Hurricane Harvey Update from Port Aransas

Everything looks amazing, Jay. Such an incredible display of resolve and perseverance!

I haven't been to Port Aransas since I was in high school. I loved it there and would love to bring the family down at some point this year. Assuming we were looking at a 5-7 day stay, what's the best play aviation-wise? According to FF and airnav, there doesn't appear to be fuel or rental cars available at the Mustang Beach airport. I assume landing over at McCampbell airport is the best option for the longer visit accommodations/rental car and taking the ferry over into Port Aransas?

If you land in Port A (which now has fuel and an AWOS again), you will have access to our courtesy car. If you come after Labor Day (better rates, no school kids, a bit cooler) you will probably be able to use it for the duration of your stay.

Sadly, the car often sits unused for weeks at a time in the off season. It sat from September 2017 till March 2018, while we rebuilt, and it's only been used maybe ten times since then. When the charging system failed a couple of weeks ago, we seriously talked about selling it -- but it turned out to only be a seized AC compressor that was shredding the alternator fan belt.

So, the car is still there, for now, with "4 by 40" air conditioning. (4 windows down, 40 miles per hour!). ;)

So c'mon down -- we will make it work for you!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You beat me to it. I've been following the saga on Facebook all along. It's great that they're back in business, and that business is booming!
Thanks! We are having an almost unbelievable year so far, obliterating sales records that go back 15 years, now. We have never been busier! :)

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If you land in Port A (which now has fuel and an AWOS again), you will have access to our courtesy car. If you come after Labor Day (better rates, no school kids, a bit cooler) you will probably be able to use it for the duration of your stay.

Sadly, the car often sits unused for weeks at a time in the off season. It sat from September 2017 till March 2018, while we rebuilt, and it's only been used maybe ten times since then. When the charging system failed a couple of weeks ago, we seriously talked about selling it -- but it turned out to only be a seized AC compressor that was shredding the alternator fan belt.

So, the car is still there, for now, with "4 by 40" air conditioning. (4 windows down, 40 miles per hour!). ;)

So c'mon down -- we will make it work for you!

Excellent! We might be looking at a trip there during our boys' fall break, so I'll be sure to give you all a call soon! Happy to hear you're breaking some records!

Jay. I've read all the posts, I'll not go into detail, all I'll say is My problems seem trivial, you done good, I hope you continue to have great success.

... a seized AC compressor that was shredding the alternator fan belt.

If you want, I can help replace the A/C compressor, evacuate it and charge it to make it operational again. It's not a hard job.

So glad to hear that y'all are up and running and having a great season so far! We still plan on bringing the kids down at some point.

Jay,

I'll have to look back at how many years it's been since we were there. You were just getting started with the remodel. And now you got to do it all over again. I wanted to get back earlier to see how remodel #1 went, but we missed it.

Turns out it was Sep 18-21, 2010. Way longer ago than I thought.

That was also a couple signs ago, too. Oh yeah, and lots of rain.

DSCN0108.jpg DSCN0148.jpg

Turns out it was Sep 18-21, 2010. Way longer ago than I thought.

That was also a couple signs ago, too. Oh yeah, and lots of rain.

View attachment 63795 View attachment 63796

Wow! I remember that. Shoot, we were at the very start of this crazy project.

Yeah, you wouldn't recognize the place now. Everything is different, and better, than it was when we were the Harbor Inn!

Back