Hyperlakemia / Addison's Disease / High Potassium

P

PJ2

Went in for my annual physical and the results of a routine lipid panel returned a potassium reading of 6.2. This combined with a BP of 96/54 took my doctor by surprise as up until now I've had no health issues whatsoever. I feel very fortunate ... at 63 my only "meds" are an over the counter multi-vitamin and Omega-3. A follow-up test the next day to rule out any kind of lab contamination showed a slight decrease but potassium still in the "life-threatening" category. Waiting for the results from a third round of urine / blood tests after a Nephrology consult to check for kidney / renal issues. I've self grounded until we have some resolution but from what I've read online Addison's is disqualifying for a medical. I had just renewed my 3rd Class last month. Can anyone confirm this? Many thanks -

There's an SI process for it. First you have to figure out what exactly is going on and get on a path to address the health issues. Addison can end up quite serious. You're going to need to be stable on whatever treatment before you can consider applying. Basic med is a good option here once you are healthy enough to fly.

Went in for my annual physical and the results of a routine lipid panel returned a potassium reading of 6.2. This combined with a BP of 96/54 took my doctor by surprise as up until now I've had no health issues whatsoever. I feel very fortunate ... at 63 my only "meds" are an over the counter multi-vitamin and Omega-3. A follow-up test the next day to rule out any kind of lab contamination showed a slight decrease but potassium still in the "life-threatening" category. Waiting for the results from a third round of urine / blood tests after a Nephrology consult to check for kidney / renal issues. I've self grounded until we have some resolution but from what I've read online Addison's is disqualifying for a medical. I had just renewed my 3rd Class last month. Can anyone confirm this? Many thanks -

Annual physical probably saves a healthy guy's life. Good for you taking care of yourself. I hope this gets resolved quickly and you continue to fly.

Addison's is pretty recertifiable with the right amount of mineralocorticoid replacement, But the $64K question is in the sella turcica...where the pituitary gland resides....the Endocrine is the RIGHT guy for this.

Many thanks for the earlier replies. Tests are back including Aldosterone and Renin Activity that were sent to the Mayo Clinic for evaluation. Hypoaldosteronism is the diagnosis for the moment impacted by low levels of the hormone aldosterone. Back in for another round of blood tests this week and hoping for some kind of game plan from doctor to get this under control. Still self-grounding. I presume once levels are under control an SI will be in order?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back