I accidentally followed ATC's instructions

29246FEF-D7E7-43E3-9399-DC25A26C2A4D.jpeg

I swear people on here at times are just toooo much.

“I went into the restroom once and someone put the toilet paper roll in feeding out from the back instead of the top” Better file a NASA report on that just to be safe!

Might be a good way to dump an A-hole CFI. Clip a Bravo, then go wide-eyed and proclaim your CFI never taught you about the rules.

You understand correctly. I had an open VFR flight plan w/ SE-SAR, but being my first real solo cross-country, I decided I wanted flight following as well. So I hit up the approach controller with a vfr flight following request, got assigned a couple of different squawk codes for coordination with center. Then a different controller on freq asked me for my final cruise altitude. I provided it and she cleared me into the bravo and gave me climb instructions and a vector. I accepted the clearance when I should have replied "Unable" and explained that I was a student w/o endorsement for the Class B and needed to stay clear of the Bravo. However, I usually fly out of a Class D with radar coverage and am relatively used to traffic advisories and basically doing whatever ATC says as long as I don't see anything outside or on ADS-B that would make me worry. After a few minutes in the Bravo on assigned heading, I was cleared on course and within another minute or so was under the outer ring of the Bravo again and handed off to Center for continued flight following.

After I got home, I checked the FAR to validate that I screwed up--I couldn't recall with certainty if it was landing at a Class B airport or entering Class B airspace entirely that needed an endorsement. I filed an ASRS report more as a CYA than anything else, as safety was never really at issue.

The intention behind the rule is to make sure that pilots without proper training don't end up screwing up the airspace for everyone. By your description, you handled the ATC communication just like any other well-trained pilot would have. I've flown with even instrument rated pilots who don't know how to talk to ATC. This is a non-issue. If it makes you feel better, just file an ASRS and forget about it.

I swear people on here at times are just toooo much.

“I went into the restroom once and someone put the toilet paper roll in feeding out from the back instead of the top” Better file a NASA report on that just to be safe!

While you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, the purpose of ASRS is NOT to protect the pilot, that is just a side benefit. From: https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/summary.html

ASRS data are used to:

• Identify deficiencies and discrepancies in the National Aviation System (NAS) so that these can be remedied by appropriate authorities.
  • Support policy formulation and planning for, and improvements to, the NAS.
  • Strengthen the foundation of aviation human factors safety research. This is particularly important since it is generally conceded that over two-thirds of all aviation accidents and incidents have their roots in human performance errors.

While you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, the purpose of ASRS is NOT to protect the pilot, that is just a side benefit. From: https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/summary.html

ASRS data are used to:

• Identify deficiencies and discrepancies in the National Aviation System (NAS) so that these can be remedied by appropriate authorities.
  • Support policy formulation and planning for, and improvements to, the NAS.
  • Strengthen the foundation of aviation human factors safety research. This is particularly important since it is generally conceded that over two-thirds of all aviation accidents and incidents have their roots in human performance errors.

It is amazing though how many times the first response in these forum is to fill out a ASRS, even when things have nothing to do with what the ASRS covers. It is supposed to be a learning tool, but many people right away want to fill it out because they want protection.

It is amazing though how many times the first response in these forum is to fill out a ASRS, even when things have nothing to do with what the ASRS covers. It is supposed to be a learning tool, but many people right away want to fill it out because they want protection.
The protection was provided in order to encourage people to file reports.

Last edited:
The protection was provided in order encourage people to file reports.

Yeah, I don't think we can file too many reports. In this particular case there was no operational error. I think ASRA reporting is full of minor regulatory errors which did not impact operation. More info has got to be better I would think.

As a student, I was also cleared into Bravo once, without even asking. But fortunately I knew to avoid it and go the long way around.

Yeah, I don't think we can file too many reports. In this particular case there was no operational error. I think ASRA reporting is full of minor regulatory errors which did not impact operation. More info has got to be better I would think.

I'm assuming that the FAA thought there was a safety reason for requiring student pilots to have a class B endorsement in order to enter that airspace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back