HTML / Text editor?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I'm trying to update some php/html files on my website. I'm trying to open them with Notepad, but when I save the files, the word wrap goes haywire and totally screws up the layout of the code itself. Unfortunately, the code I am editing is poorly commented, so when the wordwrap gets screwed up, it comments out portions of the code.

I've tried screwing with the wordwrap settings, but I can't get it to work. Wordpad is even worse - it doesn't even open it correctly the first time.

Anybody have tips for an easy basic text editor I can use to edit php/html files?

Thanks...

www.ultraedit.com. I swear by it for all text editing needs.
(Well, actually easy, but not basic. It has a LOT of REALLY useful features!)

Last edited:
Ultraedit isn't free and Chris is in college. NotePad++ can do almost everything Ultraedit can do and some things it can't.

Ultraedit isn't free and Chris is in college. NotePad++ can do almost everything Ultraedit can do and some things it can't.

But Eclispe is free. It's just a lot more than an HTML editor.

Eclipse used to cost (still does) $thousands from IBM as the WebSphere IDT.

I d/l'ed NotePad++ and so far it's doing everything I need it to. I'm running Joomla as my CMS, so I don't really need any type of graphical editor. NotePad++ is doing what I need -- allowing me to update the back-end scripts easily.

Is there vi for Windows? It doesn't sound like he's editing directly on the server.

Uh, huh!
http://www.vim.org/download.php

Although I would think it's the worst of all worlds.

I'd use notepad on Windows first....and I do know vi. It frosted me when I used vi on the Mac and found out my ESC key was remapped.

Last edited:
But Eclispe is free. It's just a lot more than an HTML editor.

Eclipse used to cost (still does) $thousands from IBM as the WebSphere IDT.
I know. That is why I suggested Eclipse above. I use it for PHP development.

I'd use notepad on Windows first....and I do know vi. It frosted me when I used vi on the Mac and found out my ESC key was remapped.

I had problems with that at first as well. Actually I think mine was with the arrow key. I think this was specific to ITerm.

echo "set term=linux" >> ~/.exrc

Anyone remember Jesse's explanation of the greatness of vi at EdFred's grand reopening? That was hillarious.

nano is the god of text editors....that, or Eclipse, if you want a fancy smancy IDE with a debugger. Also kate is great, IMHO.

Emacs!!!

I'll fight you VIers.

~ Christopher

(couldn't help myself)

Source: http://xkcd.com/378/

real_programmers.png

OMG. EMACS... the only editor so obtuse that the first thing it tells you is how to quit. Otherwise, you're stuck in EMACS hell ...

Real programmers mouth ones and zeroes on the modem line.

I've built a basic computer out of transistors, 5 bit instructions, 11 data bits, instructions and data entered on toggle switches with a momentary pushbutton to advance the counter (it was a physics class m'kay?).

~ Christopher

P.S.
Addicted To vi
(with apologies to Robert Palmer)

You press the keys with no effect,
Your mode is not correct.
The screen blurs, your fingers shake;
You forgot to press escape.
Can't insert, can't delete,
Cursor keys won't repeat.
You try to quit, but can't leave,
An extra "bang" is all you need.

You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"--
Oh yeah?
You won't look at emacs, no you'd just rather die
You know you're gonna have to face it;
You're addicted to vi!

You edit files one at a time;
That doesn't seem too out of line?
You don't think of keys to bind--
A meta key would blow your mind.
H, J, K, L? You're not annoyed?
Expressions must be a Joy!
Just press "f", or is it "t"?
Maybe "n", or just "g"?

Oh--You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"--
Oh yeah?
You're addicted to vi!

Might as well face it,
You're addicted to vi!

You press the keys without effect,
Your life is now a wreck.
What a waste! Such a shame!
And all you have is vi to blame.

Oh--You think it's neat to type an "a" or an "i"--
Oh yeah?
You're addicted to vi!

Might as well face it,
You're addicted to vi!

Another vote for Crimson Editor.
It'll handle as big of a file as you have memory to accomodate.
And, it has a column mode, which we use a LOT around here.

Another vote for Crimson Editor.
It'll handle as big of a file as you have memory to accomodate.
And, it has a column mode, which we use a LOT around here.
One of the things I love about UltraEdit. And it's not limited to memory. You actually have the option to turn on immediate writes so it changes the edited file on the fly. No limit I'm aware of on the file-size imposed by the editor.

Lights and switches, baby, lights and switches.

Doing hex to binary conversion on the fly, click-clikc-click-click-click (load), etc.

Puts hair on your... well, whatever.

Always that moment of truth when you flip the switch to "Run," listen for drive action and watch for the "Run" light to stay on.

While working at TiVo, I learned how to whistle to the onboard modem to make it respond. That was fun.

So real programmers whistle modulated noise, and lets the modem demodulate it for you.

While working at TiVo, I learned how to whistle to the onboard modem to make it respond. That was fun.

So real programmers whistle modulated noise, and lets the modem demodulate it for you.
Yeah, I did that in the 80's with my external 300 baud modem. That was fun - was a great way to test for lines we could dial into...

Emacs!!!

I'll fight you VIers.

Yes! I used to love emacs. Heck, when I was at an x terminal I'd have about 12 instances of emacs open, usually all with split windows (.h on the top, .cc on the bottom.)

There's a couple of really good editors on the Mac - BBEdit is a long-time favorite that will automatically color all kinds of different languages to make the code easier to read (from HTML up through all the programming languages) and has lots of other nice features, including diff and an advanced find and replace.

The other, SubEthaEdit, is one that I haven't really used yet but my brother does - It allows him to collaboratively edit in real time with his project partners.

Sorry, PC users. :no:

OBTW, I just for the heck of it opened a terminal window to see if my Mac had emacs and vi. Yes to both. :D

Back