I am a PIC! Solo writeup.

Meanee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Meanee
So, I knew this day would come. To me, "when am I going to solo" was simple. Instructor was upfront about it. Did not do this "Ok, I am going to go, you go fly" surprise thing.

Day started in Linden, NJ. Due to CFI's insurance policy, he cannot let students solo in his PA28-161. And he has ties to the FBO in KXLL. About 57nm away. So, I was told to plan a cross country to KXLL, returning to N12 (small airport in Lakewood, New Jersey) and from N12 to KLDJ. Flight plan done, WX-BRIEF called, no TFRs, calm winds, clear skies, off we go.

During my cross country I noticed that I cannot keep nose pointed in the right direction. Kept drifting to the right and always correcting myself. By the time I was done, I was off course. Since I did not plan out VORs for this leg, and flying to ground reference alone, and hazy weather adding up to all of this, flight was challenging. Contacted Allentown approach, who directed me to a different course. CFI told me that he wanted to see how am I going to deal with this mistake. I did not have to talk to approach (Class C, but I was under it), but decided to get advisories. And got a vector to KXLL as well. Landing in KXLL was uneventful. A bit left crosswind, which I did not completely correct for, so landing was somewhat bumpy. Parked airplane, me, CFI and my girlfriend who volunteered to go, all went to FBO.

At FBO, I was told that aircraft that my CFI booked was not available for next hour or so. Time spent by studying a generic short version of POH (which curiously had NO emergency procedures) and doing pre-solo written. All questions answered except ADIZ. A bad reminder from my previous CFI, who told me that TFR is actually ADIZ, and if you file a flight plan, you can fly in it. Still 30 minutes to kill, so I started planning cross country back. Distances, VORs, fuel, speed done. Did not do winds, since they may change.

1pm, my reserved aircraft arrived. Grabbed a copy of a checklist, went to preflight. Tons of differences between Cessna and Piper. Different strainers, flaps, etc. 110hp engine vs 180hp on Piper. On a preflight, notice and tell CFI that rudder is flopping around like nothing is holding it. Got into cockpit, pushed pedals, tested rudder reaction, all seems ok, except WAY too easy to push pedals. Noted that to the CFI too.

Preflight done. Now need to get used to the checklist. Different format, different settings (runup, for example, 2000rpm on Piper, vs 1700 on Cessna), but pre-start complete. Starting engine, taxi checklist done, off we go to the runup area. Now, remember where I noticed that rudder pedals are very easy to push? This is where I noticed that they do not do jack to the front wheel. Told this to the CFI, who mentioned that control rods (Nope, not the nuclear reactor ones) are probably removed. Prop wash hitting rudder helped with steering it on the ground, but most of the time, I had to use differential brakes. Went to runup, all complete, takeoff.

In flight, C152 was not that much different. I did not use full flaps on landing, and it seemed ok. What annoyed me to no end is that high wing blocks the view of the field. Not what I was used to in Piper. 2 Touch and Go's done. Was told that next one is full stop. Downwind, instructor pulls throttle to idle, lowers all flaps, and told me that I just had an engine failure. A bit nervous, forgetting the checklist (new checklist, would've taken me few minutes to find the procedure), and forgetting to tell the CTAF that we are simulating engine failure, I established glide speed (thanks, pre-solo written), turned towards the field. Tried to trim, but spent more time looking for that sweet spot. Abandoned the idea, and continued towards the field. Trying to bleed off some altitude, overshot the final (on purpose), and returned back to the runway. One of my best landings in a while! Was told by CFI to pull off the next taxi way, and happy that all is ok, I pushed the brakes. Then I realized that Cessna reacts to this differently. Plane's CG seemed to shift forward, and I released the brakes to counter that. Got off the runway, after landing checklist done, ok. CFI asked me to show him brake technique again. Told me to go on the runway, report that we are doing fast taxi. Got up to 50kts, pulled throttle to idle, and properly used brakes this time. Took me a bit longer to stop, but nice, safe, smooth. Instructor asked me how I am feeling, and told me to drop him off at one of the taxiways. I was given instructions to do 2 landings, all to full stop and taxi past him on every landing. And off I go!!!

======================== THIS IS WHERE I REALIZE THAT "HOLY (#*$, RIGHT SEAT IS EMPTY! ===============================
Immediately, my map goes on it. Ahh freedom. Did you all know that C152 is quite roomy when there's only 1 person in it?

Started by taxiing to Hold Short line for 25. Wind's good, headwind, almost no crosswind component. Instrument check, all good. Look both ways, report that I am taking 25, remaining in left pattern. No reply. Awesome. I am about to take off! Alone! No instructor! Only me at controls! This should be illegal! I give it a bit of throttle, cross hold short line a bit, and radio breaks "Queen City Traffic, Mooney turning base, Runway 7". Ok, not good. "Mooney, this is Cessna on Rwy 25. Are you close to landing? I was about to depart" "Mooney will land in a minute, will report when active clear, you should have me in sight". I didn't. KXLL has a small "hill" of a runway. "Cessna on Rwy 25 will hold. Note that I am half way in position". Ok, minute passes. "Queen City Traffic, Mooney cleared active". I report that I am departing 25, give it another 10 seconds to make sure that nobody decides they need to land. Position. Brakes. Throttle in. RPM rises. Brakes off. Rolling. Rotate, TAKEOFF! I AM IN THE AIR. ALONE! Ok, awesome. Now, how about I fly this damn thing? Remembered noise abatement, turned right to go around a small group of houses right at the end of 25. Turning base. "Queen City Traffic, Cessna 172 entering downwind, Rwy 25" and I do not see him. Report myself that I am in crosswind. Saw the Cessna, announced myself as #2 for landing and that I have traffic in sight. Turned final, perfect glideslope. Touchdown. I expected to bounce around on runway, but remembered my training, made a smooth landing. Pulled off the runway, passed the CFI, who gestured me for another round in the pattern.

2nd takeoff was uneventful. Nobody trying to land, no traffic at all. At hold short line, habit kicked in, I check all instruments. Oh look. Am I really going to take off with 20 degree flaps? Let's set them to 0 before bad things happen. Flaps retracted, uneventful takeoff, uneventful pattern, and pretty good landing. Longer landing roll than the first one, but hey, PLENTY of runway left. Turned off the runway, went to my CFI who flagged me to stop. He got in, and we taxi to the FBO. With a huge grin on my face, and sweat dripping from forehead, I hop out of this 152, and get a congratulations from my CFI and girlfriend, who was observing everything from a ground.

I was given an option to fly a bit more, but METAR showed overcast moving in. So, tie down, pay, plan out winds for my flight back, hop into Piper and off we go. Some hood work on the way (that thing is torture. But I learned to trust instruments) and we are done.

Result: 0.3 time in my logbook as Solo and PIC. 2 entries on my logbook endorsements (pre-solo written and solo), and a signoff on my medical/student certificate. :goofy:

*High five* Well done! Just reading your story made me want to go out an fly.

Congrats!! I enjoyed reading your write up :). Brought back memories of my first solo!

So, I knew this day would come. To me, "when am I going to solo" was simple. Instructor was upfront about it. Did not do this "Ok, I am going to go, you go fly" surprise thing.

Day started in Linden, NJ. Due to CFI's insurance policy, he cannot let students solo in his PA28-161. And he has ties to the FBO in KXLL. About 57nm away. So, I was told to plan a cross country to KXLL, returning to N12 (small airport in Lakewood, New Jersey) and from N12 to KLDJ. Flight plan done, WX-BRIEF called, no TFRs, calm winds, clear skies, off we go.

During my cross country I noticed that I cannot keep nose pointed in the right direction. Kept drifting to the right and always correcting myself. By the time I was done, I was off course. Since I did not plan out VORs for this leg, and flying to ground reference alone, and hazy weather adding up to all of this, flight was challenging. Contacted Allentown approach, who directed me to a different course. CFI told me that he wanted to see how am I going to deal with this mistake. I did not have to talk to approach (Class C, but I was under it), but decided to get advisories. And got a vector to KXLL as well. Landing in KXLL was uneventful. A bit left crosswind, which I did not completely correct for, so landing was somewhat bumpy. Parked airplane, me, CFI and my girlfriend who volunteered to go, all went to FBO.

At FBO, I was told that aircraft that my CFI booked was not available for next hour or so. Time spent by studying a generic short version of POH (which curiously had NO emergency procedures) and doing pre-solo written. All questions answered except ADIZ. A bad reminder from my previous CFI, who told me that TFR is actually ADIZ, and if you file a flight plan, you can fly in it. Still 30 minutes to kill, so I started planning cross country back. Distances, VORs, fuel, speed done. Did not do winds, since they may change.

1pm, my reserved aircraft arrived. Grabbed a copy of a checklist, went to preflight. Tons of differences between Cessna and Piper. Different strainers, flaps, etc. 110hp engine vs 180hp on Piper. On a preflight, notice and tell CFI that rudder is flopping around like nothing is holding it. Got into cockpit, pushed pedals, tested rudder reaction, all seems ok, except WAY too easy to push pedals. Noted that to the CFI too.

Preflight done. Now need to get used to the checklist. Different format, different settings (runup, for example, 2000rpm on Piper, vs 1700 on Cessna), but pre-start complete. Starting engine, taxi checklist done, off we go to the runup area. Now, remember where I noticed that rudder pedals are very easy to push? This is where I noticed that they do not do jack to the front wheel. Told this to the CFI, who mentioned that control rods (Nope, not the nuclear reactor ones) are probably removed. Prop wash hitting rudder helped with steering it on the ground, but most of the time, I had to use differential brakes. Went to runup, all complete, takeoff.

In flight, C152 was not that much different. I did not use full flaps on landing, and it seemed ok. What annoyed me to no end is that high wing blocks the view of the field. Not what I was used to in Piper. 2 Touch and Go's done. Was told that next one is full stop. Downwind, instructor pulls throttle to idle, lowers all flaps, and told me that I just had an engine failure. A bit nervous, forgetting the checklist (new checklist, would've taken me few minutes to find the procedure), and forgetting to tell the CTAF that we are simulating engine failure, I established glide speed (thanks, pre-solo written), turned towards the field. Tried to trim, but spent more time looking for that sweet spot. Abandoned the idea, and continued towards the field. Trying to bleed off some altitude, overshot the final (on purpose), and returned back to the runway. One of my best landings in a while! Was told by CFI to pull off the next taxi way, and happy that all is ok, I pushed the brakes. Then I realized that Cessna reacts to this differently. Plane's CG seemed to shift forward, and I released the brakes to counter that. Got off the runway, after landing checklist done, ok. CFI asked me to show him brake technique again. Told me to go on the runway, report that we are doing fast taxi. Got up to 50kts, pulled throttle to idle, and properly used brakes this time. Took me a bit longer to stop, but nice, safe, smooth. Instructor asked me how I am feeling, and told me to drop him off at one of the taxiways. I was given instructions to do 2 landings, all to full stop and taxi past him on every landing. And off I go!!!

======================== THIS IS WHERE I REALIZE THAT "HOLY (#*$, RIGHT SEAT IS EMPTY! ===============================
Immediately, my map goes on it. Ahh freedom. Did you all know that C152 is quite roomy when there's only 1 person in it?

Started by taxiing to Hold Short line for 25. Wind's good, headwind, almost no crosswind component. Instrument check, all good. Look both ways, report that I am taking 25, remaining in left pattern. No reply. Awesome. I am about to take off! Alone! No instructor! Only me at controls! This should be illegal! I give it a bit of throttle, cross hold short line a bit, and radio breaks "Queen City Traffic, Mooney turning base, Runway 7". Ok, not good. "Mooney, this is Cessna on Rwy 25. Are you close to landing? I was about to depart" "Mooney will land in a minute, will report when active clear, you should have me in sight". I didn't. KXLL has a small "hill" of a runway. "Cessna on Rwy 25 will hold. Note that I am half way in position". Ok, minute passes. "Queen City Traffic, Mooney cleared active". I report that I am departing 25, give it another 10 seconds to make sure that nobody decides they need to land. Position. Brakes. Throttle in. RPM rises. Brakes off. Rolling. Rotate, TAKEOFF! I AM IN THE AIR. ALONE! Ok, awesome. Now, how about I fly this damn thing? Remembered noise abatement, turned right to go around a small group of houses right at the end of 25. Turning base. "Queen City Traffic, Cessna 172 entering downwind, Rwy 25" and I do not see him. Report myself that I am in crosswind. Saw the Cessna, announced myself as #2 for landing and that I have traffic in sight. Turned final, perfect glideslope. Touchdown. I expected to bounce around on runway, but remembered my training, made a smooth landing. Pulled off the runway, passed the CFI, who gestured me for another round in the pattern.

2nd takeoff was uneventful. Nobody trying to land, no traffic at all. At hold short line, habit kicked in, I check all instruments. Oh look. Am I really going to take off with 20 degree flaps? Let's set them to 0 before bad things happen. Flaps retracted, uneventful takeoff, uneventful pattern, and pretty good landing. Longer landing roll than the first one, but hey, PLENTY of runway left. Turned off the runway, went to my CFI who flagged me to stop. He got in, and we taxi to the FBO. With a huge grin on my face, and sweat dripping from forehead, I hop out of this 152, and get a congratulations from my CFI and girlfriend, who was observing everything from a ground.

I was given an option to fly a bit more, but METAR showed overcast moving in. So, tie down, pay, plan out winds for my flight back, hop into Piper and off we go. Some hood work on the way (that thing is torture. But I learned to trust instruments) and we are done.

Result: 0.3 time in my logbook as Solo and PIC. 2 entries on my logbook endorsements (pre-solo written and solo), and a signoff on my medical/student certificate. :goofy:

Cessna's use bungee type control lines to aid with nosewheel steering. This way you don't overstress any control rods trying to get the nosewheel to turn when there isn't enough forward movement to allow the wheel to turn.

No, they were not removed nor broken -- see above. Also on the larger cessna models the nosewheel steering is usually limited to 10-15 degrees the other 30-35 degrees of availible nosewheel travel is from differential braking or allowing free travel to full deflection with no opposing input.

That should be the other way around, unless you mean you can't see while in a turn :)

Yep, blocked view during a turn. But as for nose gear, rudder pedals were flopping around, encountering virtually no resistance.

Congrats on the solo in a completely unknown aircraft to you without a comprehensive checkout, or even a series of stalls and slow flight, which was also possibly broken -- and the CFI said to take it up anyway?!

(Good lord.)

Imagine the accident report... "The student pilot had no prior experience in the aircraft type flown prior to the day of the solo flight... another pilot reported that the nosegear steering wasn't working properly in the accident aircraft... The accident aircraft departed the runway into the grass at high-speed and flipped, fatally injuring the student pilot."

I see all sorts of bad decisions that could have started an accident chain here. I'm glad you survived it. You flew the plane. That's great.

I'm in severe disagreement with your CFI training you in a dissimilar aircraft and then soloing you in something unfamiliar. That's downright stupid.

Now just in case you're not aware... Cessna nosegear steering is connected to the rudder pedals via bungee cords basically. Was the steering *really* disconnected or just required power to get the nosewheel rolling so the bungees could pull it over the direction you wanted to turn?

At this point in your training, I wouldn't really expect you to know. If you voiced that concern to the CFI and it wasn't adequately explained prior to flight...?!

By the time I soloed a Cessna 150, I had flown two of those and a Cessna 152. We then took a couple hours to transition to a 172 because the 150 is an underpowered dog up here at 5500' MSL. Then I was signed off to go solo in the 172s.

Swapping types on solo day without a couple hours of transition time seems a bit thoughtless on the part of the CFI. Maybe even reckless.

Congrats on the solo in a completely unknown aircraft to you without a comprehensive checkout, or even a series of stalls and slow flight, which was also possibly broken -- and the CFI said to take it up anyway?!

(Good lord.)

Imagine the accident report... "The student pilot had no prior experience in the aircraft type flown prior to the day of the solo flight... another pilot reported that the nosegear steering wasn't working properly in the accident aircraft... The accident aircraft departed the runway into the grass at high-speed and flipped, fatally injuring the student pilot."

I see all sorts of bad decisions that could have started an accident chain here. I'm glad you survived it. You flew the plane. That's great.

I'm in severe disagreement with your CFI training you in a dissimilar aircraft and then soloing you in something unfamiliar. That's downright stupid.

Now just in case you're not aware... Cessna nosegear steering is connected to the rudder pedals via bungee cords basically. Was the steering *really* disconnected or just required power to get the nosewheel rolling so the bungees could pull it over the direction you wanted to turn?

At this point in your training, I wouldn't really expect you to know. If you voiced that concern to the CFI and it wasn't adequately explained prior to flight...?!

By the time I soloed a Cessna 150, I had flown two of those and a Cessna 152. We then took a couple hours to transition to a 172 because the 150 is an underpowered dog up here at 5500' MSL. Then I was signed off to go solo in the 172s.

Swapping types on solo day without a couple hours of transition time seems a bit thoughtless on the part of the CFI. Maybe even reckless.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your first solo!

Second of all, it may have been more difficult (and dangerous) than necessary for some of the reasons that Nate mentioned above. Have a discussion with your CFI about this and tell him that it's a teaching moment! :)

And please... don't EVER launch in any more airplanes you think are broken until someone proves to you they're not!!!

(Rentals can be particularly tricky in this regard. I've walked back into an FBO and handed back the keys and said, "It's broken" before. I've also seen an FBO hand the keys to the next guy in line who took the broken airplane up anyway, without fixing the problem. One FBO locally here penalizes CFIs who write up problems that can't be found. An utterly unsafe situation. But there's a line of CFIs around the block who'd happily take their place on the staff roster if they don't play ball.)

Just be careful. Figure out why this odd setup of going from the CFIs plane to the different type was done. I'd worry a little bit about a CFI who was doing Primary flight training in his own airplane but hadn't done the business side of things correctly to be able to afford the correct insurance to cover student solos. Is the rental price "too good to be true" when compared with other local larger flight schools?

If the answer to your questions doesn't convince you, or you feel like something's not right, the time to fix it or figure it out is prior to leaving the ground.

I have a feeling this is just a misunderstanding between you and the CFI, but you've always got the final say on the gear you've decided is safe enough to take you aloft and back to Earth. And you'd better find out what his scheme is. Why can't he charge a higher price and insure the aircraft appropriate to the type of training he's doing? Very unprofessional.

Good learning experience in communication if nothing else. Find out what your CFI was thinking. Soon.

If you don't like his answers, the CFI may be broken instead of the airplane. ;) ;) ;)

Ditto to what Nate (DenverPilot) said..
Congratulations on your solo.
Very nice write up, hope you write more as you progress.

Mike

As PIC you get to make near instantaneous decisions...
We (and the NTSB) get to pick those decisions apart at leisure and in excruciating detail...
Welcome to the club...

denny-o

And please... don't EVER launch in any more airplanes you think are broken until someone proves to you they're not!!!

Amen to that, and it's not just something student pilots do. I have flown with a couple of friends before, one of whom is a very experienced pilot with high performance, multi, and God only knows what other ratings. He's also living proof that the adage about there not being any "old, bold pilots" is not quite true. While taking a rental plane out one day there was a "Hmm, that's odd" moment or two while taxiing, and ignoring it led to a near death experience. Rather than write it all up here, you can read about the details in my blog if you want.

Suffice to say, I'll never try to fly anything that I don't know inside and out, or that is acting in a way I don't expect or can't explain. 100' up on takeoff, high AOA, low speed, throttle wide open is NOT the time to be wondering what the hell is going on.

While the rudder pedals situation did worry me, I was able to get a fairly good control of the plane on the ground. I had to use more differential braking that I would ever use on Piper. It could be a result of spring control mechanism, or maybe not. I will look more at the airplane when I am at the FBO again. I do remember it took me a fair amount of pedal movement to get aircraft going there I wanted it to go. This is when I decided to rely more on differential braking. During the takeoff, I had no problem keeping it on the centerline. It's not that I felt that I have no control.

As for more comprehensive checkout, I agree, that couldve been done. But I honestly felt that the C152 was not very different from Piper. I noted the difference in performance, factored in that without 2nd person in it, and reduced gross weight of it vs piper will compensate for reduced power. I did receive stall recovery, steep turns, and other maneuvers training not too long ago so it was all fresh in my mind. And I decided that it would be acceptable for me to fly this particular aircraft. And while I agree that preparation could be better, I stand by my decision.

As for training on one, and soloing in another aircraft, my CFI was very upfront about it. Even before I paid a single cent to him, he explained to me that this is not going to be my solo/checkout aircraft. He explained to me all the reasons, made sure that I understood, and I agreed to that. He did say that he had few people walk away after hearing that explanation, but most people stick around.

Someone brought up the cost of the rental. The C152 I flew in has a new transponder, radio, audio panel, and a Garmin GNS430 GPS. And price is $93/hour. The FBO is about hour and a half drive for me, but cheapest C152 I found in my area is $120.

While the rudder pedals situation did worry me, I was able to get a fairly good control of the plane on the ground. I had to use more differential braking that I would ever use on Piper. It could be a result of spring control mechanism, or maybe not. I will look more at the airplane when I am at the FBO again. I do remember it took me a fair amount of pedal movement to get aircraft going there I wanted it to go. This is when I decided to rely more on differential braking. During the takeoff, I had no problem keeping it on the centerline. It's not that I felt that I have no control.

As for more comprehensive checkout, I agree, that couldve been done. But I honestly felt that the C152 was not very different from Piper. I noted the difference in performance, factored in that without 2nd person in it, and reduced gross weight of it vs piper will compensate for reduced power. I did receive stall recovery, steep turns, and other maneuvers training not too long ago so it was all fresh in my mind. And I decided that it would be acceptable for me to fly this particular aircraft. And while I agree that preparation could be better, I stand by my decision.

As for training on one, and soloing in another aircraft, my CFI was very upfront about it. Even before I paid a single cent to him, he explained to me that this is not going to be my solo/checkout aircraft. He explained to me all the reasons, made sure that I understood, and I agreed to that. He did say that he had few people walk away after hearing that explanation, but most people stick around.

Someone brought up the cost of the rental. The C152 I flew in has a new transponder, radio, audio panel, and a Garmin GNS430 GPS. And price is $93/hour. The FBO is about hour and a half drive for me, but cheapest C152 I found in my area is $120.

Perhaps I wasn't too clear on my first post, and others hit on the subject I didn't want to (flying a plane for the first time on a solo flight).... But, there was nothing wrong with the rudder pedals. That is a normal reaction that lots of cherokee to cessna pilots have due to the bungee chords on the cessna (not a spring system, but a bungee chord system). The bungee chords also allow you to be able to move the rudder a fair distance before encountering resistance while doing your walk around. The point of my previous post was to more harp on your situation then you're solo.... You should never have been flying a plane that you had never flown before for your solo - when it comes to changing types of planes. Nothing wrong with going 172-172 but 172-to say a M20 mooney :nono:.

Your reaction to the situation with the rudder controls and movement show that neither you nor your instructor were familiar with a 152. That's scary to me because you're instructor would not have been able to properly train you on the systems of that plane and the pre-solo written is should cover aircraft systems to some extent. It's a bad situation to put a student in to go fly a plane that they've never flown before AND do it for the first time by yourself.

Congradulations on the solo flight though.... it is something we all remember well :)

My instructor has a ton of time in C152. He is also a CFI at that FBO and trained a decent number of folks in 152.

My instructor has a ton of time in C152. He is also a CFI at that FBO and trained a decent number of folks in 152.

Why was he not familiar with the bungee chord system? It is printed in Ch 7 of the POH for the Cessnas.

Bob

Why was he not familiar with the bungee chord system? It is printed in Ch 7 of the POH for the Cessnas.

Bob

I'll make sure I ask him. It could be something simple as he missed my question, or could be something else. Not making judgments just yet.

Congratulations!

I've solo'd twice, once 20 years ago and again last April after a 20 year layoff, both in a 150. I am on the verge of soloing the taildragger and I think it will be more exciting for me than the two times before.

It's one of thos days you never forget. Thanks for the great write up.

Doc

Always wanted to try a taildragger, but I am worried about whole "I cannot see anything!" during takeoff or landing. Need to try it soon though.

Yes it is. Climbs better, too. :thumbsup:

Congratulations. It's a day we pilots never forget.

I practice in a low MSL fields. The field I am taking off from is at 23' elevation. The field where I rent the Cessna is at 399'. So, climbs are not very challenging for me. I had more problems with PA28. Full tanks, me, my CFI, and a passenger, and a relatively short runway made things interesting.

And while I agree that preparation could be better, I stand by my decision.

First, congrats! Great job flying the plane. On to the decision-making section of the post ;). This is a strange situation that I'm not sure I personally would have been comfortable with, but that quoted part above is the most comforting part of your response to in my mind...it shows you understand, at least somewhat, what PIC means. While others may disagree with the decision you made, at least you understand it was your decision and you own up to it; many student pilots, especially pre-solo, probably don't quite get that, and would defer to their intructor's judgement. Great job, PIC.

First, congrats! Great job flying the plane. On to the decision-making section of the post ;). This is a strange situation that I'm not sure I personally would have been comfortable with, but that quoted part above is the most comforting part of your response to in my mind...it shows you understand, at least somewhat, what PIC means. While others may disagree with the decision you made, at least you understand it was your decision and you own up to it; many student pilots, especially pre-solo, probably don't quite get that, and would defer to their intructor's judgement. Great job, PIC.

mmmm, I'd disagree a lot with that claim. You could ask a teenager who has driven the family van 8 times to go race an 800hp car at a road track and say the teenager's decision to stay with the choice to drive and own up to it was a good thing. Those who had been driving instructors would tend to say the teen didn't have enough experience nor knowledge about the race car to be able to make an informed decision. That would be the teen's mentor's fault. At the pre-solo stage of flight training the student should be part of the decision making process.... The responsibility lies with the instructor. What the OP is saying by "owning up to the decision" is that he trusted his instructor's wisdom. Going to an earlier post --- How would the NTSB's final report be summed up? I bet it would start with this sentance --- The certified flight instructors decision to allow a student pilot to conduct an initial solo in an unfamiliar aircraft, contributing to the accident was the student pilot's failure to execute a go-around ---- Just sayin :)

An instructor who lets a student pilot make decisions pre solo is a good instructor --- an instructor who lets a student pilot make a decision based on suggestions and not training = bad ADM on both parties. If I read the situation correctly, the student flew at least one dual flight with the instructor. Obviously it was a write up and so a lot was left out, but it sounds as though very little instruction took place in the 152 --- very little differences training. The biggie, though, is that I can't say that was the case since so much was left out. It does seem a little odd that a student would comment about the rudder on several occasions to the instructor and it was blown off or otherwise and told not to worry about it with no explination as to why it was that way.

Back