Hypertension

G

Currently on BP meds....at home BP averages 109/72 to 128/80 depending on the days stress level and exercise. I am 9% body fat and workout a lot (strictly cardio/body weight exercises). Diet is Asian diet with minimal sodium. Eat meat about once a week. No sodas. Drink coffee but not 24 hours prior to BP test. Non smoker. Drink about once every 30-60 days. Currently on Losartan and Chlorthalidone 25mg of each. Before meds BP was 155-160/85-88. I also get really nervous at the doctor.

Last first class I had was a BP of 140/80. I asked them to take it again after 5 minutes and it was 120/72. I asked to take it again prior to leaving docs office and it was 126/74. Is this something I should be worried about? I've had my BP ping into 150's if I'm really nervous at doctor but it seems to go normal if given a second or sometimes third reading. I'm in the military so I have all kinds of crazy blood tests done every 6 months, retinal scan and imagery of optic nerve, etc for this.

Considering maybe asking for different med or dosage? Any thoughts?

not sure what your question is... if you are asking if its gonna be a problem for medical, you can expect a CACI (I think) and the AME can write it, rt there as long as you are not on any FAA frowned upon meds

As long as it's controlled there is nothing to sweat. I had HBP probably the last 10 years of flying at an airline with a 1st Class and blood work results provided to my AME. Stop worrying!

You will need a note from your primary care doc saying it's well controlled with no side effects to take with you to the AME.

You will need a note from your primary care doc saying it's well controlled with no side effects to take with you to the AME.
The note also needs to state no apparent coronary disease. With the note an AME prolly won't even bother to yawn...but if over 50 they may want a ekg. There should only be 1 ekg required if I remember correctly.

Sorta related question for @bbchien

My last Third Class medical went fine except added a restriction to have glasses available for near vision. Then I get a letter. No restrictions on my medical but I will need to comply with CACI for Hypertension the next one. (I'm 50 so 18 more months)

Will the Third class medical reform allow me to continue as is, or does CACI have the same gravity as would an SI (which I've never had to worry about).

Thanks.

CACI is between you and the AME... Basically he has to have a letter from your doc saying that he is "satisfied with you blood prssure control". It's simple and is a Normal Issuance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back