Hyper immune globulin & Convalescent plasma

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
I had Covid. Just got a letter wanting me to donate. Anyone done it? What’s it like? Seems to be more than just getting stuck and leaving a pint.

It’s like giving blood, except takes twice as long, they run your blood through a machine to separate out the plasma. Around here the plasma donors get TVs to pass the time.

My mother used to work in a plasma center. The procedure then was to donate a pint of blood. The blood is spun in a centrifuge to separate it. They draw the plasma off and give you the rest back mixed with saline. This was decades ago, but I don’t imagine it has changed much.

It takes a bit over an hour, but there are few side effects. The most common are dehydration and dizziness (electrolyte imbalance), similar to intense physical activity. Hydrate well before and maybe Gatorade after?

As long as you donate with a reputable facility, no risk to you. All the equipment that touches your blood is single use or commercially sterilized.
In the dark past, the plasma business had a somewhat shady reputation as they sought out those customers who needed a couple 100 $$ extra every week and at times bent the enrollment criteria to include people who shouldn't be part of the donor pool.

Actually, I find using the pheresis machine much easier than giving whole blood the traditional way. They replace the volume they take with some saline so you don't have quite the depleted feeling after it. The only thing to watch out to is some people are sensitive to the some of the components in the stuff they use. To me, it just gives me an odd taste in my mouth.

In the dark past, the plasma business had a somewhat shady reputation as they sought out those customers who needed a couple 100 $$ extra every week and at times bent the enrollment criteria to include people who shouldn't be part of the donor pool.

The only enrollment criteria was really just to be healthy and not have donated in the past month. Bloodborne illnesses were the major health concern.

There were and still are people who donate every month as a means of supplementing income or a habit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back