Hygiene with O2 masks?

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
We rent a Turbo 182 with built-in oxygen delivered via masks. Should we be concerned about disease transmission? What can we do to make it more hygienic? Or should we just avoid the O2 altitudes? I'm worried about any cleaning or disinfecting agent coming in contact with O2, as well as its effect on the masks themselves.

Last edited:
We rent a Turbo 182 with built-in oxygen delivered via masks. Should we be concerned about disease transmission? What can we do to make it more hygenic? Or should we just avoid the O2 altitudes? I'm worried about any cleaning or disinfecting agent coming in contact with O2, as well as its effect on the masks themselves.

Wow - that's an excellent question. I too am curious now.

And I'd never thought about this before....eek.

Why dont you just buy your own mask or canula?

If you have the Oxy-saver type, you'd only need the mask portion and not the connector end.

Or, couldn't you just disconnect them and use some rubbing alcohol?

Last edited:
I would definitely buy my own mask or cannula. As far as the lines are concerned most bacteria (and other organisms) need moisture (something lacking in an O2 line) and in a high O2 concentration they would die anyway. Thats why hydrogen peroxide is suck a good cleaner of wounds.

Why dont you just buy your own mask or canula?

If you have the Oxy-saver type, you'd only need the mask portion and not the connector end.
I thought of that, but I'm not even sure where to get compatible parts.

There are two masks in the plane (2002 T182T): the pilot's, which has a higher volume and built-in microphone, and the copilot's, which has lower volume and no mic. They have a quick-connect fitting into the overhead panel. Are fittings standardized, so we can just buy any one from a portable oxygen system? I don't know yet how much we'll be flying this, as opposed to the other (non-turbocharged) planes, so I'm reluctant to put in large expenditures that can't be easily transferred to other planes. Rental is about $20/hour more for the 2002 T182T than the 1999 182S.

I've thought of buying my own portable O2, but there's a big jump from buying a few dollars worth of cleaning supplies to buying two masks that won't transfer to another plane, to buying a complete portable oxygen system.

Or, couldn't you just disconnect them and use some rubbing alcohol?
:hairraise: alcohol + pure O2 = fire!:hairraise: It would need to be COMPLETELY dry before it was plugged in again. Plus, what effect would alcohol have on the plastic of the mask?

I say you burn the germs off with a match...That'd teach them little ba****ds...

Look at Aerox to see if you can get compatible plugs/tubing. They do have a variety of connectors... I've got two types, one for the Aerox regulator, the other for a Puritan-Bennett system - I just put the appropriate connector (well, pigtail w/connector) on the flow meter depending on the tank I'm gonna use. I'd be willing to bet that they have one for the Cessna. If not, I'm sure you can get one from Cessna for the appropriate co$t.

Alternatively, as suggested, you can clean them with rubbing alcohol or other disinfectant - but let it dry thoroughly before use. It isn't that hard, the alcohol dries pretty quickly. Avoid grease and oil-based products, but water-based stuff should be OK. Except for rebreather-type systems (oxymizer), it's more an issue of skin contact.

Look at Aerox to see if you can get compatible plugs/tubing. They do have a variety of connectors... I've got two types, one for the Aerox regulator, the other for a Puritan-Bennett system - I just put the appropriate connector (well, pigtail w/connector) on the flow meter depending on the tank I'm gonna use. I'd be willing to bet that they have one for the Cessna. If not, I'm sure you can get one from Cessna for the appropriate co$t.

Alternatively, as suggested, you can clean them with rubbing alcohol or other disinfectant - but let it dry thoroughly before use. It isn't that hard, the alcohol dries pretty quickly. Avoid grease and oil-based products, but water-based stuff should be OK. Except for rebreather-type systems (oxymizer), it's more an issue of skin contact.
Thanks.

So I'm thinking that for the first couple of flights I should just use the type of alcohol pads used for cleaning wounds and let dry during the pre-flight. After I determine how useful I find the O2 to be, I investigate purchasing my own masks (and/or canulas, so I don't need to worry about the built-in microphone, which I expect adds $$). Looking at http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page36.htm, I'm starting to get some ideas. I think I might just give them a call this morning.

Thanks.

So I'm thinking that for the first couple of flights I should just use the type of alcohol pads used for cleaning wounds and let dry during the pre-flight. After I determine how useful I find the O2 to be, I investigate purchasing my own masks (and/or canulas, so I don't need to worry about the built-in microphone, which I expect adds $$). Looking at http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page36.htm, I'm starting to get some ideas. I think I might just give them a call this morning.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. If you can use oxymizers, you can use a regular headset up to about 18,000 feet (monitor with a pulse oximeter), and you won't need the built-in mic. Above 18,000 you WILL need the mask, and it's handier if you have the built in mic (though I've been known to use the regular mic with a mask, simply lifting the mask for the few seconds it takes to make a radio call.... I don't think I'd do that above 20K, though, which is OK because the MAA on the plane is 20K).

I'd try to contact the mask manufacturer. Certainly this issue must come up all the time for them and likely has been addressed already. And while I wouldn't want to minimize the fire danger, there's a big difference between O2 at normal atmospheric pressure and O2 at high pressure WRT the fire potential. Again, I'd ask the mfg but I wouldn't be surprised if they say clean with alcohol and let it dry for a few minutes.

Ask the FBO for info on what model O2 system they have in the plane and buy your own cannulas (much more comfortable than the masks). As mentioned earlier, most of the time you only need the mask above 18k'. Rachel and I flew with the cannulas at 16,500' and my O2 stayed above 90% the whole time. We have the Aerox system.

Check out: http://www.aviationoxygen.com/ for some different options for what you need as far as connectors, etc. then shop around via google to find a good price on the specific parts you need.

Then, just sit back and enjoy the view from above "Indian territory" (altitudes where cherokees usually fly ;) )

YES. Unless you have an office sterilizer.
You mean a MEDICAL office sterilizer, or a normal office, as used for keyboards, telephones and the like?

As far as buying my own, the place I called this morning concurred with my $220 price estimate, because it would be the Aerox stuff. That does have the advantage of significantly extending the supply, which would normally only last about 3 hours, IIRC. That's a litle steep for something I'll use so infrequently. I think that ANR headsets are higher on my list right now, followed by satellite weather.

You mean a MEDICAL office sterilizer, or a normal office, as used for keyboards, telephones and the like?

As far as buying my own, the place I called this morning concurred with my $220 price estimate, because it would be the Aerox stuff. That does have the advantage of significantly extending the supply, which would normally only last about 3 hours, IIRC. That's a litle steep for something I'll use so infrequently. I think that ANR headsets are higher on my list right now, followed by satellite weather.

The cannulas shouldn't cost $220. Are you pricing a full small O2 system or just the cannulas themselves? From Aerox's website, you can get the Oxysaver Cannula for $35. Ohhh.. I see.. Are you pricing the full mask w/ microphone? If so, then use triple-digit prices are in order.

Is there a spot on the hose where the mask can disconnect?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Standard Mask (Select mask size)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$8.95

[/FONT]

The cannulas shouldn't cost $220. Are you pricing a full small O2 system or just the cannulas themselves? From Aerox's website, you can get the Oxysaver Cannula for $35. Ohhh.. I see.. Are you pricing the full mask w/ microphone? If so, then use triple-digit prices are in order.
No, I was pricing the "retrofit kit", which is what they said I'd need, because the bare canulas don't provide any metering or flow control. They're $108 each, and I'd need two. The OxySaver cannula says it's for use "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] with [/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] AEROX[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] flow control and other systems able to deliver low oxygen flow." [/FONT]I see bare cannulas and masks for under $10, but, since there is nowhere to specify what kind of connector you use, I figure you need to get that separately. That's what gets me into that whole perceived need for the retrofit kit.

[SIZE=-2][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Aerox Retrofit/Upgrade kit consists of an Oxysaver cannula, connector with needle valve of your choice, the dual-index flow meter, and tubing - all you need for one person.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm sitting here showing my ignorance to the world! :rofl::yes:

Is there a spot on the hose where the mask can disconnect?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Standard Mask (Select mask size)[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$8.95
[/FONT]
That's a very good question. I need to go by airport and look at the masks they have in the plane.

Who has ever caught a bug from a mask?? I bet the odds are miniscule but the esthetic factor is huge (is that a spec of something on that nasal cannula?!).

While hospital surgeries sterilize or discard all the tubing and such between surgeries, there are surfaces within the anesthetic machine that some tell me cannot be disinfected....but they don't have any problems.

Who has ever caught a bug from a mask?? I bet the odds are miniscule but the esthetic factor is huge (is that a spec of something on that nasal cannula?!).

While hospital surgeries sterilize or discard all the tubing and such between surgeries, there are surfaces within the anesthetic machine that some tell me cannot be disinfected....but they don't have any problems.
I'm certainly not concerned about the tubing, since the flow of O2 would probably keep any bugs from moving back there. The only question, and it is a question, is about the mask/canula itself. At $20 total, I'll get my own, just for the "peace of mind." At $220, I'm not so sure.

Yes, but that's because the gas is moving over Barium hydroxide, one of the most hostile-to-life substances known to biology. CO2 scrubbing, it is.

We're mostly concerned with tuberculosis, but there has been something like one case is 37 years.....

I don't think you have to use the flowmeters with the cannulas, they just allow you to reduce the amount of O2 consumed on a flight. OTOH, if you are paying for the O2, reducing the flow will save enough money over a half dozen flights up high. Also you could use them with your own portable system if you get one in the future.

But if none of that matters to you now, just get a couple cannulas and either buy a pair of compatible connectors or splice them onto the connectors currently on the masks. Typically the lines to the masks don't have or require clamps because the pressure is miniscule. If you go with a flowmeter, the line from the connector to the flowmeter will be pressurized and need clamps so you'd probably need your own connectors for that.

Also worth considering is that you really need a pulse oxymeter if you are using flowmeters and that will set you back another $200-300.

In your case I think I'd just get a couple conserving cannulas and pop the tubing onto the connectors currently attached to the masks. Get the conserving ones so you can use them in the future with flowmeters on your own system, the extra cost isn't much.

Okay, I checked the masks, and it's not a problem to disconnect them from the tubing. So it shouldn't be a problem to get just a couple of STANDARD canulas (not the Aerox ones). Total cost less than $20. Gets hygiene, but still leaves us with a max of about 3.2 hours O2.

Could go with the Aerox, which purports to increase the O2 duration up to eightfold. It's about $220. Remember, of course, that the plane has more than 5 hour legs at 75% power.

Or could go the cheap route at a couple bucks for alcohol swabs.

Love choices! :)

I don't think you have to use the flowmeters with the cannulas, they just allow you to reduce the amount of O2 consumed on a flight. OTOH, if you are paying for the O2, reducing the flow will save enough money over a half dozen flights up high. Also you could use them with your own portable system if you get one in the future.
It was the quote about them for use with" AEROX flow control [or] other systems able to deliver low oxygen flow" that made me think I couldn't use it without a flowmeter.
But if none of that matters to you now, just get a couple cannulas and either buy a pair of compatible connectors or splice them onto the connectors currently on the masks. Typically the lines to the masks don't have or require clamps because the pressure is miniscule. If you go with a flowmeter, the line from the connector to the flowmeter will be pressurized and need clamps so you'd probably need your own connectors for that.

Also worth considering is that you really need a pulse oxymeter if you are using flowmeters and that will set you back another $200-300.
Actually, I already have one :)
In your case I think I'd just get a couple conserving cannulas and pop the tubing onto the connectors currently attached to the masks. Get the conserving ones so you can use them in the future with flowmeters on your own system, the extra cost isn't much.

It was the quote about them for use with" AEROX flow control [or] other systems able to deliver low oxygen flow" that made me think I couldn't use it without a flowmeter.

I'm pretty certain that what they really mean is that you need flowmeters to take advantage of the Oxysaver's oxygen savings. If they didn't say that the flowmeters were required some folks would think that the cannula by itself would extend the capacity of their system. And confirming my theory, the instructions for the conserving cannulas tell you to open the flowmeter fully (so it no longer restricts the flow) if you exhibit any signs of hypoxia so it's obvious that they will work without a restriction in the line.

BTW, I have several cannulas including the "mustache" type of conserving cannula, a pendant conserver, and a couple of hospital type non-conserving ones. IME the pendant one is the most efficient at delivering oxygen.

Grant, depending on if you got the full end-to-end connections or not, you'll still be able to take advantage of them. On my cannulas, there is a small valve on the connector where you just dial in how much o2 you want in the flow meter. The oxymizer cannulas have the little reservoir with a pseudo check valve in them.

Yes, but that's because the gas is moving over Barium hydroxide, one of the most hostile-to-life substances known to biology. CO2 scrubbing, it is.

We're mostly concerned with tuberculosis, but there has been something like one case is 37 years.....

From sharing an oxygen mask, or in the entire population? My wife (social worker) has told me that we've had an outbreak in some communities around me for a while now...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back