Hurricane Airplane Evacuation

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
This may not apply to you, but it may, or it may apply to folks you know.

Gustav is gonna hit the coast in a day or so, likely as a Cat 5 Hurricane. It looks like evacuations are starting early.

If you have an airplane in harm's way - please check with your insurance. Most policies will cover the cost of getting your airplane out of the area.

This isn't a sales pitch - I just hate to see good airplanes destroyed. So if you or someone you know needs their airplane moved, PLEASE post in this thread some details of the plane type and situation.

There are many commercial pilots with a huge range of experience in this online community. While I can't speak for them, I will be willing to ferry any airworthy airplanes out of the danger area at no charge beyond my expenses to get the plane and to get home (I'll eat my normal fees and take vacation from my day job to make it work) Same deal goes if you need an instrument-rated copilot.

Additionally, after the event, there may be a need for pilot services to help with relief efforts. If there's a situation where volunteer pilots can be of assistance, please post here as well.

Best wishes and luck to all those affected,

Funny you should mention this.
I will down in the approximate area (DFW) around that time. If anyone in the way of the hurricane needs a ferry somewhere, I'll be happy to help too. Just for expenses.
I arrive at DFW sometime monday, and would be happy to set back out to wherever anyone needs me to be right away.

Too bad you have to have a commercial rating to do this... I'd love to help. Good thread, Tim.

Troy, there maybe opportunites for you to assist with relief. I specified commercial at first because a commercial pilot can ferry airplanes - there's no gray there. I know private pilots who ferry for "friends" for free, and I think they are taking risks with insurance coverage and possible FAA violations, but that's just MY opinion. You can certainly offer your instrument skills with an angel flight or other work to be done.

I wish that there was some sort of clearinghouse for this kind of stuff. I've thought about sending a fax to the insurance companies saying "hey, here I am" but I have no idea who to contact.

If the wind continues to look like it's gonna be strong (60+) for a long period of time in the Philly area, we're gonna jump in the Viking Witch and fly out towards Pittsburgh or Seven Springs for the night. The hurricane may turn further east and be no factor though, it's a hurry-up-and-wait scenario.

If the wind continues to look like it's gonna be strong (60+) for a long period of time in the Philly area, we're gonna jump in the Viking Witch and fly out towards Pittsburgh or Seven Springs for the night. The hurricane may turn further east and be no factor though, it's a hurry-up-and-wait scenario.

Seven Springs airport is CLOSED -- though I can find no NOTAM.

I flew over it Tuesday and there are yellow sawhorses in the shape of an X at each end of the runway.

You can land at VVS and get Enterprise rental car to meet you there. There are no courtesy cars at VVS or FWQ.

The MET LIFE blimp is currently moored at FWQ -- neat to see.

Let me know if you're coming out this way if you need help with arrangements, etc.

Thanks Dan for the info. If we do head out that way, I'll shoot you a PM and let you know. If we're close to your locale, we'll buy you a beer.

:cheers:

I can help out, and I have access to airline passes, so I can help keep expenses down possibly.

Mike

The flip side of hurricane evacuation: Once when I lived in Boca Raton a hurricane was on its way, forecast to pummel us with a direct hit. I planned to move it several hundred miles north. I showed up at the airport to leave, and unknown to me the FBO had crammed it into a hangar with 1000 other airplanes. It was near the back, and they didn't want to move 980 airplanes to get mine out. Go figure. So we went back home and hoped for the best. The storm swerved and ended up dealing a direct hit on the city where I'd planned to take it -- and where it would have been tied down outside.

There are two problems with evacuating your aircraft for a hurricane: Unless you take it a rather great distance, you might be moving INTO the path of the storm, as the movement can be random. You leave your house open greater destruction if you're not there. For me, as for many people, it comes down to choosing which you'd rather lose, your house or your airplane. I've made my choice several times. All of which points to the value of having a distant out-of-towner come and take your airplane home with 'em.

All of which points to the value of having a distant out-of-towner come and take your airplane home with 'em.

So, uh, Ken, any hurricanes headed your way? I'd be happy to take care of your airplane for a couple of, uh, years or so. Y'know, keep it safe and all. :D

For me, as for many people, it comes down to choosing which you'd rather lose, your house or your airplane. I've made my choice several times. All of which points to the value of having a distant out-of-towner come and take your airplane home with 'em.

Or having a second home, a great distance away, with it's own runway and hangar! :)

Back