Hydrocodone

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I was in the hospital six months ago or so for appendicitis and underwent an appendectomy. I was given Hydrocodone in the hospital for the pain. I recovered quickly and did not need to take anything for pain after the surgery. I talked to my doctors that were not associated with the FAA and they said I was cleared to fly. For some reason it did not occur to me that I should also talk to an AME. I am just curious where this leaves me going forward when I have to renew my medical. Any help is appreciated.

You're fine. Just be aware, that you were supposed to report your surgery six months ago. I'm serious. Don't worry, the FAA is really, really used to private pilots screwing this up. You need to report the surgery on your next medical and you will be required to go get letters from your treating physicians about your recovery including reporting no more drugs.

You'll be fine, but grounded until they get the letters and respond to you.

Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

Dave,

I don't know where you're getting your info, but for something like appendectomy or gallbladder removal, without complication, it is "manifest recovery" before resuming flight and report on the next medical. It isn't immediately grounding, so there is no need to report it to anyone (immediately), because the thing that would have grounded you has been removed.

OP - talk to an AME, but you're fine. You'll report on your next medical.

Had an emergency appendectomy several years ago,no big thing. Be sure to report it on your next flight physical.

You're fine. Just be aware, that you were supposed to report your surgery six months ago. I'm serious. Don't worry, the FAA is really, really used to private pilots screwing this up. You need to report the surgery on your next medical and you will be required to go get letters from your treating physicians about your recovery including reporting no more drugs.

You'll be fine, but grounded until they get the letters and respond to you.

Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

Report six months ago? To whom? The headmaster?

Yes, report at next visit to AME. Remember that Hydrocodone is a opiod and is a big no-no. Keep track of the number of pills issued, the number taken, and turn in the balance to your AME. Then you should not have a problem. -Skip

Yes, report at next visit to AME. Remember that Hydrocodone is a opiod and is a big no-no. Keep track of the number of pills issued, the number taken, and turn in the balance to your AME. Then you should not have a problem. -Skip

Huh? Where is there a requirement to do that? There is no FAA ban on possession of hydrocodone - you just can't be on it or have used it recently if you're going flying.

Huh? Where is there a requirement to do that? There is no FAA ban on possession of hydrocodone - you just can't be on it or have used it recently if you're going flying.

Correct. Your medical record will show you filled the prescription. Now prove you are not taking it any more.

My recommendation is perhaps overkill, but it will document to the FAA's satisfaction you are not abusing the drug. And if you are not taking the drug, there is no downside to what I recommended. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not.

-Skip

Correct. Your medical record will show you filled the prescription. Now prove you are not taking it any more.

My recommendation is perhaps overkill, but it will document to the FAA's satisfaction you are not abusing the drug. And if you are not taking the drug, there is no downside to what I recommended. Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not.

-Skip

Well being he said he was given the hydro in the hospital, and even if he was given a prescription. He would have only had a limited amount. Unless he's scoring on the street, which wouldn't matter because it's not like people report that activity.

they gave you what? 20 pills? dont even stress it. . . .

how can you prove you are not taking them anymore? You can only take 20 of them . . . then they are all gone. How can anyone prove you still have them!

Dave,

I don't know where you're getting your info, but for something like appendectomy or gallbladder removal, without complication, it is "manifest recovery" before resuming flight and report on the next medical. It isn't immediately grounding, so there is no need to report it to anyone (immediately), because the thing that would have grounded you has been removed.

OP - talk to an AME, but you're fine. You'll report on your next medical.

I'm getting my info from my own personal experience in 2004. I had a laminectomy on one of my discs in my back and it is considered a rather ordinary and routine surgery these days. I didn't even consider the FAA back then. I did what most would do, I self grounded until I felt I was OK to go fly and then did just that.

Later that year, I went to get my medical and I dutifully reported the surgery on the form. That's when I was informed by my AME that I was supposed to report that to the FAA within (I think) 60 days. The application for medical was sent to the FAA and sure enough, I got a letter from the FAA telling me what I needed to do to be awarded a 3rd class medical. Basically it was written letters from my treating physicians stating that in their medical opinion that I was fit to the standard the FAA laid out.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I had broken an FAA reg by not reporting in the proper time frame and that I continued to fly. My AME informed me that I shoudn't worry about punishment because private pilots applying for third class medicals break this reg all the time and they kind of except it. However, had I been commercial, CFI, or ATP, they may well have gotten more nasty. They expect that level of pilot to be more versed in the FARs.

I am no AME, I'm not a doctor, and I don't study the FARs. Maybe the policy is different now than it was in 2004, maybe they have different rules for different levels of surgery, I don't know. I'm just saying what happened to me and I'm sure I still have the FAA letter if anyone really wants to see it. Maybe an AME can pop in here and straighten me out. I would love to find that they have changed the regs. It would show some good signs of reform at the FAA.

I'm getting my info from my own personal experience in 2004. I had a laminectomy on one of my discs in my back and it is considered a rather ordinary and routine surgery these days. I didn't even consider the FAA back then. I did what most would do, I self grounded until I felt I was OK to go fly and then did just that.

Later that year, I went to get my medical and I dutifully reported the surgery on the form. That's when I was informed by my AME that I was supposed to report that to the FAA within (I think) 60 days. The application for medical was sent to the FAA and sure enough, I got a letter from the FAA telling me what I needed to do to be awarded a 3rd class medical. Basically it was written letters from my treating physicians stating that in their medical opinion that I was fit to the standard the FAA laid out.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I had broken an FAA reg by not reporting in the proper time frame and that I continued to fly. My AME informed me that I shoudn't worry about punishment because private pilots applying for third class medicals break this reg all the time and they kind of except it. However, had I been commercial, CFI, or ATP, they may well have gotten more nasty. They expect that level of pilot to be more versed in the FARs.

I am no AME, I'm not a doctor, and I don't study the FARs. Maybe the policy is different now than it was in 2004, maybe they have different rules for different levels of surgery, I don't know. I'm just saying what happened to me and I'm sure I still have the FAA letter if anyone really wants to see it. Maybe an AME can pop in here and straighten me out. I would love to find that they have changed the regs. It would show some good signs of reform at the FAA.

I think spinal surgery's a bit different from an appy...

-Rich

Thanks for the great information everyone. Lots of good help in here. And yes I received 20 pills or so and thats it.

II am no AME, I'm not a doctor, and I don't study the FARs. Maybe the policy is different now than it was in 2004, maybe they have different rules for different levels of surgery, I don't know. I'm just saying what happened to me and I'm sure I still have the FAA letter if anyone really wants to see it. Maybe an AME can pop in here and straighten me out. I would love to find that they have changed the regs. It would show some good signs of reform at the FAA.
Not an AME or a physician, so FWIW... around the same time as you, or maybe a year before, I had a surgery that was pretty involved. I was even on an SI at the time, though the surgery had nothing to do with that condition. I didn't inform the FAA at the time, just self grounded until I was better and then went flying. On my next medical I reported it as well as some other issues that had cropped up. The AME didn't bat an eyelash, I was issued, and the only letter I got from the FAA was one saying I met the standards for 3rd class or some such wording -- I think Dr. Bruce calls it a letter of eligibility.

So Dave, if your letter said you had broken a reg, I'm pretty sure the FAA gave the exact reference. If you still have it, some of us might be curious to know what reg that was.

I could find nothing in Parts 61, 67, or 91 regarding such a reporting requirement. 61.53 would have been the most logical place for such a reporting requirement.

There was a change in 2004 to 61.53 but I believe it involved the addition of light sport material.

The only 60 day reporting requirement that I'm aware of is related to motor vehicle actions per 61.15 (involving drugs.) There is also the 30 day change of address reporting requirement.

If you still have the letter and can see what regulation it cites that would be helpful.

I suspect Dave's situation was an AME who did not know the regulations and should not have been deferred, because the AME should have made note of your range of motion, which is likely all your doc would have stated.

Based on my recent experience, there are AMEs out there, and not just Dr. Bruce, who know the rules and know how to get you approved (and pre-approved before doing MedXPress). If you're in the LA area, I'll highly recommend Dr. John Phillipp.

Short of a solid recommendation, if you have a question on your AMEs ability to handle your case, just ask questions of them before you show up in their office. If they sound like they know what they're doing, they probably do. If you get "why are you asking me these questions?", then move on.

Jeff

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back