I ain't covered - life insurance

Irish_Armada

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Irish Armada
Probably an old concept to many of you, but just discovered that my work's life insurance policy does not cover any death via private aviation. I was actually a little surprised by some of the exclusions listed (see below). I'm looking into getting on board with AOPA's group plan since my current insurance doesn't support my apparently radical flying habits. I like how general aviation is apparently at the same level as getting killed by Soviet invaders a la "Red Dawn".

LIMITATIONS. Benefits are not payable for any loss to which a contributing cause is:
(1) intentional self-inflicted injury or self-destruction;
(2) disease, bodily or mental infirmity, or medical or surgical treatment of these;
(3) participation in a riot;
(4) duty as a member of any military, naval or air force;
(5) war or any act of war, declared or undeclared;
(6) participation in the commission of a felony;
(7) voluntary use of drugs; except when prescribed by a Physician;
(8) voluntary inhalation of gas, including carbon monoxide;
(9) travel or flight in any aircraft, including balloons and gliders; except as a fare paying passenger
on a regularly scheduled flight; or
(10) driving a vehicle while intoxicated.

Life insurance is a cheap benefit that employers can provide. I imagine they get the most limited inexpensive policy they can. You would serve your family well to purchase your own policy outside of work that includes GA. I just got one and the agent was very knowlegable and worked hard to get me a good rate that that did not exclude GA. Those policies are out there you just need a good agent to dig one up.

I have a permanent Life insurance policy from the company I retired from. In the exclusions section It does have several items such as; suicide, war, etc., but nothing about flying my own aircraft.

Most individual policies include similar exclusions as well. Waivers are available based on experience, ratings, etc.

Probably an old concept to many of you, but just discovered that my work's life insurance policy does not cover any death via private aviation. I was actually a little surprised by some of the exclusions listed (see below). I'm looking into getting on board with AOPA's group plan since my current insurance doesn't support my apparently radical flying habits. I like how general aviation is apparently at the same level as getting killed by Soviet invaders a la "Red Dawn".

LIMITATIONS. Benefits are not payable for any loss to which a contributing cause is:
(2) disease, bodily or mental infirmity, or medical or surgical treatment of these;
(9) travel or flight in any aircraft, including balloons and gliders; except as a fare paying passenger

Term life with Primerica Life. No aviation restrictions. My rates will actually decrease after I have 250 hours. I'm just a student.

My life insurance will pay out in full if I'm a passenger in a GA aircraft, but not if I'm flying it. Big WTF on that...guess I'd better start flying from the right seat.

:rolleyes2:

Both my ROP and my term policies cover my flying time. They have both advised me that renewal will be expensive.

Kind of takes the fun out of life doesn't it? :D

Good to know... If it's the end, then jump out and I am covered.

And hope the blow-up doll in the left survives the fire.

My life insurance will pay out in full if I'm a passenger in a GA aircraft, but not if I'm flying it. Big WTF on that...guess I'd better start flying from the right seat.

:rolleyes2:

My employer provided insurance covers my spouse while she flies in a GA aircraft UNLESS I am a crewmember. I am not covered at all unless I am a fare-paying passenger.

Go figure.

What troubles me is: "2) disease, bodily or mental infirmity, or medical or surgical treatment of these". If I get sick and die I'm not covered? Why would I have insurance?

John

Number 2 is the one that concerns me. Cancer and heart attacks read as no pay to me.

Good grief guys, #2 kicks in only if the problems listed in #2 are caused by #'s 3-10.

Edit: You may be right. It just appeared to me that if the reasons in 3-10 were the cause of the things in #2 it would not be covered. On re reading it again perhaps you are correct.:dunno:

Last edited:

This sounds like an "accidental death" insurance policy only, with a GA exclusion. Probably costs your employer a couple bucks per month per employee.

What troubles me is: "2) disease, bodily or mental infirmity, or medical or surgical treatment of these". If I get sick and die I'm not covered? Why would I have insurance?

John

Exactly. That policy is worthless.

To get back to the OP's question. I have a life policy through AOPA's plan. It was cheap, cheap cheap, compared to all other policies I looked at that did not have pilot exclusions. I asked about experimentals, and they said no problem, after the first year of coverage :dunno:.
Got it when I was about age 50 (?) and 500K was ~~$120/month. The best I could come up with other than that was about $88/10K/month. :yikes:

As others have said, it sure looks like an accidental death policy to me. Sort of like those old things they sold out of machines in airline terminals back when some thought you were about to board a very risky thing called an airliner. Or the one AMEX always tries to stick on the airline Tix I charge. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Not sure if they still issue new policies, but Northwestern Mutual issued me a term policy without an aviation exclusion, for a better rate that I could get either through AOPA or PICLife.

Jeff

My companies life policy covers 1 yrs salary. And yes, personal flying is an exclusion.
I have more than enough personal insurance for what is needed that does not exclude personal flying.

When I worked for Cal Dive they had a problem getting me life insurance through who the company used so the benefits gal did some checking around and found a better policy at lower rates that had no such problems with pilots. She switched the whole company over.

Most company policies cover people for unexpected accidental death. Car wrecks and the like, and give the surviving spouse enough money to bury you and maybe pay the bills for three-six months if they stop working when you die.

You really have to go to Term policies beyond that if you're attempting to provide for a spouse for a while after death or a kid to go to school.

And then hunt for ones with no aviation exclusions unless your spouse says they're okay with not getting paid of you ball up an airplane.

It's about goals. Is it just to cover burying you and moving expenses to the slums for your spouse and kids, or are they going to be able to live on it for X number of years? That's the decision. After THAT decision is made, then quotes.

I carry different policies. Karen knows she gets more money if I drive off a cliff than if I crash the airplane into one. :) If she can make it look like an accident, shoving me down the stairs... heh.... far better than her sabotaging the airplane. :)

And then hunt for ones with no aviation exclusions unless your spouse says they're okay with not getting paid of you ball up an airplane.

And if your spouse flies with you and you rely on their income as well, you should consider that their policy also should not have an aviation exclusion.

And if your spouse flies with you and you rely on their income as well, you should consider that their policy also should not have an aviation exclusion.

Yep, not much good throwing her out of the plane uninsured.

So if a guy gets wiped out riding his Harley to Sturgis do they not pay based on number 2 "mental infirmity" or number 3 "participation in a riot"? I'd say that policy issuer is pretty intent on not ever paying. :D

Back