HSI questions

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
I'm trying to get a flight review scheduled. I'm planning on combining this with a checkout in an aircraft I've not flown yet. The catch is that this plane has an HSI, and I've never used one before.

Anybody know of any references, books, websites, or other places that explain well to a first-timer? The more I know ahead of time, the better off I'll be. I've already found a few websites that explain how they operate, but I'd like a little guidance on which places work best before I get too involved.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks, I'll look into that FAA pub.

I've got the DG portion figured out. I just need some help getting the hang of the course indicator/vor. I'm sure it's not as hard as it seems, I just need a little time to read up on it so I can catch on more quickly when my CFI is explaining it.

I was actually looking at the website (http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/HSI,...0complete.html) earlier today.

It's not quite as intimidating as it first looks.

It's actually really simple... do you have a copy of MS Flight Sim 98 or above? If so, you can jump in just about any airplane on there (except for the Piper Cub or Cessnas) and play around with an HSI.

The HSI is MUCH easier to use IMO than the DG combined with the OBS dials in the Cessnas.

It's actually really simple... do you have a copy of MS Flight Sim 98 or above? If so, you can jump in just about any airplane on there (except for the Piper Cub or Cessnas) and play around with an HSI.

The HSI is MUCH easier to use IMO than the DG combined with the OBS dials in the Cessnas.

Good idea - I keep forgetting that MSFS is actually good for something!

Actually, the more I use MSFS, the more I appreciate the effort that went into it. I've used it to sim flights before. I'd been planning a short XC just to get out of town. Had to reschedule because of weather 3 or 4 times. Still haven't had the chance to go, but during one of my rain-outs, I went ahead with the flight anyway on the simulator (used my kneeboard and all, I'm pretty much a geek).

I remember messing around with it to give myself some VOR exercises by using the map function and placing my location at various places around a VOR to watch how the indicators changed. I'll do that with the HSI.

edit -
D'oh! Just remembered that school starts tomorrow. My kids'll be on the computer from now until Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

I've got the DG portion figured out. I just need some help getting the hang of the course indicator/vor. I'm sure it's not as hard as it seems, I just need a little time to read up on it so I can catch on more quickly when my CFI is explaining it.

I was actually looking at the website (http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/HSI,...0complete.html) earlier today.

Your right, it really isn't. Just think of the HSI as a slaved DG with a nav 1 CDI on top of it and glide slope needles on the left and right; that's all it really is. Tim's Air Navigation Simulator does help tremendously.

(used my kneeboard and all, I'm pretty much a geek).

That's okay, I've been known to make "Captain's Announcements" out loud when flying the heavy iron on MSFS. If you're a geek for using a kneeboard, I'd hate to know what that would make me!

It is ABSOLUTELY good for something though... I attribute my radio skills to the fact that I've been flying MSFS on VATSIM for the past 3 years, though I did have to break myself of the "with you" habit. :)

Basically, to use the HSI, you tune the VOR like normal. Then you twist the HSI knob so that the course arrow is pointing on the radial/course you want to intercept. Wherever the middle part of the arrow is is where the radial is in relation to your plane. Now all you have to do is fly towards it, then as it goes toward the middle you turn towards the heading your course arrow is pointed at. Set up a crab to keep the middle part of the arrow in the middle and you've got it!

Let me know if that makes no sense to you.

I have used this simple online simulator with my students including ground school. Very handy!!! A while back I actually downloaded the associated file(s) so that I can run the applet on my computer without being on the internet.

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav

I have used this simple online simulator with my students including ground school. Very handy!!! A while back I actually downloaded the associated file(s) so that I can run the applet on my computer without being on the internet.

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav

ive used that to teach future airline pilots NDB procedures. very handy

The thing is dirt simple and wonderfull, after you fly IFR with one, you'll never want to do it without. It functions as you know by now as a combo DG and OBS/CDI w/GS. Set the arrow to the radial or LOC heading, and the center part acts as the CDI needle. When intercepting the LOC or radial, place the lubberline of the DG portion on the tip of the displaced CDI bar and just keep coming around to keep them matched up till everything falls into a straight line. Makes for sweet intercepts. Then on the side, you'll see the GS tab come alive. Keep that in the center, and the lubberline on the CDI bar, and you'll come right down the slide. much less displacement of attention, makes your ILSs in gusty conditions much easier to follow and keep tight.

Thanks all.

I plan on playing with several of the simulators. I'm sure after a few minutes, the light will come on. I'm pretty good at VOR nav, but I've got to get used to seeing the CDI and to/from flag being in any orientation, not just vertical.

I'm not an IFR guy yet, but I can see Henning's and PJ's point about it being able to show so much more information in one glance.

Matt

Then on the side, you'll see the GS tab come alive. Keep that in the center, and the lubberline on the CDI bar, and you'll come right down the slide. much less displacement of attention, makes your ILSs in gusty conditions much easier to follow and keep tight.

Seconded. Once you get used to an HSI, you will want to fly one all the time. I love seeing the intercept angle on things like vectors to final on an ILS, and as Henning says, your ILS approaches will be easier and much better using an HSI.

A slaved HSI was one of the pieces of desired equipment on our list when we were shopping/sorting potential birds.

Here's a little tip on flying the HSI.

Using the picture in the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook on Page 3-22, Fig. 3-35:

Notice the heading is 175, and the CDI is set to 205. That's your standard 30 degree intercept on a vector to final.

On the usual VOR/LOC display, you wait until the CDI begins to center, and you turn to the 205 heading hoping to arrive at 205 as the needle centers. Experience makes this happen better, but at various speeds and crosswind conditions, the timing of the turn may cause you to undershoot or overshoot capturing the LOC needle centered.

But...with the HSI, look at that picture. You see how the CDI is in between the 'lubber line' and the course select pointer?

If you were flying that, you would be already late in turning. That pilot is going to overshoot the turn.

You start the turn precisely when the top of the CDI is directly underneath the bottom of the lubber line.

And keep it there. You turn with the CDI. You keep the lubberline on top of the CDI needle. It will come to center exactly as your heading comes to the final course. And keep it there.

That's why it is so simple.

D'oh! again!

Just found out the a/c with the HSI is no longer available for rental. They do have another, but it also has an Avidyne panel that requires a few extra hours in addition to the normal checkout flight.

Those scalawags!

Ah, well. MSFS it is.

Back