I Am Converted

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I have been a pilot for almost 20 years, flying the usual assortment of single engined spam cans. I've owned Pipers and an Ercoupe, and flown rental Cessnas. I've got hours in a fairly wide variety of aircraft, from Cubs to Constellations.

But, oh, my goodness, I've never flown anything like the RV-8 I flew Sunday.

It is amazing what good engineering can produce. The controls are wonderfully harmonized and precise. Stability is comparable to a lawn dart -- point it "thataway" and it goes thataway, without wallow or wander.

Performance? Um, nothing comes close, per horsepower. We saw 200 mph with a 180 HP engine, and did a zoom climb at over 5000 feet per minute.

Want to do a roll? Why not? Want to carry folding chairs, a cooler, and two bags of clothes? It will do it.

Visibility? Unlimited. Comfort? I had more shoulder room than when I fly with another guy in my Pathfinder.

I believe Vans has designed the perfect single engine prop plane. I flew my plane on Monday, and it felt like I was trying to coax a freighter into port, by comparison.

I have been...converted. I now understand Geico's religious fervor.

Who are you, and what have you done with Jay?

Tandem seating....Not me. I usually have eye candy in the adjacent seat.

OMG Geico will not be able to get his head into this thread it will be too big.

But the appeal of a personal fighter....hmmmmmmm........

Ectually, there are several planes that are as good as the RV. No disrespect intended to the fervent flock. It is a fine plane, but not the be-all, end-all of GA aircraft.

Come on in, the water is fine!

Here, have some Kool-Aid. :D

I don't think you will be disappointed with the choice - especially when you see the benefit of visiting the Aviation Parts Department at Lowes. ;)

I went to my first EAA chapter meeting last night - it's a builder's chapter (Chapter 18, but actually the very first EAA chapter), and when I introduced myself and said I'm fascinated by the process, I was asked question after question from the president.

Q - "What are you thinking of building?"

A - "I think RVs are great looking."

Peanut gallery - "Yeas" and "Boos" (about equal - seem pretty passionate about their own make/model)

Q - "What model RV?"

A - "Not sure yet."

President - "Well, we've build every RV available except for a -14. You should build a -14."

:D

Ectually, there are several planes that are as good as the RV. No disrespect intended to the fervent flock. It is a fine plane, but not the be-all, end-all of GA aircraft.

What would be some comparable GA aircrafts in regards to performance/maneuverability etc?

What would be some comparable GA aircrafts in regards to performance/maneuverability etc?

I'm partial to the Glasair. The Thorp T-18 with some extra ponies is a decent match up but lands a bit faster. There are others.

I have been a pilot for almost 20 years, flying the usual assortment of single engined spam cans. I've owned Pipers and an Ercoupe, and flown rental Cessnas. I've got hours in a fairly wide variety of aircraft, from Cubs to Constellations.

But, oh, my goodness, I've never flown anything like the RV-8 I flew Sunday.

It is amazing what good engineering can produce. The controls are wonderfully harmonized and precise. Stability is comparable to a lawn dart -- point it "thataway" and it goes thataway, without wallow or wander.

Performance? Um, nothing comes close, per horsepower. We saw 200 mph with a 180 HP engine, and did a zoom climb at over 5000 feet per minute.

Want to do a roll? Why not? Want to carry folding chairs, a cooler, and two bags of clothes? It will do it.

Visibility? Unlimited. Comfort? I had more shoulder room than when I fly with another guy in my Pathfinder.

I believe Vans has designed the perfect single engine prop plane. I flew my plane on Monday, and it felt like I was trying to coax a freighter into port, by comparison.

I have been...converted. I now understand Geico's religious fervor.

Thanks Jay!

Wait until you hang out with RV aviators for a few years. ;)

No one plane is the end all incuding RV's. They are noted for "total performance" low stall, forgiving flight, speed, slow flight maneuvering, aerobatic, economy, parts availability, shear numbers flying, resale. None of the other EAB planes come close to the whole package.

Oh, and overhead breaks are optional. :D

No one plane is the end all incuding RV's. They are noted for "total performance" low stall, forgiving flight, speed, slow flight maneuvering, aerobatic, economy, parts availability, shear numbers flying, resale. None of the other EAB planes come close to the whole package.

These were the parameters mentioned by the OP: Performance? Want to do a roll? Why not? Want to carry folding chairs, a cooler, and two bags of clothes? Visibility? Comfort?

You've added some others. I personally don't care if the RVs are the largest number flying. All of your other parameters can be met by the Glasair just fine. I don't consider number flying to be a "performance" grading, but that's just me.

Welcome to the club. I always tell my friends that once you fly a high performance homebuilt, you'll never go back to production. You can't beat an RV or Glasair for all around versatility. You can fly farther, faster and look better than anything in its price range. You can go out in the morning, do some aerobatics and recover with an instrument approach using glass technology that costs a fraction of certified. Maintenance is cheaper because your not restricted to certified parts and you're not looking for some 30 yr old part that's been heavily marked up. Homebuilts are just the logical choice...if you don't need seats in the back.

Made the mistake(?) of getting a ride in an RV-6 at my hanger. Then a month later a ride in a 9A.

Six months later I'm building leading edges on the wings for my 9A.

-Dan

Welcome to the club. I always tell my friends that once you fly a high performance homebuilt, you'll never go back to production. You can't beat an RV or Glasair for all around versatility. You can fly farther, faster and look better than anything in its price range. You can go out in the morning, do some aerobatics and recover with an instrument approach using glass technology that costs a fraction of certified. Maintenance is cheaper because your not restricted to certified parts and you're not looking for some 30 yr old part that's been heavily marked up. Homebuilts are just the logical choice...if you don't need seats in the back.

Dude! You were doing so good!! :yes:

Think RV-10! :lol:

Dude! You were doing so good!! :yes:

Think RV-10! :lol:

Oh I like the RV-10, but I think It has strong competition from Mooney and Bonanzas for that price range. I think in a few years RV-10 will be more reasonable for used models. Even then, I don't need a back seat so I see myself eventually upgrading to a Glasair III.

Lifecycle of the RV convert:

Have a ride or two. Get 'converted'. Go to a few EAA mtgs. Visit with other builders and owners. Order the DVD from Vans. Order the tail kit. Start building. Order the next kit. Nearly finish the tail kit. Get distracted with flying. Push tail kit in corner. Unpack next kit, and stare at all the bits. Go fly something. Get the tail kit back out and look at all those clecos. Put it back in the corner. Wait two years. Take pics of tail kit and next boxes of bits. Put it on Barnstormers, advertising it as '80% completed, only needs a few details to fly!' Sell for a few bucks, and buy a Cherokee.

I'm partial to the Glasair. The Thorp T-18 with some extra ponies is a decent match up but lands a bit faster. There are others.

RV's are great airplanes, but I'm partial to Glasairs. They are faster, better handling, stronger airframes.......but a lot harder to build. So if you are buying an already built aircraft and you have discovered what experimental aircraft have available, do yourself a favor and fly some others before you buy. You may find that the difference is that again which you discovered going from your spam can to the RV! Just my two cents of course.

Lifecycle of the RV convert:

Have a ride or two. Get 'converted'. Go to a few EAA mtgs. Visit with other builders and owners. Order the DVD from Vans. Order the tail kit. Start building. Order the next kit. Nearly finish the tail kit. Get distracted with flying. Push tail kit in corner. Unpack next kit, and stare at all the bits. Go fly something. Get the tail kit back out and look at all those clecos. Put it back in the corner. Wait two years. Take pics of tail kit and next boxes of bits. Put it on Barnstormers, advertising it as '80% completed, only needs a few details to fly!' Sell for a few bucks, and buy a Cherokee.

Where were you lurking and stalking me??! :nono:

RV's are great airplanes, but I'm partial to Glasairs. They are faster, better handling, stronger airframes.......but a lot harder to build. So if you are buying an already built aircraft and you have discovered what experimental aircraft have available, do yourself a favor and fly some others before you buy. You may find that the difference is that again which you discovered going from your spam can to the RV! Just my two cents of course.

I like them, too....even hold a world speed record in one. But glass construction isn't for everyone. I know some guys that developed some significant health issues. At least with the RV you just need big boxes of band-aids! :)

I think a Glasair would be my choice, with a quick-build option. If I could afford it & still had time in my schedule, that is.

Back