Hypothetical insurance quotes?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Is there such a thing as a website where I can plug in basic information on my hours and an aircraft type I'm interested in purchasing just to get a general idea of the insurance cost without actually having to generate a formal quote?

I realize I can probably call an agent up but I want to play around with different possibilities on my own.

Not that I've seen.

There's unconfirmed reports around the Net that since there's so few actual underwriters, when you're getting quotes the quoting person puts a tail number in, so you can't really "shop" that quote around... because while you may be being quoted through "AOPA" and "someplace else", both may be utilizing the same actual underwriter behind the scenes and the underwriter wants to make things "fair" for the front end...

However stupid that might seem.

Some have recommended just using a fake N-number of the same type aircraft, if shopping. YMMV.

This would be a great project for someone who is good with websites; owners/pilots could anonymously input their experience/age/time in type/premium/coverage etc etc.
We could rapidly get a database that might help people with the OPs question.
Perfect for computers; just a bunch of numbers. I think curves could cutoff outlier values for people putting in bogus info.

Never heard of any. The insurance companies keep their info close to the vest. If you use an agent they will give you one or two quotes,and then no one else will quote that aircraft. You can go direct to Avemco.

You can easily talk to an agent and ask for quotes based on different numbers. Pilot hours, aircraft values, time in type, etc. There’s no big deal in asking questions so you can establish goals. Insurance is just a product. Agents are salesmen. Some are better than others. Call around and ask questions.

Check the insurance page on AOPA. There was one there at one time.

Back