I Am A 100% "Permanent & Total" Disabled Veteran...

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

If I was to also apply for and receive Social Security Disability, is that (combined with my VA disability) an automatic disqualifier for a third class medical certificate?

Or, would they continue to evaluate my particular disabilities to formulate their decision?

They will take into account your medical conditions & ability to safely fly a plane. But make sure you disclose all conditions and nature of disabilities, because they do cross-check against the benefit providers.

So, your particular disabilities will be considered.

Suggest you contact Dr. Bruce, who can provide more detail.

Last edited:
If I was to also apply for and receive Social Security Disability, is that (combined with my VA disability) an automatic disqualifier for a third class medical certificate?

Or, would they continue to evaluate my particular disabilities to formulate their decision?

No sir, you can get many disabilities waved for a third class by the SODA process where you demonstrate ability. This may include requirements on having special equipment. That is for physical disabilities, mental disabilities are not as simple but some of the shrinks at the VA will help you with the process if you can get someone like Dr Bruce to lay the process and requirements out for them as he does.

Third class medical falls under 'pursuit of happiness' so is not restricted by receipt of disability payment and may even violate some ADA rules if they did.

They will take into account your medical conditions & ability to safely fly a plane. But make sure you disclose all conditions and nature of disabilities, because they do cross-check against the benefit providers.

So, your particular disabilities will be considered.

Suggest you contact Dr. Bruce, who can provide more detail.

I don't have any mental conditions- PTSD, anxiety, etc.

My conditions are-

- Mild OSA
- Benign prostate hyperplasia
- Migraines (controlled/aborted with FAA approved meds)
- Bi-lateral sciatica
- Bi-lateral carpal tunnel
- Bi-lateral wrist tenosynovitis
- Bi-lateral plantar fasciitis
- Bi-lateral shoulder strain
- Lumbar spine intervertebral disc syndrome
- Cervical spine intervertebral disc syndrome
- Bi-lateral patellofemoral syndrome
- Dry eye syndrome (prescribed GenTeal liquid drops)
- GERD

I might look crippled on paper, but all of the above conditions are managed with FAA approved meds- mostly Motrin. (is GenTeal FAA approved?). I use no assistance while walking.

I'm just curious if demonstrating the ability to fly a plane would potentially put some of you disability benefits at risk, particularly SS. I'm not sure, but just want to get that on the radar for you should it be an issue. Better to know now.

So the American SS system says:
You're broken and can't do for self, so here's some help
If you learn to overcome your obstacles they take the help away
Some have figured this out, thereby learning helplessness

Same with the welfare system.

Okay Rant Off/

So the American SS system says:
You're broken and can't do for self, so here's some help
If you learn to overcome your obstacles they take the help away
Some have figured this out, thereby learning helplessness

Same with the welfare system.

Okay Rant Off/

Oh, I am not saying he shouldn't pursue it, even if it does put his benefits at risk, but it would be nice to know beforehand due to financial obligations, etc.

I am all for overccming obstacles, and providing for oneself, just to be clear.

To the OP. Thanks for your service. You obviously paid a price.

For the time being, I'm not going to pursue SSDI because I want to keep my options on the table to earn more than $1,000 month. That's the max gross I can earn if I'm drawing SSDI. Although I'm not currently employed, I don't like the idea of my income being limited. I'd rather keep the option open to earn more than $1,000 a month than to receive $1,300 in SSDI.

That said, to repeat, this is where I stand with my VA disabilities:

My conditions are-

- Mild OSA
- Bi-lateral sciatica
- GERD

I might look crippled on paper, but all of the above conditions are managed with FAA approved meds- mostly Motrin. (is GenTeal FAA approved?). I use no assistance while walking.

A word of encouragement:

A few years back, I added a European license, issued by the UK Civil Aviation Authority, to my FAA private ticket, so I could fly in Europe. The flight test was done by a British examiner, who rode to the plane in a wheel chair: Years earlier, he had been left disabled in a very serious accident.
I sometimes think of him, wondering if I would have the same will-power and determination to pull my life together after a blow like that.

Last edited:
Not entirely certain how anyone on a thousand or two a month is going to be able to afford flying on their own nickel.

Not entirely certain how anyone on a thousand or two a month is going to be able to afford flying on their own nickel.

Yes, that would be difficult. But, I have both a military and a VA pension. And, that doesn't even include my wife's salary. And, we're debt free. Well, actually, our mortgage will be paid for in 3 years. So, I have sufficient green to pursue my PPL.

Good. Those are the toughest.

My conditions are-

- Mild OSA
- Bi-lateral sciatica
- GERD
None of these alone would seem an unsurmountable obstacle to getting a medical. You may need some paperwork on the control of your migraines, doses etc. Also, they get all wound up about OSA, so you may need some paperwork on that as well (documenting successful treatment etc.)

Other than that it sounds like you are someone who worked hard in his life.

Find an AME who is willing to talk to you before you start filling out any FAA paperwork. Disclose the entire laundry list to him/her and ask him whether there is anything he thinks he has to defer or deny you for. Consider travelling to see an AME who is willing to play ball. If there is something in your list that would truly disqualify you, then dont apply for a medical so you keep the option of getting a light sport license.

I have met a Northwest captain who was on a 100% disability pension from the VA after retiring from flying F16s. His issues were similar to yours, the result of hard work, abusive loads during his military flying career and maybe a pound or three extra around the belly. None of these issues alone was enough to keep him from getting his 1st class medical every 6 months.

Keep an eye on the meds you are taking, dont get hooked on narcs, do whatever it takes to control the OSA. Dig through your medical records so you have documentation of all these things, stick them in a big old folder with tabs for each diagnosis ;) . The FAA has little problems certifying you with 10 diagnoses as long as none of them alone is on their list of no-nos. But forget 1 thing and get found out about later and they'll nail you to the cross for lying to them.

Oh, and you DO have disclose that you receive disability benefits and if you received a medical discharge from the military. They have started to cross-check with disability databases, one case about this actually made it to the US supreme court earlier this year (the airman lost based on a technicality).

Last edited:

You'd be surprised what you can afford PT 103... You can buy a used flying machine ofttimes with spares for $2500. No medical issue either. Even the 2 seat operated LSA, so far I've got no reason to believe he can't safely deal with one.

If someone would come seeking a medical with 150 hrs of safe flying have an improved standing with regards to demonstrated ability?

Last edited:
Good. Those are the toughest.

None of these alone would seem an unsurmountable obstacle to getting a medical. You may need some paperwork on the control of your migraines, doses etc. Also, they get all wound up about OSA, so you may need some paperwork on that as well (documenting successful treatment etc.)

Other than that it sounds like you are someone who worked hard in his life.

Find an AME who is willing to talk to you before you start filling out any FAA paperwork. Disclose the entire laundry list to him/her and ask him whether there is anything he thinks he has to defer or deny you for. Consider travelling to see an AME who is willing to play ball. If there is something in your list that would truly disqualify you, then dont apply for a medical so you keep the option of getting a light sport license.

I have met a Northwest captain who was on a 100% disability pension from the VA after retiring from flying F16s. His issues were similar to yours, the result of hard work, abusive loads during his military flying career and maybe a pound or three extra around the belly. None of these issues alone was enough to keep him from getting his 1st class medical every 6 months.

Keep an eye on the meds you are taking, dont get hooked on narcs, do whatever it takes to control the OSA. Dig through your medical records so you have documentation of all these things, stick them in a big old folder with tabs for each diagnosis ;) . The FAA has little problems certifying you with 10 diagnoses as long as none of them alone is on their list of no-nos. But forget 1 thing and get found out about later and they'll nail you to the cross for lying to them.

Oh, and you DO have disclose that you receive disability benefits and if you received a medical discharge from the military. They have started to cross-check with disability databases, one case about this actually made it to the US supreme court earlier this year (the airman lost based on a technicality).

That is some really good advice. I've already disclosed my concerns to a local AME through email, but I've yet to hear from him. If I do not hear from him soon, I will assume my email entered his spam and it got deleted. I will then pay him a visit face-to-face. I've already utilized that medical pre-screen on AOPA's website. All of my meds are FAA approved. I'm aware of the FAA requirements for OSA and working toward fulfilling them.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.

That is some really good advice. I've already disclosed my concerns to a local AME through email, but I've yet to hear from him. If I do not hear from him soon, I will assume my email entered his spam and it got deleted. I will then pay him a visit face-to-face.

Remember, anything you discuss with a physician(lawyer/counselor/priest) face to face in person is to some extent priviledged information. Anything you discuss in front of someone else or exchange via email is far less protected(able).

I've already utilized that medical pre-screen on AOPA's website. All of my meds are FAA approved.
Just make sure you dont do the online FAA form until you have had a chance to discuss your issues with the AME off the record.

I'm aware of the FAA requirements for OSA and working toward fulfilling them.

Use that mask, loose that weight. Passing the medical is only 1/4 the bonus, not dying prematurely is why getting it treated is so important.

OSA is a 'special issuance' (SI). I dont know whether it is one the AME can do right in his office or whether it has to be sent in to Oklahoma city. If you do a search here, you will find information on what is required for the SI.

Last edited:

My conditions are-

- Mild OSA
- Bi-lateral sciatica
- GERD

Wait for Bruce Chien to chip in. He really is one of the national experts on this field. He usually cruises through here after he's done for the day, even if that's really late.

Wonderful. I can barely afford to fly but now I can rest easy knowing my tax money is paying some guy to fly all he wants with nothing more difficult to treat than with Motrin.
Lovely.
(also a veteran with at least half that list of problems plus a few others, so flame on some other angle...)

Last edited:
Wonderful. I can barely afford to fly but now I can rest easy knowing my tax money is paying some guy to fly all he wants with nothing more difficult to treat than with Motrin.
Lovely.
(also a veteran with at least half that list of problems plus a few others, so flame on some other angle...)

No flame from me. As a Nam-era vet, seeing what my Army brothers went through, I'm a little disturbed too.

Lovely.

It's my tax money too, "Goofy".

Listen, don't judge me just because you "can barely afford to fly". I came here hoping to receive answers, not your ****y, judgemental attitude.

And look on the bright side, "Goofy"... I'm not seeking SSDI- which I have been pre-qualified to receive..

Why would you beat up on this guy for taking advantage of an ethical, moral and legal opportunity thats afforded to him. Dont like it, work towards getting the laws changed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

My conditions are-

- Mild OSA
- Bi-lateral sciatica
- GERD

With all due respect, I have most if not all of those and still work 15 hours a day. :dunno:

Last edited:
Unreg: no specifics, as you really do need doc-patient shielding for this conversation- your disability income stream can be "on paper put at risk", as all the "we debunk disability" claim law firms index the federal airman registry. I do look after several guys in this situation, one is a NYC Policeman who can not pass the 110% effort for 5 minutes job description for the force. Answering that disability firm's subpoenas made it very clear that we had to document that his level of disability made him inappropriate to deploy on the street (he might lose a scuffle over the service weapon), and as his policies were written specifically with realtion to his ability to perform on the NYPD (not "police work", not "alternate call center work" etc), I was willing to take this on. The examiners in OKC understood the difference between normal egress/entrance and emergency egress, vs. the 110% required effort by the LEO to survive on the street.

Another one is now a real estate agent. He's 30. At age 21 he was a survivor in a GA accident and lost most of the use of one hand, (piezo prosthesis on the other) and passed his operational equivalency checkride. He was not challenged by his disability carrier as it's tough to contest the loss of a hand and most of the forearm. Juries look at that and just go "wow". He won his CFI certificates back.

So, before tackling this, I would be very interested to see the "re-evaluation" clauses in your mil vs. VA disabilities. Usually they revaluate you every five years. I am highly dubious that your Mil. diability is occupation specific.

None of the items you list are show stoppers if you're not on the big-time meds. an applicant in your position needs a movie to be submitted by the AME on CD, needs dcoumentation by MRI of all the conditions; an operational assessment (usually by a physiatris who does DMV work).

Your sleep Apnea needs the initial sleep study, the titration studya, and a compliance printout showing >75% of nights used 6 hrs or more (if your machine doesn't have the "storage chip" you'll have to replace it) and a current letter from the sleep doc noting 4 items specifically (appears well rested, complaint with use, no tendancy to fall alseep beyond normal, and no exam c/w Rt. heart failure).

My email from this site works, but I would say you should be adverse to disclose much more unless you are in a "protected" situation.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I have most if not all oof ththose and still work 15 hours a day. :dunno:

Wow, if there are fellow pilots on here who are going to beat me up for retiring from the military then I'm in the wrong club...

Thank you, Bruce. And thank you to those who kindly took the time to offer their advice.

///OUT///

Wow, if there are fellow pilots on here who are going to beat me up for retiring from the military then I'm in the wrong club...

That's a decision you have to make. You're not the only veteran here and you're not the only one that has to take a few Motrin to kill the pain. The difference is that the government is supporting you, and in many of our cases, we are supporting the government *and* a few employees. Do you think we're being unfair if we are just a little resentful of your situation?

That's a decision you have to make. You're not the only veteran here and you're not the only one that has to take a few Motrin to kill the pain. The difference is that the government is supporting you, and in many of our cases, we are supporting the government *and* a few employees. Do you think we're being unfair if we are just a little resentful of your situation?

He is 100% disabled, being supported by my tax $$$$, and he wants to fly an airplane for recreation ( at tax payer expense) while trying to collect SSI. :rofl: :no:

What ever happened to the term moocher or gold bricker? :dunno:

Last edited:
Ok, knock it off. He came here looking for assistance, not a pile o' crap. You wanna take on the government benefit programs, go over to spin zone. In this part of POA, we keep it civul and helpful.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back