I am gobsmacked

"Nobody asked us to detain him," Anthony said. "Being bizarre is not a reason to keep somebody out of this country or lock them up. ... We are governed by laws and regulations, and he did not violate any regulations."
OK, that just reads to me like "wasn't in my job description to THINK!"...

"Nobody asked us to detain him," Anthony said. "Being bizarre is not a reason to keep somebody out of this country or lock them up. ... We are governed by laws and regulations, and he did not violate any regulations."

And who the hell gave them permission to quote me? The guy didn't look or act suspicious at all. :)

the article's author said:
Despres arrived at the U.S.-Canadian border crossing at Calais, Maine, carrying a homemade sword, a hatchet, a knife, brass knuckles and a chain saw stained with what appeared to be blood.
the article's autohr said:
Despres hitchhiked to the border crossing.
Question. Did they ever locate the drivers missing brain?? :eek:

"Sure son, throw that chainsaw and sword in the back....."

Greebo said:
OK, that just reads to me like "wasn't in my job description to THINK!"...

Then again, had they detained him and he hadn't murdered anyone or done anything wrong, we'd all be bleating about how the customs guys overstepped their authority and detained him without reason. :dunno:

He had no warrants. He was processed, and allowed in as a Naturalized Citizen who we assume had the correct paperwork. I'll grant you tho, the sword, chainsaw and apparent blood should have been a clue - you don't need a lab to guess whether something is Blood, Jam or Paint.

At a time when we are trying to tighten our borders, the press will leap on whatever they can that makes it look like we should hide our head in the sands ;)

Yeah but they detained my 88 yo grandmother for a week because she had knitting needles in her hand bag:goofy:

SJP said:
Then again, had they detained him and he hadn't murdered anyone or done anything wrong, we'd all be bleating about how the customs guys overstepped their authority and detained him without reason.

I don't know about the state laws at his point of entry, but here in Texas, he could have been arrested for the sword as soon as he stepped over the state line (as long as it was on his person or within his reach ..not concealed in the trunk anyway). It's a illegal knife (blade over 5 1/2 inches). Not to mention the brass knuckles. At least they could have called the state guys and held him on a state violations to give them time to really check him out. I think they could have come up with something! No way I'm going to cut a guy lose with a bloody chainsaw, sword, brass knuckles and a knife! Not until I have a chance to do some basic background on him anyway.

Last edited:
So, TSA will turn someone in to the cops if they find an ounce of pot in their carry-on (even though it poses no harm to the airplane), but Customs won't stop a guy and ask a few questions about a bloody chainsaw??? :hairraise: :eek:

Um, can we at least fire someone for this?? Please???

Jeff

wsuffa said:
That's a cereal killer if I ever saw one. :yes: :eek: Not that I've actually seen one.... :no:

Lock up the Rice Crispies and Corn Chex. :D

ejensen said:
Lock up the Rice Crispies and Corn Chex. :D

Ha Eric! BTW, that guy definitely belongs in Boulder. :)

Back