Hypertension Medication

I

IMAnonymous

First time poster here, thank you in advance for the help. I have a 1st. class medical. My doctor prescribed Losartan Potassium 50 MG. Was I required to ground myself before my next medical?
What is the process of getting my 1st. class medical with Hypertension Medication?
Thank you

Well controlled hypertension is pretty much a yawner for the AME. All you need is a note from your doctor saying that it is well controlled. Losartan is acceptable to the FAA. Never heard of a need to ground for hypertension meds other than a few days to make sure there are no adverse side effects. That said I am not a doctor, lawyer, medicine man, or Holiday Inn Express sleeper.

First time poster here, thank you in advance for the help. I have a 1st. class medical. My doctor prescribed Losartan Potassium 50 MG. Was I required to ground myself before my next medical?
What is the process of getting my 1st. class medical with Hypertension Medication?
Thank you

I had to have a letter from my Dr sent to the AME stating basically what Clark wrote above. I flew for an airline so I had to maintain a 1st Class every 6 months. Not a big deal as long as it's controlled.

The other important nugget for the doctor to add to the letter is "I am not following Mr. ____ for Cardiac Artery Disease."

Last edited:
Also, IMAnonymous, go talk to the AME you use and ask if he has either a "fill in the blank and sign" form for your doctor to use, or a boilerplate template of what the doctor should write.

I've learned that for things to be sent to the FAA, you never let your doctor start with a blank sheet of paper. When the FAA gets what they want in the simple wording and format they want, flying life is much simpler.

To add to what others have said, your first exam once being on hypertension medicine, you'll need to provide your AME with a form signed by your doctor that includes your medical history and at least three blood pressure checks, 24 hours apart, within 90 days of the exam. Best to get this form and fill it out with your doctor--don't just drop it off for him or her to fill out. I just went through this and I did it backwards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back