Hypothetical - Freeway Landing

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
Your airplane has a problem. Engine failure, out of gas, pilot has to pee, whatever.

You land on the freeway. No damage, nobody hurt, etc. You're close enough to an exit to roll up the ramp and push the plane into a parking lot. Inevitably, a news chopper shows up and there's a short term impact on traffic.

The local gendarme arrive. Someone calls the FAA. What are your restrictions on moving the airplane? I.E. what are you required to do or not do from a legal perspective? Can "the man" require you or the airplane to stay on scene, or are you and the airplane free to go?

I have seen a news clip where someone had a fuel issue, so he landed on a street I think, not a freeway, then his fuel problem was fixed by pouring fuel in the tank and then he took off

Your airplane has a problem. Engine failure, out of gas, pilot has to pee, whatever.

You land on the freeway. No damage, nobody hurt, etc. You're close enough to an exit to roll up the ramp and push the plane into a parking lot. Inevitably, a news chopper shows up and there's a short term impact on traffic.

The local gendarme arrive. Someone calls the FAA. What are your restrictions on moving the airplane? I.E. what are you required to do or not do from a legal perspective? Can "the man" require you or the airplane to stay on scene, or are you and the airplane free to go?
you mean like this guy? https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ding-and-road-departure-on-i-35-in-mn.116668/ hey! are you this guy? :rolleyes:

Guy landed a Cub on I-10 here about 8 years ago, carb ice. They checked things over for an hour or two and it warmed up outside, he flew off the highway and back to the airport no worries.

I have seen a news clip where someone had a fuel issue, so he landed on a street I think, not a freeway, then his fuel problem was fixed by pouring fuel in the tank and then he took off

Likely the least expensive solution to a problem he ever had with that plane. ;)

Back