Hypoxia & SD Training

StanN45

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
StanN45
IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0987.JPG IMG_0979.JPG I had the opportunity today to attend a hypoxia and spatial disorientation training session at the FAA's Civil Aeronautical Medical Institute. The first half of the session consisted of classroom time reviewing the aeromedical factors on spatial disorientation. Mingled in to that, we each got to go into the simulator to induce and experience different disorienting situations.

Lunch break was enjoyable at the dining hall on the FAA campus

The second half of the session consisted of the classroom time discussing the different types of hypoxia, causes, affects and remedies. Then on to the altitude chamber! What a blast! 8000' to 18000' in 5 seconds with rapid decompression. WOW! Then on to 25k for the hypoxia experience. Everybody has different signs of on set, and it doesn't take long. My first sensation was that of a very warm feeling running down my body, then the common tingling. I went about 4 minutes before going back on oxygen.

The staff is made up, mostly, of retired military with some of the best experience and training in the world. They are able to convey that knowledge in a very common sense way that is easily understood. If you ever have the opportunity, you won't be disappointed.

All in all, a very informative day. I am glad to have been able to have this experience. You never know, it may save a life some day.

Glad you got this chance. I did more than a couple chamber rides in my AF career. After the first one, the refresher academics and 'night' rides did the most reinforcement.

Been wanting to take this training for a while. It requires me to take vacation, though, and the scheduling is not too easy so we'll see whether I can in soon.
Thanks for sharing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back