Humira for Ulcerative Colitis - can AME issue?

A

Anonymous

I'm posting because I'm getting conflicting info. Hopefully some of you here can help me understand. Quick background: I'm a 150 hour Sport Pilot and loving it. I went sport pilot in the past, thinking it would satisfy my my goals and I wouldn't have to deal with a deferral and special issuance with my Ulcerative Colitis and Humira usage. But now I'm really wanting to get a medical and transition to a Private Pilot.

I'm fairly sure I'd be able to obtain the 3rd Class medical even after a deferral -- but I'd really rather not go through the process of being in limbo for a good portion of a year awaiting the FAA's decision.

Thanks to your advice, I had a consultation with an AME and to my surprise, he said he could issue my medical even with the Humira usage. So my question is: is that accurate?

I've had Ulcerative Colitis for 11 years and have been on Lialda for 11 years and Humira for 10. It's been 5 years since my last flare. I visit my GI yearly. I'm sure he would write a favorable report for the AME to consider.

My fear is that this AME might get me in hot water if he issues me a medical on the spot via the Colitis CACI -- yet on the form I list Humira as a medication I take. Isn't Humira supposed to require a deferral, or can he truly issue it?

I'm trying to avoid him issuing my medical then having the FAA review the form and say "hey, we need to revoke/defer that pilot's license and review this".

I'm posting because I'm getting conflicting info. Hopefully some of you here can help me understand. Quick background: I'm a 150 hour Sport Pilot and loving it. I went sport pilot in the past, thinking it would satisfy my my goals and I wouldn't have to deal with a deferral and special issuance with my Ulcerative Colitis and Humira usage. But now I'm really wanting to get a medical and transition to a Private Pilot.

I'm fairly sure I'd be able to obtain the 3rd Class medical even after a deferral -- but I'd really rather not go through the process of being in limbo for a good portion of a year awaiting the FAA's decision.

Thanks to your advice, I had a consultation with an AME and to my surprise, he said he could issue my medical even with the Humira usage. So my question is: is that accurate?

I've had Ulcerative Colitis for 11 years and have been on Lialda for 11 years and Humira for 10. It's been 5 years since my last flare. I visit my GI yearly. I'm sure he would write a favorable report for the AME to consider.

My fear is that this AME might get me in hot water if he issues me a medical on the spot via the Colitis CACI -- yet on the form I list Humira as a medication I take. Isn't Humira supposed to require a deferral, or can he truly issue it?

I'm trying to avoid him issuing my medical then having the FAA review the form and say "hey, we need to revoke/defer that pilot's license and review this".
no, he cannot. The AME is misinformed. All the imumabs are special issances.

I suggest you go elsewhere. Lialda yes, Humira no. And it requires a statement from your doc, "no side effects of humira" or it cannot be approved (In addition to the history letter testifying that you are well controlled).

sigh. Dr Bruce

That's what I'm afraid of. Any idea what the current timeline looks like for a deferral for a medication like Humira? I'm confident the deferral would turn out in my favor, but I'm a current sport pilot and I dread being out of the game while awaiting a decision.

Dr Bruce, my GI doctor has previously mentioned a "drug holiday" to attempt coming off the Humira. I haven't been brave enough yet, but should I come off, could the AME do a standard issuance if my GI provided a favorable report?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back