Hypothetical flight over Detroit

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
At some point while I'm in Michigan, I'd love to do a flight down (or up) the Detroit River and over Detroit. Has anyone here done this before? Any advice? We'd be coming in from the West and making a big 180 (and maybe making a stop at ONZ) before departing back to the West.

A couple things I'm curious about in particular--the proximity of Canada (bring passports just in case? Would they mind if I poke their airspace with a wing?), getting through DET's Class D (are they accommodating to people going on sightseeing adventures?), and getting flight following for the trip down the river.

But really, any helpful hints and/or suggestions at all would be great.

Armor plating and/or Kevlar. When you pass over the Joe Luis Arena, wear nose plugs.

I landed at Grosse Ile and headed up the river from there. I think I turned at the Delta or asked for a transition and they were accommodating. I then turned back to Ann Arbor.

No big deal.

You should be talking and squawking if you cross the line.

There is enough room to get through on the US side and outside DET class D and under the B as long as there isn't a football or baseball game. (not a problem this time of year) Fly right over the middle of Belle Isle. DET is usually not very busy.

The lakes are frozen, don't know about the river - there could still be open water (The Trenton Channel east of ONZ is mostly open).

Class B is expanding in April.

Dunno about flight following - I avoid talking to the FAA.

Looking north from Grosse Ile a few years ago
SAM_0605.JPG

Watch Escape From NY for post forced landing survival tips.

Do it all the time. You can do what you want and stay out of the class B. Don't plan on getting a clearance into the class B. They will do flight following if they aren't too busy.

Do NOT cross into Canada unless you have filed a flight plan and are talking to ATC and have a transponder code (even though you are not in class B ). I cross Canada going to Ohio all the time. That is what you will do if you want to visit any of the islands in a Lake Erie. If you don't follow the rules, there will be a Blackhawk helicopter in your future when you come back to the US side.

You will have to be down below 2500 going up the river for a while, but you can go up to 2900 over Detroit. Talk to DET tower, they are very friendly.

There are some tall antennas just south of KVLL, so be careful in that area.

You should hurry, Changes to the Class B airspace in Detroit take effect April 3, 2014. From what I have seen, doing this in the future will be nearly impossible.

Do it all the time. You can do what you want and stay out of the class B. Don't plan on getting a clearance into the class B. They will do flight following if they aren't too busy.
You can't PLAN on getting a Class B clearance in the DTW Bravo, but getting one isn't by any stretch a rare event. I wouldn't hesitate to ask them -- Detroit is NOT Chicago, they usually try to be accommodating.

You should hurry, Changes to the Class B airspace in Detroit take effect April 3, 2014. From what I have seen, doing this in the future will be nearly impossible.
Doesn't look impossible to me.

Attachments

• Detroit_Bravo_Change.jpg
    Detroit_Bravo_Change.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds pretty straightforward. I probably won't get around to it for a while, but you never know. Hopefully soon! :)

Armor plating and/or Kevlar. [...]

+1

I would also highly recommend to have something like this installed in the door:
320px-USMC_GAU-17.jpg
:yes: :wink2:

Seriously, flying the Detroit River is pretty straightforward and fun.
I however prefer to use flight following, because of the close proximity to the Canadian border, the Young (DET) class D airspace extending over the river, a possible stadium TFR and because I consider flight following good practice anyway.

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited:
One of Mrs. Steingar's friends just moved to Detroit. It seems the low real estate prices are quite appealing to craftspersons and those starting cottage industries, and is leading to a small renaissance of sorts.

One of Mrs. Steingar's friends just moved to Detroit. It seems the low real estate prices are quite appealing to craftspersons and those starting cottage industries, and is leading to a small renaissance of sorts.

Saying this in all seriousness and without malice: to find gentrification, follow the gays and artists.

I'd be seriously interested in knowing if this is universally true; what other factors result in gentrification; and if a timeline can be applied to the evolution.

Hell. Our governor wants to pay people to move into Detroit. The smart ones left long ago.

I'm interested in doing this same flight...How would you request flight following for this? For example, if I was approaching from the west and intended to go to Grosse Isle and then north up the river to about DET and then back west would I just tell them that?

I'm interested in doing this same flight...How would you request flight following for this? For example, if I was approaching from the west and intended to go to Grosse Isle and then north up the river to about DET and then back west would I just tell them that?
Just let them know what you want to do, they'll tell you what they can give you. If they can't clear you into the Bravo, you'll have to stay out of the surface area -- I'd stay outside the 2500 foot shelf area too, but that's me. Fly to the CRL VORTAC, find an outbound course that keeps you outside the low shelf until the shore, then direct to ONZ. Flight following up the river to DET is easy, I've done it many times. Great view of the skyline too.

What are you flying out of Jackson? That's where I live.

Hey everyone! Finally got around to doing this flight and had a blast, so this is no longer a "hypothetical" flight over Detroit. Figured I'd update with my experience. I actually did this twice in one day with two sets of passengers I've been meaning to take up, and it was a really easy and very pretty and interesting flight for both me and the passengers.

Departed out of ARB late afternoon on what might have been the bumpiest day I've ever flown in. Took off to the Northeast and got an early frequency change to Detroit on 118.95, where I asked for flight following for a "river flight," which they definitely understood. Flew a semicircle (ish) around the Class B at 2300 ft to a few miles south of the Ambassador Bridge, at which point I turned north to go up the river. Before that, though, I wanted to get out of the bumps on the way back so I asked if we could go over top of Metro on the way back, which I was told I could expect. So once we passed Detroit, at the southern tip of Belle Isle, we did an almost u-turn and climbed to 4500 ft. We got vectored over Canada en route, which was pretty cool. AT&T sent me a text saying "Welcome abroad!" that I saw when I landed. Flew over top of Metro at 4500, got a cool view of landing and departing traffic, headed back to Ann Arbor. All the controllers were very accommodating, and everything went smoothly. Except the flying...man it was bumpy.

On the second time around, we left just before sunset, did the same flight initially, though much less bumpy. When we called up Detroit with our plans to overfly Metro on the way back again, she said, "You may not have to climb, they're just ending a push right now, lemmie check with Tower." So my ears perk up and I'm thinking, "Touch and go???" so I ask, and she comes back with "You wanna do this at METRO??" In my best sheepish voice I said, "Yeah, you said they were ending a push, figured it was worth a shot. No big deal if we can't." But they were able to do it, so we followed the river south a little farther, then turned in towards Metro. Tower told us to turn a two mile downwind and follow the Embraer 145 on final. Once we turned and had the Embraer in sight, he told us "Skyhawk 77S, cleared to land 3R, number two behind the Embraer, CAUTION. WAKE. TURBULENCE." So we did a touch and go (cautioning wake turbulence), putting on a show for the pilots and passengers on the left side of the Embraer. The flight back from DTW was pretty uneventful.

Moral of the story is that controllers can be very accommodating if you ask nicely and if you're crisp and professional on the radios. As it turns out, the day before, I had taken a tour of the Detroit TRACON and the tower, so I was able to talk to controllers firsthand, who said that you should always ask for a Class B clearance, because they're always willing to give them out as long as you're not in the arrival or departure corridor. Also, they keep a corridor over Metro free at all times for east/west transiting aircraft, at 4500 and 5500 I think.

So this:

You can't PLAN on getting a Class B clearance in the DTW Bravo, but getting one isn't by any stretch a rare event. I wouldn't hesitate to ask them -- Detroit is NOT Chicago, they usually try to be accommodating.

is about right. You can't plan on it, but if you ask (nicely) and at the right time, you'll likely get it.

Do NOT cross into Canada unless you have filed a flight plan and are talking to ATC and have a transponder code (even though you are not in class B ). I cross Canada going to Ohio all the time. That is what you will do if you want to visit any of the islands in a Lake Erie. If you don't follow the rules, there will be a Blackhawk helicopter in your future when you come back to the US side.

Also, this is not entirely accurate (note my emphasis). When I talked to the controllers at the TRACON, they said that as long as you're squawking and talking, there's no biggie if you go over Canada. They don't even see the VFR flight plans that you file, and anyway, they're the agency that controls all arrivals and departures into Windsor, so even though you're over Canada, the airspace is basically under US jurisdiction.

I come in for work from time to time. Detroit has def turned a corner. Now I see little cool coffee shops pop up, the hipsters, small businesses in the downtown ares etc. Shinola has been huge success, for instance, and they're very proud of being from Detroit. It has a long way to go, but agree, when the artists (who have all been driven out of Manhattan because it's too expensive) are moving in you know the turnaround has started. There are some spectacular buildings and houses in that city to be had for very little money.

Back