Hudson River Tour

I'll second the comment of going up over the Bravo being a hell of a view. I went up with a few photographer friends on Monday evening, and we flew down the Hudson at 1500', across Central Park, down the East River to the VZ. I asked EWR for a climb through the Bravo to 7500' on top, and the next controller gave me climbing vectors to get me up there, while keeping me away from traffic on approach to the various NYC airports. Took awhile to get there in a 172 with 3 people, but what a sight it was.

WOW! Amazing view! One I've yet to experience......I need to fix that:yes:

I did same exact flight with same company back in 1997, but unfortunately that flight did nothing for me. It took long 15 years to get my PPL :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

You may have taken 15 years for other reasons, but dude....if that flight did nothing for you, you were either sleeping (like my daughter the first time I flew her over the area) or dead! :rofl:

I'll second the comment of going up over the Bravo being a hell of a view. I went up with a few photographer friends on Monday evening, and we flew down the Hudson at 1500', across Central Park, down the East River to the VZ. I asked EWR for a climb through the Bravo to 7500' on top, and the next controller gave me climbing vectors to get me up there, while keeping me away from traffic on approach to the various NYC airports. Took awhile to get there in a 172 with 3 people, but what a sight it was.

Those are great pictures!

You may have taken 15 years for other reasons, but dude....if that flight did nothing for you, you were either sleeping (like my daughter the first time I flew her over the area) or dead! :rofl:

Don't get me wrong, the "wow" factor was definitely there, but when I landed and the instructor said "what do you say to leaning how to fly?" My response was very simple - no thanks, I'll stick with the car. And I wasn't scared, I did greatly enjoy the experience and scenery, it felt very cool to maneuver old Cessna left and right, but there was no spark in me saying "you gotta learn how to fly". At that time it just didn't seem, even remotely, that it was something I would be interested in. And so the life went on... In 2005 (can't remember for sure) the idea and opportunity to learn how to fly came back and shortly after was crushed by my wife as a good friend of ours was killed during his flight training at Weschester airport, along with his CFI. My wife new this guy since first grade - it was devastating. They were practicing IFR approaches and clipped a tree on final (student had 8 hours of total flight time!!! why were they flying in actual IFR weather is a mystery to many people!!!" In short - wife said don't even think about. And so more years went by... In 2011 I was able to take another discovery flight, just for fun of it and this time with my wife and upon landing, she went along with the idea of me becoming a pilot; 2 years years later I got my PPL. Currently studying for IFR and can't imagine a day without having the ability to hop into our plane after a busy day at work and go somewhere fun or tasty; in 1997 that feeling just wasn't there. LIFE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't get me wrong, the "wow" factor was definitely there, but when I landed and the instructor said "what do you say to leaning how to fly?" My response was very simple - no thanks, I'll stick with the car. And I wasn't scared, I did greatly enjoy the experience and scenery, it felt very cool to maneuver old Cessna left and right, but there was no spark in me saying "you gotta learn how to fly". At that time it just didn't seem, even remotely, that it was something I would be interested in. And so the life went on... In 2005 (can't remember for sure) the idea and opportunity to learn how to fly came back and shortly after was crushed by my wife as a good friend of ours was killed during his flight training at Weschester airport, along with his CFI. My wife new this guy since first grade - it was devastating. They were practicing IFR approaches and clipped a tree on final (student had 8 hours of total flight time!!! why were they flying in actual IFR weather is a mystery to many people!!!" In short - wife said don't even think about. And so more years went by... In 2011 I was able to take another discovery flight, just for fun of it and this time with my wife and upon landing, she went along with the idea of me becoming a pilot; 2 years years later I got my PPL. Currently studying for IFR and can't imagine a day without having the ability to hop into our plane after a busy day at work and go somewhere fun or tasty; in 1997 that feeling just wasn't there. LIFE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh ok, I got it now.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone have the spark from birth, like me. When I took my "discovery flight" it was because I finally had the money to pursue my childhood dream. So for me the flight wasn't to see if it was for me, the flight was the opening chapter of my book:). We could have done a few laps around the pattern, and that alone would have sealed the deal!
The beautiful NYC tour was just icing on the cake!

Last edited:
I recommend requesting a bravo clearance up and down the river. I find it's just easier that way.

The Skyline route does have its advantages. But be thoroughly familiar with the SFRA too so you'll be prepared in case ATC is too busy to clear you for Skyline (I've had that happen).

Back