HSI/upgrade path for Cessna 400A autopilot

JohnK

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JohnCNC3
Hi everyone,

Looking for opinions on an upgrade path for a 400A autopilot that doesn't currently have an HSI but does have a 430W and I'd like GPSS steering commands to the autopilot.

Sandel 3500? Aspen EFD1000 Pro? Other?

Thanks,

John

I have a Sandel in my plane, great unit.

I like having my AI and DG to be independent, just the belt & suspenders in me that comes out in IFR.

Ideal would be a Sandel EHSI and a garmin AI up top.

Last edited:
Thanks James. Do you have a 400 ap?

Rate based, correct?

One of the issues I'm circling around is that the 400A is attitude based and requires BOTH a DG/HSI and an AI to provide information to the AP. Sooo....I can upgrade the DG/HSI but NOT the AI. :/

Huh..

I have no experience with that unit, I'd also look into that garmin and the new dynon eAIs, swapping both out and ditching your vac system (if your AP will play nice) would be a great upgrade.

Huh..

I have no experience with that unit, I'd also look into that garmin and the new dynon eAIs, swapping both out and ditching your vac system (if your AP will play nice) would be a great upgrade.
No bueno. Garmin, Aspen, Sandel, etc. don't have an STC'd setup for attitude info to Cessna/ARC autopilots....

I'm surprised there isn't a business case for it. I can't imagine the number of Cessna pilots that would ditch their vacuum system if given the choice during an avionics upgrade.

Back