appropriate security measures.

Last edited:
By default, LINKSYS uses 192.168.1.1 as the base IP for the router. I included the IP address because you can download the manual and read about it yourself. You use that address to get into the setup menus. The newer ones with current firmware have a number of options which include a dhcp display with mac addresses. You should change the user/password on this menu also.
Any changes made here, from a wireless system may have an adverse affect on your access to the network. This I know; I'm such a tinkerer.
As Brian said, change your network ID, SSID broadcast, and add WEP or WPA IF your software supports it. Plan on making the changes from a hardwired PC.
There is an option on the linksys monitor (installed on your PC) to fish out other networks. It is curious in that most people never make these changes. Even the install guide fails to inform users of the security risks.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
I realize you were talking about immediate notification, which is great if you have a 24-hour admin and you want to take active steps to repel boarders, but the access log is good if you merely want to monitor the effectiveness of your router settings. I started out rather lax with my router settings, but when I noticed that I was the ISP of choice in my neighborhood I started taking a few appropriate security measures.

did you change your network name to GO AWAY or shame shame or something? haha

woodstock said:
I was surprised to see how many people in my hood have unlocked wireless routers. when you first set it up and it starts looking around for networks and there were a ton here, and at least 4 of them were wide open.

That's not uncommon. Most people treat it like a toaster, plug it in and it works.

lancefisher said:
Originally Posted by woodstock
That's not uncommon. Most people treat it like a toaster, plug it in and it works.

The security on these things are well described by the spaceship analogy.... Yes anyone can fly a spaceship.
Oh, yeah we did forget to mention that you have to have all that training and special instructions, so no, not everyone can do that I guess. :rofl:

if someone with a little bit of motivation can get into your network, it would be quite easy to capture information traveling over the network .. user/pass, email, instant messenges, etc...

even easier, if you're sitting at a hotspot, then everyone else at the hotspot is already on the network and anything you do could be easily captured.

i believe the guy who got prosecuted and found guilty was in britian and was using the network maliciously.

you're kidding right? maybe in the movies.

Back