Hudson River Tour

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
So, I'm going back to NYC in a month. This is the fifth time, and I can no longer get away with NOT doing the tour.

What's the best way to file for it? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing to file for, but do the online training and know the reporting points. My advice is to do the Skyline Route, which is a little higher and requires a bravo clearance from either EWR or LGA tower. The benefit is a few more feet of altitude, relatively less traffic, traffic point outs by ATC, and no position reporting. Enjoy.

Thanks, Brad and Jason!

I think this is going to be a blast!

Note: I studied in NYC for 6 years, before I was a pilot. I'd always though, bet it'd be amazing to view this skyline from 2,000 feet!

Just did mine today. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qmu_U6jruw

I stayed at 1200, in a transit corridor. Less traffic and no talking to tower/approach. Helicopter traffic below me was pretty crazy. Other than that, few choppers, a twin, and some taildragger towing a banner was the only traffic north and south. I turned around at Alpine Tower to return back south, and caught up with the banner towing plane. It's scary how you can't see the banner at all when you are behind an aircraft!

I did a Skyline once. Was given 1600 feet. And handed off to 4 different controllers between Verrazano and Tappan Zee bridges.

I did up and down the river yesterday and a bit of local operation in the SFRA. No big deal, read the chart, report and look for the helicopters everywhere.

I stayed at 1200, in a transit corridor. Less traffic and no talking to tower/approach. Helicopter traffic below me was pretty crazy. Other than that, few choppers, a twin, and some taildragger towing a banner was the only traffic north and south. I turned around at Alpine Tower to return back south, and caught up with the banner towing plane. It's scary how you can't see the banner at all when you are behind an aircraft!

I did a Skyline once. Was given 1600 feet. And handed off to 4 different controllers between Verrazano and Tappan Zee bridges.

Nice.

I can't wait to do this one day when I get my ticket.. What plane are you flying in?

I can't wait to do this one day when I get my ticket.. What plane are you flying in?

In 1985, while I was working for General Dynamics I spent two weeks at the Fort Monmouth Army post taking a training class. On the weekend I rented a Cessna 172 from the local airport and flew the VFR corridor up the Hudson River. I had to stay under 1100 feet and I don't remember any reporting points or even talking to ATC. But that was a long time ago and the twin towers were still there, I'm sure things are a bit different these days. I remember having to bank the airplane a bit as we passed the towers to lift the wing out of the way so my passenger could take a picture of the towers. I also thought it was neat flying over the USS Intrepid.

Jean

In 1985, while I was working for General Dynamics I spent two weeks at the Fort Monmouth Army post taking a training class. On the weekend I rented a Cessna 172 from the local airport and flew the VFR corridor up the Hudson River. I had to stay under 1100 feet and I don't remember any reporting points or even talking to ATC. But that was a long time ago and the twin towers were still there, I'm sure things are a bit different these days. I remember having to bank the airplane a bit as we passed the towers to lift the wing out of the way so my passenger could take a picture of the towers. I also thought it was neat flying over the USS Intrepid.

Jean

Last edited:
When I made that flight it was on a sunny Saturday and it was a beautiful day. The next day I drove my rental car through Manhattan and I really wanted to visit the Intrepid but I couldn't find a place to park the car. I ended up just driving through several of the boroughs of the city and then going back to Fort Monmouth. I would like to see the new World Trade Center once it is completed but I don't do much traveling any more. Thanks for the invite though! :)

Jean

When I made that flight it was on a sunny Saturday and it was a beautiful day. The next day I drove my rental car through Manhattan and I really wanted to visit the Intrepid but I couldn't find a place to park the car. I ended up just driving through several of the boroughs of the city and then going back to Fort Monmouth. I would like to see the new World Trade Center once it is completed but I don't do much traveling any more. Thanks for the invite though! :)

Jean

Aww that's too bad. You would have really enjoyed it!
My wife and I went in 2005 which was about a year before they moved it to Staten Island for renovation. It was great! We also boarded the Concord and walked the cabin. There's a plexiglass barrier to keep people out of the cockpit, but I got some great pictures!

The aerial shots in my last post, were taken by my daughter in January. I gave her and her husband the scenic flight as a wedding gift. They had a ball.

Well if you do manage to visit, let me know. I'd be glad to fly the Hudson with you. I've even purchased three PFD's for myself and passengers:D

Jean

Park at one of those "Arm and a leg per hour" parking lots. Expensive, but you can walk around.

I love this thread.

Love the joy Ben exudes when it comes to flight.

Love to see Jean's post, have missed your smiling face (maybe just looking at the wrong times?).

Really need to meet Redtail, suspect a lot of good stories to be told.

Want to fly the Hudson.

Miss New York (used to summer there when I was a laddie). My Dad grew up in Queens, need to walk his trail, so to speak.

I did first River trip a few weeks ago and this sums it up pretty well. We overflew the Bravo first to get an awesome view of the city from above and recommend doing that if the weather & time permits.

Follow the procedures, keep an eye for traffic and you'll be just fine.

I did first River trip a few weeks ago and this sums it up pretty well. We overflew the Bravo first to get an awesome view of the city from above and recommend doing that if the weather & time permits.

Follow the procedures, keep an eye for traffic and you'll be just fine.

I was thinking about it, but 5000 broken pretty much killed it for me. And besides, I had to start climbing all the way back in Pennsylvania to get there. And even through I would be above Bravo, I don't think I would be comfortable enough to fly without talking to someone. Lots of aluminium overcasts exiting Bravo there.

Perhaps when weather and time works out better, I will do it. I've seen the city from 1200 and 1500 (Skyline route), time to see it from way up there.

I love this thread.

Love the joy Ben exudes when it comes to flight.

Love to see Jean's post, have missed your smiling face (maybe just looking at the wrong times?).

Really need to meet Redtail, suspect a lot of good stories to be told.

Want to fly the Hudson.

Miss New York (used to summer there when I was a laddie). My Dad grew up in Queens, need to walk his trail, so to speak.

Hey I'd be honored to meet you too. I'm sure your stories are a lot more interesting than mine. Come on up and let's fly the Hudson and East river (LaGuardia permitting)!

My discovery flight and introduction to GA was from KTEB to the Hudson River southbound at 1000 ft, past the Lady and Verrazano with a U-Turn over Coney Island, then northbound past the WTC, GWB then back to KTEB. This was in the spring on 1998. That was my first time at the controls of an aircraft (172). I was Hooked! Two months later, I began my lessons:)

I still have the T-shirt!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hey I'd be honored to meet you too. I'm sure your stories are a lot more interesting than mine. Come on up and let's fly the Hudson and East river (LaGuardia permitting)!

My discovery flight and introduction to GA was from KTEB to the Hudson River southbound at 1000 ft, past the Lady and Verrazano with a U-Turn over Coney Island, then northbound past the WTC, GWB then back to KTEB. This was in the spring on 1998. That was my first time at the controls of an aircraft (172). I was Hooked! Two months later, I began my lessons:)

I still have yet to meet Spike, though he lives only a few miles from my brother. I hope to meet him soon, in the next couple of months!

I still have yet to meet Spike, though he lives only a few miles from my brother. I hope to meet him soon, in the next couple of months!

Ben do you have a cockpit cam to record your flight? It's great to watch your videos of such a scenic fight! Especially if you get to fly the East River and cross Central Park! Sure wish I had video of my discovery flight.

When I took my son on this tour last year, Newark tower had me do a right climbing 360 into the Bravo directly over Governors Island. Then allowed me to proceed up the East River (after switching to LaGuardia) at 1500' and Cross Central Park to rejoin the Hudson northbound! That was awesome and it's all on video with audio:)

Coffee, pancakes, maybe a little Bonanza-flyin' - all this and more await!

Ben do you have a cockpit cam to record your flight? It's great to watch your videos of such a scenic fight! Especially if you get to fly the East River and cross Central Park! Sure wish I had video of my discovery flight.

When I took my son on this tour last year, Newark tower had me do a right climbing 360 into the Bravo directly over Governors Island. Then allowed me to proceed up the East River (after switching to LaGuardia) at 1500' and Cross Central Park to rejoin the Hudson northbound! That was awesome and it's all on video with audio:)

Please post!!!

Please post!!!

You're putting me on the spot. I've never posted any of my videos online because I'm somewhat of a private individual. However, in the interest of this thread, I'll consider posting it after I do a little audio editing.

Oh yeah, correction on the altitude. I just watched it again. The controller told me to circle Governors and climb to 1500 then half way through the turn, he told me to continue my climb to 2000. Once I was back over the Hudson northbound, LGA had me descend back down to 1500.

Last edited:
You're putting me on the spot. I've never posted any of my videos online because I'm somewhat of a private individual. However, in the interest of this thread, I'll consider posting it after I do a little audio editing.

(Chuckle)

Interesting how I discovered, when video was taken of some of my flights, that I off-handedly added "course-correction words" on short final when it's windy. :D

I have a friend who does a PERFECT Yoda voice. I've been thinking that I have to get him in the plane and work the radios for me.

:rofl:

Ok, I'm editing the video to post later. In the meantime, here's a few screen captures from the video of the southbound leg of our trip.
2000 ft in the bravo "skyline route".

Governors Island

It was a busy day so upon reaching the GWB, I was instructed to climb and maintain 2000 from 1500. Still had an awesome view, although it was a little high for my son to see everything. Glad I took video. But I hate that constant rolling jello effect!

Last edited:
I was thinking about it, but 5000 broken pretty much killed it for me. And besides, I had to start climbing all the way back in Pennsylvania to get there. And even through I would be above Bravo, I don't think I would be comfortable enough to fly without talking to someone. Lots of aluminium overcasts exiting Bravo there.

Perhaps when weather and time works out better, I will do it. I've seen the city from 1200 and 1500 (Skyline route), time to see it from way up there.
The weather has to be in your favor to get up that high and have light winds. The heavy metal is easy to spot, and once you see one of them departing LGA/JFK they are all flying the same pattern (the TAC chart have the jetways). We did the whole trip without talking to Approach.

Please post!!!

OK...I reluctantly created a youtube account and posted my first youtube video.:eek:
Ben it's all your fault :rofl:

http://youtu.be/_nkPVmeG1ok

The camera has no viewfinder (NFlightcam +....there's an app for that) and was new to me, so the positioning wasn't that great for forward view. I did manage to get a great side view though!

Last edited:
<<<I also thought it was neat flying over the USS Intrepid.>>>

LOL!! Did that many times during her combat cruise to V'Nam in 1966. The restored Douglas A4 Skyhawk on Intrepid now was assigned to Attack Squadron Ninety-Five (the "Green Lizards") during that time frame ...and was flown by me and most squadron mates "downtown" (Hanoi & environs) many times.

Nothing to file for, but do the online training and know the reporting points. My advice is to do the Skyline Route, which is a little higher and requires a bravo clearance from either EWR or LGA tower. The benefit is a few more feet of altitude, relatively less traffic, traffic point outs by ATC, and no position reporting. Enjoy.

This. For me, busiest part was flying under the bravo from FRG to the Verrazano; bunch of banners along the beaches. skyline was empty.

This. For me, busiest part was flying under the bravo from FRG to the Verrazano; bunch of banners along the beaches. skyline was empty.

Yeah that area does get a little busy! I was headed to the VZ from FRG, at 500 along the beaches and was head on with opposite traffic (not a banner). Thank God I was talking to JFK and getting traffic alerts! We were both getting advisories from the tower.
Spotted him in plenty of time to alter my course to the right.

Last edited:
I'll second the comment of going up over the Bravo being a hell of a view. I went up with a few photographer friends on Monday evening, and we flew down the Hudson at 1500', across Central Park, down the East River to the VZ. I asked EWR for a climb through the Bravo to 7500' on top, and the next controller gave me climbing vectors to get me up there, while keeping me away from traffic on approach to the various NYC airports. Took awhile to get there in a 172 with 3 people, but what a sight it was.

Hope these photo links work:

©Dean Neistat
941648_10200403780792158_898342964_n.jpg

298532_10200398371656933_990987241_n.jpg

©Drew Gurian
941696_10100356100304197_485805225_n.jpg

I did same exact flight with same company back in 1997, but unfortunately that flight did nothing for me. It took long 15 years to get my PPL :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back