Hypoxia Event

Great article. Thanks, Steve! His wanting to push on to his original destination after he got down seems clearly to be poor decision making to me, probably residual from the hypoxia. It's very lucky that his daughter wasn't affected as quickly! There are real dangers to flying at FL230, even in a Cessna 400. I presume that they don't have O2 masks available, as a part 121 flight would require?

Great article. Thanks, Steve! His wanting to push on to his original destination after he got down seems clearly to be poor decision making to me, probably residual from the hypoxia. It's very lucky that his daughter wasn't affected as quickly! There are real dangers to flying at FL230, even in a Cessna 400. I presume that they don't have O2 masks available, as a part 121 flight would require?

1) I imagine that the daughter's relative youth (don't know her age, but I'm guessing at least 20yrs younger than dad) probably helped stave off hypoxia longer. (Not knowing anything about relative physical condition or the like).

2) Above 18k, if I'm not mistaken, even part 91 flyers must use masks instead of cannulas. I know a lot of people ignore that. It's spelled out right on my cannula - not for use above 18k. I have absolutely no idea if the guy was masked or cannula-ed, but that could have been a factor.

2) Above 18k, if I'm not mistaken, even part 91 flyers must use masks instead of cannulas. I know a lot of people ignore that. It's spelled out right on my cannula - not for use above 18k. I have absolutely no idea if the guy was masked or cannula-ed, but that could have been a factor.
For some reason, I was thinking that the 400 was pressurized, but you're right, it isn't. So yes, they certainly should have been on masks above 18K, not cannulas.

But, had my initial misperception been correct and they had been in a pressurized aircraft, say a King Air, would masks have to be available in part 91?

Above 18k, if I'm not mistaken, even part 91 flyers must use masks instead of cannulas.
A mask (rather than a cannula) is mandatory above 18,000 feet (FAR 23.1447). However, this regulation starts with the words "If oxygen dispensing units are installed" which IMHO means it was written to cover installed systems, whose operating limitations are in the Aircraft Flight Manual anyway.

Portable systems appear to be unregulated in this respect, as is the vast majority of "portable" aviation equipment applicable to Part 91 (private flight) operations.

I have tested cannulas to 20,000 feet (with a safety pilot etc) and they worked fine, delivering a ~ 95% oxygen level , but the level achieved is very dependent on one's breathing pattern and this would not be recommended for children and other potentially "not responsible" passengers.

IMHO a mask is desirable above 18k but not because a cannula somehow stops working.

Here's an article written by a pilot who IMHO was suffering hypoxia. Originally this was posted on the Socata user group, a few years ago, but quickly ended up all over the internet. I recall reading some discussions about it and he did not agree about hypoxia.

[URL="http://www.bluerobin.flyer.co.uk/trinidad_icing.rtf"]www.bluerobin.flyer.co.uk/trinidad_icing.rtf
[/URL]

For some reason, I was thinking that the 400 was pressurized, but you're right, it isn't. So yes, they certainly should have been on masks above 18K, not cannulas.

But, had my initial misperception been correct and they had been in a pressurized aircraft, say a King Air, would masks have to be available in part 91?
Yes. It's part of operating a pressurized airplane.

Here's an article written by a pilot who IMHO was suffering hypoxia. Originally this was posted on the Socata user group, a few years ago, but quickly ended up all over the internet. I recall reading some discussions about it and he did not agree about hypoxia.

[URL="http://www.bluerobin.flyer.co.uk/trinidad_icing.rtf"]www.bluerobin.flyer.co.uk/trinidad_icing.rtf
[/URL]

I think his problems started on the ground way before hypoxia could have set in.

Plan A was to fly direct, to the absolute limits of the airplanes range to a destination with limited alternates, over significant mountain ranges at altitudes near the limits of the airplanes capability, in bad weather, near freezing, "VFR", relying solely a hand held GPS?????? :loco:

I also assume that the decision to fly at 13,500 to 16,000 without O2 was made on the ground.

Makes you want to take out a life insurance policy on this guy.

Back