Human powered flight! (sort of)

Eustace_Suit_Udvar-Hazy.jpg
Alan Eustace rode one to 135K+ ft in 2014, but didn't come back down with it. He also did it without youtube and all the Red Bull****.

Nauga,
who thinks actions speak louder than videos

No.... no. No no... no.

Like most pilots, I'm afraid of heights. This would be terrifying.

I want to see this same video demo except with 30kts wind aloft :eek:
Still looks cool though and I would definitely try it!

I think I need to do this...
I with you Rich. There is a huge, WWII blimp hangar in Tillamook, Orgeon that would be perfect for an operation like this. I would think that a custom mylar balloon would reduce the diffusion of air into the envelope and keep the helium "clean" longer. The fact that the gas envelopes are not pressurized means any leak would likely be very slow and merely result in a gradual descent rather than a fall. It's a very steampunk way to get off the ground. I've gotta give the French credit on this one. They have a winner in my eyes!

Alan Eustace rode one to 135K+ ft in 2014, but didn't come back down with it.

So, what type of clearance did Alex and Felix have to get into and above class A airspace.?? (and back through on the way down...)

I am guessing their was a block of airspace that was temporarily restricted for their trips.

So, what type of clearance did Alex and Felix have to get into and above class A airspace.?? (and back through on the way down...)

I am guessing their was a block of airspace that was temporarily restricted for their trips.
No problem getting into the flight levels with a homemade balloon contraption ...

Tom Scott and Smarter Every Day are great channels

Not ready to sign up for that experience at this time.

Back