I am a new proud owner of a Cessna 182RG! :)

Mafoo

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mafoo
Well, in a group with 4 others. Plane flys great, in a nice hanger, and awaiting me finishing up my ppl.

I have all my solo time done, so my plan is to do all the time I have left as duel time towards my complex and high performance endorsements, and take my checkride in it :)

Merry Christmass to me!

Now to get on a southwest airlines flight, and head to Atlanta to spend the week with my family.

Smart move. You'll love it.

We want to see a trip report on that next visit to Atlanta. I have only been up once in a newer 182. Very roomy and stable. Yes, very smart going with a partnership in our economic times.

Thanks everyone! And in case I was not clear. I am anew owner, but the 182 is a 1978 model. It only has 3300 hours airtime however, and the interior is new. Awesome plane :)

When I get back, I will take and post some pics!

Well, in a group with 4 others. Plane flys great, in a nice hanger, and awaiting me finishing up my ppl.

I have all my solo time done, so my plan is to do all the time I have left as duel time towards my complex and high performance endorsements, and take my checkride in it :)

Merry Christmass to me!

Now to get on a southwest airlines flight, and head to Atlanta to spend the week with my family.

What part of Atlanta will you be in?

Congrats on the Christmas present. Now it's time to see the bute with some pictures

Congrats!!! Post pics of the interior especially, I am getting close to getting mine redone. Let me know if you have any questions or anything and I can try to help answer. I'm not an expert by any means but I just passed 100 hours in mine so I'm finally sort of familiar with it :) It really is the best airplane and I can't say enough about it that I didn't realize when I bought it. It's fast, it's efficient, it hauls a bunch of stuff and it's not a total maintenance pig. It's like a Chevy truck, not the king of anything but does everything pretty darn well.

PS I left mine in the hangar this week too. She's staying warm down in Phoenix (my CFII might take her for a bit though) while I flew Allegiant up to South Dakota. I HATE THE AIRLINES. :mad2:

Congrats!!! Post pics of the interior especially, I am getting close to getting mine redone. Let me know if you have any questions or anything and I can try to help answer. I'm not an expert by any means but I just passed 100 hours in mine so I'm finally sort of familiar with it :) It really is the best airplane and I can't say enough about it that I didn't realize when I bought it. It's fast, it's efficient, it hauls a bunch of stuff and it's not a total maintenance pig. It's like a Chevy truck, not the king of anything but does everything pretty darn well.

PS I left mine in the hangar this week too. She's staying warm down in Phoenix (my CFII might take her for a bit though) while I flew Allegiant up to South Dakota. I HATE THE AIRLINES. :mad2:

Thanks, I will post some pics of the inside. The panel is very nice and clean, but dated. It has GPS and an autopilot, but not a Garmin, and the autopilot won't hold altitude. I hear on an RG, that's not that big of a deal.

Cool! That's only about 15 miles as the crow flies from where I will be. Interested in giving me a tour of LZU later in the week? :)

I'm sure we can work something out. PM me when you have a better idea of time frame.

Good, solid traveling machine. You'll enjoy it. I had a straight-leg version....even got engaged in it!

Thanks, I will post some pics of the inside. The panel is very nice and clean, but dated. It has GPS and an autopilot, but not a Garmin, and the autopilot won't hold altitude. I hear on an RG, that's not that big of a deal.

Nah it's really not. My autopilot is the same way and as long as she's trimmed up she holds altitude just fine. I do have a 430 with an MX20 MFD in mine but nothing newer than that, though I have an HSI which I freakin' love. You'll find yourself making TONS of trim adjustments and in every slightly different change of pitch, power or wind even. You'll get good at the trim wheel (and trim for landing!)

C-182 is a great airplane. Congratulations!

Congrats but be careful, they are nose heavy, especially after typical private flight trainers. Otherwise, one of the most versatile planes ever made.

Merry Christmass to me!

Congrats but be careful, they are nose heavy, especially after typical private flight trainers. Otherwise, one of the most versatile planes ever made.

After hearing people say "nose heavy" about the 'kota all I can say is that there is more than a slight overstatement about claimed control forces in some aircraft.

All ya gotta do is pull to keep the attitude ya wanna see out the window. No more, no less.

To quote my instructor during my transition training: "Trim. More trim. Now really give it some trim. Don't forget trim. Stop yanking and trim. Just a little more trim. And trimflare."

congrats! 182's are great planes, but that elevator gets heavy on short final

After hearing people say "nose heavy" about the 'kota all I can say is that there is more than a slight overstatement about claimed control forces in some aircraft.

All ya gotta do is pull to keep the attitude ya wanna see out the window. No more, no less.

I probably should have qualified "on landing", nose heavy to the effect of bent firewall$.... and it only take$ once.

It's just something that can surprise pilots. It's no big deal whhen anticipated and proper control inputs applied early enough.

The 182RG is perhaps one of the most practical airplanes around. Good load capacity, good interior space, and decent speed on respectable fuel burn.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the plane. Congrats! Partnerships are often good, too. Splits up the pain and most planes don't fly enough for one owner.

To quote my instructor during my transition training: "Trim. More trim. Now really give it some trim. Don't forget trim. Stop yanking and trim. Just a little more trim. And trimflare."

:-D :yes:

Sounds just like my check pilot.
He wanted "Trim" to be appended to GUMPS

I was reading a thread about a student who was having a difficult time in the flare and it turns out his instructor wouldn't let him trim on final. Without trimming on final you'll likely bend your firewall really quickly in a 182, 210, 206 etc. Not trimming is only making the work for yourself 10x more difficult than it needs to be. I'm a super tiny woman but I'm not a super large woman either and my CFI said that if I can land my R182 as well as I do there are no excuses for men who can't just because they refuse to trim. Trim really is the not-so-secret secret to flying HP airplanes like the 182.

Cool, you'll like it. I know some folks who bought theirs new, have run a couple of engines to TBO and wouldn't ever buy anything else. Keep the hydraulics up to snuff and the so maligned gear doesn't seem to be an issue.

Beware with some nose-heavy planes, that when trimmed on final, adding full power for a go-around results in a pretty serious nose-up pitching. Just something to be aware of, and determine if it will require more pressure to control than you can exert.

I was reading a thread about a student who was having a difficult time in the flare and it turns out his instructor wouldn't let him trim on final. Without trimming on final you'll likely bend your firewall really quickly in a 182, 210, 206 etc. Not trimming is only making the work for yourself 10x more difficult than it needs to be. I'm a super tiny woman but I'm not a super large woman either and my CFI said that if I can land my R182 as well as I do there are no excuses for men who can't just because they refuse to trim. Trim really is the not-so-secret secret to flying HP airplanes like the 182.

Pitch, Power, Trim at all times.
Unless it's an excercise, no reason not to trim (quickly sometimes) whenever it's desired by the pilot.

Last edited:
Beware with some nose-heavy planes, that when trimmed on final, adding full power for a go-around results in a pretty serious nose-up pitching. Just something to be aware of, and determine if it will require more pressure to control than you can exert.

I noticed that too. Really requires you shove that nose down hard and get the trim out quickly!

Back