Hurricane Earl - keep a close eye on this one!

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
This is just perfect. The company I work for just happens to provide a key resource in hurricane impacted areas. It would work out just right that on the weekend I have a trip planned, a hurricane would make landfall and we would be called in for emergency orders.

Yippee.

(I would much rather be here working in a warehouse than actually dealing with the wrath of a hurricane, though...)

This is just perfect. The company I work for just happens to provide a key resource in hurricane impacted areas. It would work out just right that on the weekend I have a trip planned, a hurricane would make landfall and we would be called in for emergency orders.

Yippee.

(I would much rather be here working in a warehouse than actually dealing with the wrath of a hurricane, though...)
You guys gotta get like us. We actually have a hurricane/disaster response team and have prepackaged supplies ready to go. But then we also have contracts to supply such services already in place.

You guys gotta get like us. We actually have a hurricane/disaster response team and have prepackaged supplies ready to go. But then we also have contracts to supply such services already in place.

That's the thing, we are the warehouse that stores the 'disaster response' items for OTHER people.

That's the thing, we are the warehouse that stores the 'disaster response' items for OTHER people.
We are basically the same thing but with communication equipment and spares. The stuff is put together prior to hurricane season and prepositioned for fast deployment by dedicated teams to the customer.

The customers are government public safety people or cellular companies. The PS agencies mandate and are willing to pay for dedicated support. The cellular guys don't want to pay anything but still want their stuff. No surprise to either of those viewpoints. Since the PS agencies are often dealing with lives they needs their stuff to work ALL THE TIME.

Well hopefully you will not get stuck.

Last edited:

Yippee.

If you are out of cell phone range, how can they call you in? :D

If you are out of cell phone range, how can they call you in? :D

True..

I'll just make sure to stay out of 'the' cell coverage area up there:

main.php

This will be the first hurricane in my flight planning.

Viveca and I are in Williamsburg VA, heading back to Los Angeles later this week. So far it looks good if we leave Wednesday. We'll probably spend some time somewhere watching it rain.

Joe

If your travel takes you through Charlotte Joe, let me know...I can certainly meet up with you for lunch!
I wish I could but vacations are always too short, even when you're retired. Viveca has to get back to work and my co-owners are chomping at the bit for the plane.

It's a shame as I will be in Chapel Hill tomorrow to visit a nephew.

Right now I think we're going to be able to get to Little Rock on Wed, watch it rain Thursday and hopefully get to NM or AZ Friday and home Saturday.

I keep seeing the track move further and further west as the mythical turn towards the northwest fails to happen. Not really worried about it yet, being in Daytona, but every time I see the track come west, I start planning. Perhaps in my final semester in college, I'll finally get a hurrication that has been spoken about around the campus.

At least I'm on some hurricane aircraft evac lists, so I might get a way out of town without driving.

Where is(are) your warehouse(s) located, Chris?

Living on a barrier island, we've developed a fairly extensive hurricane response plan. We've got our motor home outfitted as a "survival capsule", with food, water, generators, etc. for our personal survival, but we don't have anything planned or pre-positioned for what comes AFTER a hurricane hits.

We've got some rebuilding "stuff" (tools, compressors, etc.) at our other hotel, but -- at 1240 miles away -- it's just too far away to be useful for that purpose.

Just curious -- what sorts of things do clients pre-position in your warehouses?

AdamB and were talking about this tomorrow. Our flight out of MHT will either be delayed due to the Hurricane or if its far enough east we might actually get a tail wind headed West. Lets hope its the second.

Where is(are) your warehouse(s) located, Chris?

Living on a barrier island, we've developed a fairly extensive hurricane response plan. We've got our motor home outfitted as a "survival capsule", with food, water, generators, etc. for our personal survival, but we don't have anything planned or pre-positioned for what comes AFTER a hurricane hits.

We've got some rebuilding "stuff" (tools, compressors, etc.) at our other hotel, but -- at 1240 miles away -- it's just too far away to be useful for that purpose.

Just curious -- what sorts of things do clients pre-position in your warehouses?

We operate the 3 regional DC's across the country for a large consumer goods manufacturer. We have a warehouse here in Atlanta, one in Pennsylvania, and one in California.

Around mid-July we started receiving specially packaged product that was marked as '[RetailerA] Disaster Relief', '[RetailerB] Disaster Relief', etc. We shipped a large quantity of product to Houston when the last hurricane slid by. Now we're trying to decide if we will be hit with orders here in ATL or if it will slide far enough north that the Pennsylvania warehouse gets slammed. Here in Atlanta, we are responsible for getting product to the coast stretching from the Carolina's over to about the Houston area.

FYI: Batteries/flashlights/lanterns are the bulk of our business when hurricanes hit.

All the ones I look at still show it skirting the US.

AdamB and were talking about this tomorrow. Our flight out of MHT will either be delayed due to the Hurricane or if its far enough east we might actually get a tail wind headed West. Lets hope its the second.

Fuggedaboudit. Jet stream has other plans for us.

Same goes for Dallas, Joe.

I wish I could but vacations are always too short, even when you're retired. Viveca has to get back to work and my co-owners are chomping at the bit for the plane.

It's a shame as I will be in Chapel Hill tomorrow to visit a nephew.

Right now I think we're going to be able to get to Little Rock on Wed, watch it rain Thursday and hopefully get to NM or AZ Friday and home Saturday.
Joe, your room at the farm will be available all week. ;) Actually, Tom is flying to Austin on Thursday, so I would love the company. :D And we still have food (and lots of wine) left over from the fly-in.

We had the remnants of Hurricane IKE come through this way a couple years ago. Just the wind, not the rain or storm surge. After that I wouldn't get anywhere near one of those things. Don't want to tell you what I did once to get away from one. And I won't, either.

Thank you all. It's a fun flight planning exercise.

I seem to be using the NAM/GFS models more and more (http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/12h/gfs_pres_12h.html) for this kind of planning. Thanks Scott!

We are planning a fairly leisurely trip home. Today around 1500Z it's KJGG-KHKS (Jackson MS) then tomorrow closer to 1700Z to LRU or ELP. Then leisurely hop into EMT. Total flight time is planned at 12.5 hrs.

Joe

Hmm. We'll see what this does for my weekend travel plans. Should be interesting. :)

Well if you were to head to 6Y9 it would be away from the mess that is the Hurricane....:D

That depends on where it goes. Remember that my plane is in Pennsylvania. ;)

We started shipping out a few 'hurricane' orders yesterday but it looks like the brunt of the orders will be coming from our sister warehouse in Pennsylvania. I was on a call with them yesterday and they said they were nearly doubling their staff on 1st and 2nd shifts for the rest of this week.

This will be the first hurricane in my flight planning.

Viveca and I are in Williamsburg VA, heading back to Los Angeles later this week. So far it looks good if we leave Wednesday. We'll probably spend some time somewhere watching it rain.

Joe

It's not a bad ride really, just remember the CCW rotation and take advantage of the winds, ie heading west stay on the northern half, heading east stay south and time your departure accordingly. The rain isn't solid, it runs in bands which are not that difficult to avoid. You shouldn't be seeing the wall, but who knows where it will turn.

This may be a stupid question, and it's possible that it's something that I *should* know, but I don't.... so I'll ask...

In large weather systems like a hurricane, is the hurricane "system" moving through other weather systems, or is the hurricane system influencing the weather around it and 'moving' by influencing and changing the surrounding weather systems?

As a better explanation of my question: If you released a balloon into the hurricane 'system' when it develops, would that balloon stay in the system until it dissipates (in this case, somewhere around Nova Scotia), or would the balloon stay in the general area that you released it, and the hurricane 'system' move along without it?

This may be a stupid question, and it's possible that it's something that I *should* know, but I don't.... so I'll ask...

In large weather systems like a hurricane, is the hurricane "system" moving through other weather systems, or is the hurricane system influencing the weather around it and 'moving' by influencing and changing the surrounding weather systems?

As a better explanation of my question: If you released a balloon into the hurricane 'system' when it develops, would that balloon stay in the system until it dissipates (in this case, somewhere around Nova Scotia), or would the balloon stay in the general area that you released it, and the hurricane 'system' move along without it?

Balloon would move with the 'cane.

OK, the usual watch versus warning Q.

Is watch worse? WATCH it happen - here it comes? or Warning?

OK, the usual watch versus warning Q.

Is watch worse? WATCH it happen - here it comes? or Warning?

Warning is 'worse'.

"Watch out, it might come this way" vs "I'm warning you that it is coming!"

I'm sure ScottD has the skinny on the requirements for determining what qualifies as a Watch vs Warning, though.

OK. Watch = might. Warning = Will.

It's confusing because Watch could be "watch it occur".

So how much did Earl's path influence Fiona's path?

If there had been another 2-3 days between the two storms, would Fiona have followed Earl's path? Has that ever happened - two hurricanes in same area within 10 days of each other?

Scottd gave you the technical answer. I can only relate my experiences.

A few years ago I wanted to fly from the west side of FL to the east side to visit my sister. The outer rainbands of a hurricane thwarted that attempt. The were just getting onshore and then dissipating. The hurricane track had it coming to our side later that evening. With everything around me still in the clear and the winds calm I took off to have breakfast at Lakeland airport. It was interesting to fly because I could see the clouds way up high whipping around in a direction completely opposite from the winds at my low altitude. It appeared to be the upper part of the hurricane. I had my breakfast and flew home.

Well after midnight the winds picked up and then the real fun began.

OK. Watch = might. Warning = Will.

It's confusing because Watch could be "watch it occur".

Think "watchman"; somebody standing guard just in case.

"Warning" is what he hollers down to folks when he sees it actually coming!

It looks as though Earl shall pass us by and make landfall on the Canadian coastline.
However, there has been a lot of scrambling, since Wednesday, of boats being pulled from the waters.

This photo is from over Falmouth, Maine. Handy Boat Service / Portland Yacht Club is seen; and that's a lot of vessel-pulling to be squeezed into a couple days.

HR (photo not fully post-processed, yet)

Attachments

• Handy Boat Proof Shot.jpg
    Handy Boat Proof Shot.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 15
Back