Hypothetically How Much More Money to...

YKA

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
YKA
How much more money to own and operate a Vision Jet versus SR22, based on the same distances flown per year, not hours because the vision is a lot quicker. So for discussion sake, lets say an average of 3000 nm per month flown, in 5 trips. No I am not buying a Vision, nor do I have that sort of money. But it sure looks cool in the videos I watched. Not including the initial purchase price either, let pretend that they were free to receive, just operating costs? No I have never flown a jet if anyone is wondering.

About $850 /hr (all in expenses other than cost of capital - so fuel, Mx, hangar, insurance, subscriptions, etc) vs. about $300 for an SR22. But you go 50% faster. So roughly twice the cost per mile.

Last edited:
And you look WAY cooler in the jet and don't have to worry when 100LL is eliminated.

Reactions: YKA
And you look WAY cooler in the jet...

I will politely dispute this. :D

In the pic below I had just finished tying down my white & blue Dawg at KBIL when a couple of young pilots taxied up behind me in the Cirrus jet. I strolled over to oogle their airplane and leave some envy drool in strategic locations on the nice paintwork. As soon as they got out of the jet they asked me if that was my plane as they made a beeline to the Husky, politely answering my questions about the jet, all the while inspecting and interjecting with questions about flying the taildragger in the Montana back country.
Husky-Cirrus Jet (2).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice generational photo. This is a favorite of mine as well:
DP9VQ5Hr47o9Lhfw_-GeGsD7DqdNFo6-F9Y9tPF5QSIuIMyy52gUtKSFzVyKccqwpaMa0FO8_9GhNTJrC9V74H7gceVJEoubaE6Aa7jyghs2tixby5lW2flDOxNV0RYl8VKWziKSn4WptdtFGxpOx890k14mKUrxSyPpybgl4bHjMeNPywTFYk6bIJLJP-s3iCjahcpGYMGxryieQQz5OOPnynoLkMUDJjOi8c73G20iDfDEMkGXKHTFKEJNgYl2KwQKyZG1wWlEuw2lXFpVi19xHhmQk84qbGhAOdOzrzJTjVjrrDLN4z2U62APK8wK-HOYzZv7eRCzISwQ4XWlZQJ8sA_Ga5TW73GpCSic8yzu4BQ7SspZt03mqowzzFFod6jdSLYflCwa4AXJdGUdRDR8hvVfOrxrsgwmCsTtNqDm6wWH05hKDUPepXZ2Vrbw31w6P_v_KNJ2lOVjNlyFJ4gXgKDh_QkUndtwtFxYTM4UZuEXbnUGXFE-mR-4PU20TSvcqih0JDJwYnjcjzwf_7ode7J8Gym7UwwunKwz2kfyx95cHZuCQsGILvZpXBMRZXB1O1WytPQYLRriYeMThn6-R3MMF8W74_ph8i89V5VjeplXyeGXQPPXD9-XuNWsFJDK0wq8HIVPn5ErN-nafe8ZuEfVVZC5p6PX7VAIuKR9_lR59rcu7Bdwd7FYUA=w1670-h940-no

Very nice generational photo. This is a favorite of mine as well:

Love it!
But as an airplane owner and pilot the horizontally opposed, air-cooled one would be the preferred choice for airport commuter. :D

Love it!
But as an airplane owner and pilot the horizontally opposed, air-cooled one would be the preferred choice for airport commuter. :D

A bug is likely the slowest motorized automobile way to get to the airport. I have no idea why they are so expensive these days. The little death trap is still a little death trap.

A bug is likely the slowest motorized automobile way to get to the airport. I have no idea why they are so expensive these days. The little death trap is still a little death trap.

If I worried about "deathtraps" I probably won't fly decades old piston engine airplanes. :p:D

But you are correct, no idea why they are so expensive. Nostalgia? Sort of like 1960s pony cars? My first car was a 1500cc 1968 Beetle Deluxe that I bought for $750 in 1973. Drove it 50,000 miles and sold it for $700.

I am very curious, so thanks for the answer. If I win a huge lottery, say $800,000,000 i want to build my own paved 7,000' airstrip in the backyard, and a 250' x 250' hanger, then put in it a Husky on amphibs, Extra 330 LT, Vision jet, and Gulfstream G700, and Viking 400 on amphibs. This will never happen I know, but we all have dreams. But a small lottery win, say $8,000,000 would let me buy a Vision, C206 on amphibs, and and extra 330LT, build a 4,000' strip, and 80'x80' hanger.

I will politely dispute this. :D

In the pic below I had just finished tying down my white & blue Dawg at KBIL when a couple of young pilots taxied up behind me in the Cirrus jet. I strolled over to oogle their airplane and leave some envy drool in strategic locations on the nice paintwork. As soon as they got out of the plane they asked me if that was my plane as they made a beeline to the Husky, politely answering my questions about the jet, all the while inspecting and and interjecting with questions about flying the taildragger in the Montana back country.
View attachment 93281

ALL planes are cool, so anyone who flies anything already has my full attention. Don't care if its a 1950 Tri pacer, that is still an awesome plane. I really want a ride in a DC 3, and a Harvard. A guy who I met a few years ago has promised me a ride in his Helio Courier this summer, that already has me excited.

Love it!

Planes-wise, I prefer the faster ones but for cars, I'm with you 100%! I tend to favor the squashed beetle version (911) but I'd still gladly take the VW over the golf kart!

Back