Hydraulic pump

TheBusFlyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheBusFlyer
Hi!

On the accessory gear-box, there is the HP/LP fuel pump and a hydraulic pump.

1) Does the hydraulic pump also pump fuel?
2) What is the difference between a pump (ie. HP/LP fuel pump) and a hydraulic pump?

Thanks!

Hydraulic pumps generally pump hydraulic fluid (5606) to flight control surfaces and landing gear. This pump is usually run either electrically or in your case appears to be driven by a gear box. The later being good for electrical failures.

A fuel pump generally pumps fuel (Jet A) to the engine for combustion. Usually this is done with an engine driven fuel pump assisted by fuel cell fuel pumps.

Of course I could be completely off on all this. In which case R&W will correct.

Hi!

On the accessory gear-box, there is the HP/LP fuel pump and a hydraulic pump.

1) Does the hydraulic pump also pump fuel?
2) What is the difference between a pump (ie. HP/LP fuel pump) and a hydraulic pump?

Thanks!

1. No

2. one pumps fuel, the other pumps hydraulic fluid

Hydraulic pumps generally pump hydraulic fluid (5606) to flight control surfaces and landing gear. This pump is usually run either electrically or in your case appears to be driven by a gear box. The later being good for electrical failures.

A fuel pump generally pumps fuel (Jet A) to the engine for combustion. Usually this is done with an engine driven fuel pump assisted by fuel cell fuel pumps.

Of course I could be completely off on all this. In which case R&W will correct.

One minor point. Transports don't use 5606, typically they use Skydrol.

One minor point. Transports don't use 5606, typically they use Skydrol.

Transport Category use all kinds of stuff but in general, the bigger they are the more likely its some sort of phosphate ester based hydraulic fluid.

The biggest I'm familiar with that uses 5606 is the Falcon 7x. The entire Dassault Falcon line uses 5606 I think.

Skydrol huh. What are it's benefits over 5606? Less flammable?

Teaches you real fast not to get any on you and to wash your hands after being anywhere near it before you pick your nose or rub your eyes.

Teaches you real fast not to get any on you and to wash your hands after being anywhere near it before you pick your nose or rub your eyes.

What I hate is the function tests of gear blow down or emergency brakes. It can quickly fill a hangar with a fine mist of the stuff. :vomit:

What airplane are we talking about?

The gear and the flaps are both driven by the engine driven hydraulic pump (yes, 5606).

What airplane are we talking about?

The gear and the flaps are both driven by the engine driven hydraulic pump (yes, 5606).

I believe the OP is an Airbus driver...in Cyberspace.

Thanks!

Does this hydraulic pump also turn the small motor which keeps the generator RPM constant? Sorry, I forgot it's name....
How does that system work? How is the generator able to turn at a constant speed?

Any link with this hydraulic pump?

Thanks

Thanks!

Does this hydraulic pump also turn the small motor which keeps the generator RPM constant? Sorry, I forgot it's name....
How does that system work? How is the generator able to turn at a constant speed?

Any link with this hydraulic pump?

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_speed_drive

http://utcaerospacesystems.com/cap/products/Pages/integrator-drive-generator.aspx

Pretty sure these types of drives are only used in AC power and not DC systems. Not positive tho.

Last edited:

While I sold aircraft parts, I learned this the hard way. Ruined a set of work clothes and got some on me. :mad2:

Back