Hypertension

A

anonymous

I currently have a 3rd class medical with an SI for Thyroid Cancer. My endocrinologist treating my thyroid cancer has referred me to my family dr for high blood pressure.

What happens with my medical if I am diagnosed with Hypertension? My last reading (un-medicated) was over the CACI limit.

Do I have to suspend flying and see an AME, or is this simply a stop flying while adjusting to meds (I have the list of approved meds)?

Your Dr will have to provide a letter to the AME you use saying your HBP is under control, something to that effect. That's what mine did for me and I held a First Class for 24 years or more.

((Note: I am not a doctor or AME, but this situation applies to me so I can help some based on my past experience. But if you have specific questions about your personal situation, definitely consult your own doctor))

Anon... your AME can use the CACI Worksheet (CACI = Conditions an AME Can Issue) for this. See this page:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...es/aam/ame/guide/media/C-CACIHypertension.pdf

From the top paragraph on that page, is the status letter from your PCP that Mark references. (highlighted in blue)

The Examiner should review a current status report by the treating physician and any supporting documents to determine the applicant’s eligibility for certification. HOWEVER, the AME is not required to review a current status report from the treating physician IF the AME can otherwise determine that the applicant has had stable clinical blood pressure control on the current antihypertensive medication for at least 7 days, without symptoms from the hypertension or adverse medication side-effects, and no treatment changes are recommended.​

What needs to be in that letter in plain english is several blood pressure readings taken by the doc or his nurse over a few days, what medication (name, dosage, frequency, side effects if any), that he is or isn't following you for cardiac artery disease (hopefully he isn't), and that in his opinion, your hypertension is properly controlled.

If you bring in a favorable report to your next AME exam, then CACI can apply and you should be good to go.

As far as how this works in conjunction with your existing thyroid cancer... that's out of my depth and I defer to our resident AME's Doctors Bruce and Lou.

So is this just something that I file away until my next exam (I'm not due until October 2019)?

So nothing to report to the AME or OKC until my next regularly scheduled 3rd Class exam, correct? Just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before going in for my appt.

((Note: I am not a doctor or AME, but this situation applies to me so I can help some based on my past experience. But if you have specific questions about your personal situation, definitely consult your own doctor))

Anon... your AME can use the CACI Worksheet (CACI = Conditions an AME Can Issue) for this. See this page:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...es/aam/ame/guide/media/C-CACIHypertension.pdf

From the top paragraph on that page, is the status letter from your PCP that Mark references. (highlighted in blue)

The Examiner should review a current status report by the treating physician and any supporting documents to determine the applicant’s eligibility for certification. HOWEVER, the AME is not required to review a current status report from the treating physician IF the AME can otherwise determine that the applicant has had stable clinical blood pressure control on the current antihypertensive medication for at least 7 days, without symptoms from the hypertension or adverse medication side-effects, and no treatment changes are recommended.​

What needs to be in that letter in plain english is several blood pressure readings taken by the doc or his nurse over a few days, what medication (name, dosage, frequency, side effects if any), that he is or isn't following you for cardiac artery disease (hopefully he isn't), and that in his opinion, your hypertension is properly controlled.

If you bring in a favorable report to your next AME exam, then CACI can apply and you should be good to go.

So is this just something that I file away until my next exam (I'm not due until October 2019)?
To the best of my (limited) knowledge, being diagnosed with hypertension is not a grounding offense nor requires immediate reporting. Other things are, but not this one.

My last reading (un-medicated) was over the CACI limit.

This needs to be red flashing lights, loud buzzers, and large waving flags to get your attention and take your diagnosis as a warning to make the appropriate lifestyle changes to keep damage at a minimum. Better nutrition, losing some weight, more exercise, etc.

As the docs here correctly warn us, High Blood Pressure is a slow killer and should not be left ignored. Damage done either doesn't repair or is extremely slow to repair. And continued ignoring leads to very bad consequences way beyond just being grounded from flying.

Take your meds, cut out the bad foods, increase hydration, lose some weight, and report back to your doc in a few weeks time to demonstrate any improvement.

Finally, getting one of the OMRON home BP cuffs might be a good idea. Take it with you to the doc's office and have its reading compared to an "official" one taken by the doc or nurse. Then use it at home to record your progress like you would use your bathroom scale to record improvements in weight.

So nothing to report to the AME or OKC until my next regularly scheduled 3rd Class exam, correct? Just trying to make sure I cover all my bases before going in for my appt.

I not 100% positive but I believe you may be required to report it now. Are you being treated for it now? Do you belong to AOPA? Perhaps a call to them could provide an answer.

Keep in mind that your BP is going to be checked by the AME during your exam. If you're still in red lights and loud buzzer zone, the AME is going to be very grumpy with you, and you're going to be put into the deferral penalty box.

You don't want to be deferred in regular times... and with the government shutdown thing going on, the delay is only going to get worse the longer it takes for the congress critters to get things figured out.

Better to postpone the AME visit until you have your BP back down closer to normal for your age.

correct you do not have to report it till your next exam ... but it behooves you to have it under control by then. On the Omron BP machine: very good. Be sure to get the arm cuff ... not wrist or finger!

First - thanks for all the replies.

I went to the Dr. Initial check was high (195/90). Dr talked to me for about 10 minutes about various stuff and said "Lets recheck now". It was 140/80. His diagnosis was white coat syndrome. Told me to monitor with my new at home cuff and come back in a month with a log of my pressures. He doesn't think it is a concern.

Talked some airplane talk and might have a new pilot in the works....

Again - thanks guys.

Read your SI letter. It should say that you are required to report any change in your medical condition. I was told that it is not specific to your SI condition. The FAA doesn’t make it easy.

AggieMike88 is right on the 'medical' money, as usual!
You can't make a post like that here, it's not allowed!!!

What you are supposed to do is completely ignore what Mike said and chime with a lengthy and footnoted dissertation, the entire time asserting that you are the authority figure here and making sure that everyone knows that your version of the correct answer is the ONLY correct version of the correct answer. That's the way it's supposed to be done here! (God, how I miss Levy).

Okay, maybe not (on all regards).

(thanks for simply acknowledging @AggieMike88's answer and moving on!!!)

;)

:cool:

:thumbsup:

You can't make a post like that here, it's not allowed!!!

What you are supposed to do is completely ignore what Mike said and chime with a lengthy and footnoted dissertation, the entire time asserting that you are the authority figure here and making sure that everyone knows that your version of the correct answer is the ONLY correct version of the correct answer. That's the way it's supposed to be done here! (God, how I miss Levy).

Okay, maybe not (on all regards).

(thanks for simply acknowledging @AggieMike88's answer and moving on!!!)

;)

:cool:

:thumbsup:
Reported

Looks like @timwinters is back to his old mutley self

"Rashin Frashin Rim Rinters"
tenor.gif

Now if we can just get Spike and Ed to contribute more, the Tres Amigos de Gastons will be riding again

px9eEEC.gif

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back