Hug your kids.

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
Despite the winds on the surface, yesterday was a pretty nice day to fly in the Oklahoma City area. Visibility was terrific and while the ride below 2000 AGL was a bit rough, the ride above was smooth as glass. I think at the time I flew my second sortie of the day (2PM/3PM) winds reported at Will Rogers were 200 at 18 with gusts. Like most airports in the area, my home airport C.E. Page (F29) has North/South runways so there wasn't much of a crosswind just plenty of headwind.

After I put the Mooney up for the day, I noticed that across the way our local gyrocopter pilot, Kelly Teague, was getting ready to go fly. He had the machine out of the hanger and was preflighting it. As I drove by him I waved and he waved back. At least it's warm out I thought as temps were right around 60 degrees.

Kelly was one of the first people I met after buying a hanger here and moving out to the plains. I joked with him everytime I saw him about his gyrocopter although it wouldn't have taken much of a push to learn to fly the thing. Well, that's not going to happen:

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=6106401&nav=menu410_3

I didn't see the wreck nor did I see Kelly taxi out toward the runway. I did see a really good guy looking very happy about getting ready to do something he obviously loved. Just for the fun of it.

Yesterday, was a funny day for me. Six years earlier to the day, I was standing on a pit box at the Daytona 500 watching another really good guy, Dale Earnhardt, lose his life on the last lap of the first race of the year. I knew Mr. Earnhardt a little bit and while the money, the fame and the notoriety of being Dale Earnhardt was powerful, he really enjoyed what he was doing. It bothered me though that folks quickly put the old "he died doing something he loved" sticker on it. It's probably inevitable that some well intentioned soul will paint Kelly's sudden death with that brush too. I can't say that the sentiment is wrong and maybe it's our human need to make sense of everything but personally, I'd just rather go to sleep and not wake up when it's my time.

So, where are we? It's another beautiful day in Oklahoma and winds are from the South again. I might go to the airport today and pay my respects but I also might just stay home and call my family and friends just to say hi and thank them for being important and in my life. Carpe Diem and tailwinds Kelly Teague.

Condolences to his family as well as his extended family there at the airport. We're losing too many pilots :(

Sorry to hear about this, John. It really puts things in perspective when you lose a 'face' that goes along with the name. Best wishes to his family and friends.

John,

Sorry to hear about this. Seems a bad month for the fling-wing set.

My condolences.... your words are well taken.

John it is a true tradgedy. Sorry to hear of it. FWIW your words are true and eloquent. I also don't like the saying " he died doing what he loved" after all he died crashing not flying. I think it just gives the survivors comfort to at least know that the person did experience some joy or even perhaps a passion in the hours before he died. My G-d grant his family comfort.

And yes I will go home and hug my family today! We all should do it every day.

Very sorry to hear about this.
My prayers are with his family and you.

Mark B

{{{{hug}}}} T&Ps going out to you and to Kelly Teague's friends and family.

Beautifully written, John. Condolences to the family, and to you, too. I don't know what to make of the "died doing what he loved." I'd just rather no one died. I have, however, left the house on my way to the airport and, looking over my shoulder, called out to my children, "Remember, if I don't come back, I had fun doing it." We are an adventurous family, and it is highly likely someone is going to die suddenly. And we've talked about it and hugged each other.

On the other hand, we've recently been confronted with the other possibility...that of dying slowly. It sucks. And, we've come to the conclusion that we are all dying, some just more quickly than others. And that part REALLY sucks, because we don't like the thought of separation.

So, anyway, hugs to you during your time of separation.

Petra

If I ever go down in a plane crash, I hope people say "She died, having accepted the risks that come with experiencing joy" which would be closer to the truth.

My condolences on your loss.

--Kath

Okay, I'm now seriously confused.

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070221X00207&key=1

All major components of the gyrocopter were accounted for at the accident site with the exception of the horizontal stabilizer. The horizontal stabilizer was later located in the pilot's hangar.

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about gyrocopters, but... How the heck did he make it off the ground, much less a trip and a half around the pattern, without a h-stab? :dunno:

John, my condolences as well. I agree with your words about the "doing something he loved." I just don't think it's possible to truly make sense of something like this. :(

Back