hypothetical: 737 type rating just for fun?

I can't imagine doing something like this for fun. You'd still have to do all the maneuvers to atp standards and that's challenging enough with a airline experience. I remember my v1 cuts were terrible at recurrent; can't see how op would do it without any prior training. The thought of a type for fun doesn't strike me as fun at all and Insay this as I prepare to go fly the bus for the first time in the near future. Any current/former 320 drivers here?

Any dentists out there. I've always been interested in root canals but never had the chance to go to dental school. Could I pay to just learn how to do root canals for fun. I have no intention in practicing dentistry but always wanted to see if I could.

I say go for it. What's the worst that can happen?

For the OP - if it hasn't been said yet, if you don't have appropriate time flying similar airplanes, then part of the 737 type rating will require flying an actual 737 airplane as the pilot in command. If you aren't a pilot, that's a non-starter. Regular private pilots have (rarely) gotten type ratings in 737s, but you do need to actually be a pilot.

I can't imagine doing something like this for fun. You'd still have to do all the maneuvers to atp standards and that's challenging enough with a airline experience. I remember my v1 cuts were terrible at recurrent; can't see how op would do it without any prior training. The thought of a type for fun doesn't strike me as fun at all and Insay this as I prepare to go fly the bus for the first time in the near future. Any current/former 320 drivers here?

None of that would be a concern, what would happen if he fails? Nothing. It's not like it's a job requirement with repercussions if he gets an unsat.

Doesn't a type rating including learning all the intricate/complex systems of the aircraft before ever getting any stick time? In the USAF we spent weeks learning all the systems before any simulator or aircraft time. It wasn't what I would call "fun." I can think of many better ways to throw away thousands of dollars than getting a type rating without any chance of actually using it to fly. There are outfits that will strap you in a fighter or fighter/trainer and actually let you get some stick time (the fun part) without learning which system runs off utility vs primary hydraulic systems, etc. After 9/11 I would suspect homeland security would ask a lot of questions about anyone who wasn't a pilot inquiring about a type rating in a transport category aircraft.

My understanding is that flying scares you but you enjoy how airplanes work apparently. Have you thought about getting an A&P license by learning how to work on planes, including the computer hardware/software?

My understanding is that flying scares you but you enjoy how airplanes work apparently. Have you thought about getting an A&P license by learning how to work on planes, including the computer hardware/software?
My thoughts exactly!

Although, it would be an interesting control set to take a non-GA certified individual and run them through your course. That could really validate some parts of the knowledge based sections of the course, and then allow you to actually determine how much prior skill is required for successful course completion.

Dude hasn’t been back since his original post more than two weeks ago. Another hit and run…

None of that would be a concern, what would happen if he fails? Nothing. It's not like it's a job requirement with repercussions if he gets an unsat.

I don't think it's the failure people are concerned about, it's the fact that it would most likely be at best an entirely un-fun and miserable experience, and at worst he would be so over his head that he will just be a bug on a windshield and get nothing out of a very expensive experience.

To give you a hint, only about half of my newhire class made it through sims...and obviously these are all instrument rated commercial pilots. I don't see any hope for a nonpilot.

Back