I am a new proud owner of a Cessna 182RG! :)

I was reading a thread about a student who was having a difficult time in the flare and it turns out his instructor wouldn't let him trim on final. Without trimming on final you'll likely bend your firewall really quickly in a 182, 210, 206 etc. Not trimming is only making the work for yourself 10x more difficult than it needs to be. I'm a super tiny woman but I'm not a super large woman either and my CFI said that if I can land my R182 as well as I do there are no excuses for men who can't just because they refuse to trim. Trim really is the not-so-secret secret to flying HP airplanes like the 182.

I fly a 182 and a 421B, trim is your friend on both of them! :D As for go arounds, after I push the throttle up, my hand is awfully close to the trim wheel in either airplane.;)

I fly a 182 and a 421B, trim is your friend on both of them! :D As for go arounds, after I push the throttle up, my hand is awfully close to the trim wheel in either airplane.;)

Yeah, just go straight there on power up for a go-around. It just becomes a natural flow.

I've also seen one person "two-stage" it in a 182, with enough power to level off, trim, finish with full power, trim again... But I'm not a fan of that at all.

I don't know if he was worried about arm strength or what. He was in his 70s. And it was a very deliberate sequence. I didn't ask. It wasn't in conditions that'd put the outcome of the maneuver in question.

I filed it away in the "if my arm ever hurts real bad" box of tricks in my brain, but can't see ever pulling that particular box off the brain shelf. :)

Yeah, just go straight there on power up for a go-around. It just becomes a natural flow.

I've also seen one person "two-stage" it in a 182, with enough power to level off, trim, finish with full power, trim again... But I'm not a fan of that at all.

I don't know if he was worried about arm strength or what. He was in his 70s. And it was a very deliberate sequence. I didn't ask. It wasn't in conditions that'd put the outcome of the maneuver in question.

I filed it away in the "if my arm ever hurts real bad" box of tricks in my brain, but can't see ever pulling that particular box off the brain shelf. :)

In most HP aircraft, partial power will be plenty enough to remain level. Unless suddenly a extended construction crane appears on the runway, that two-stage go-around is imnho perfectly acceptable.

Could he have flown something with a little teenie weenie vertical stab and a big piston engine up front sometime in the past, like a P51 maybe ?

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm a big fan of the 182RG. Sweet flying plane.

Back