HSEATS looking for 20 aircraft

Don Jones

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DJones
I am a member of the Homeland Security Emergency Air Transportation Service (HSEATS) part of Angel Flight. I got a call yesterday afternoon they are looking for 20 aircraft to fly Katrina victims from Baton Rouge to Dallas. *Sigh* I would have gone in a minute, just don't have the useful load to be of much use. I am sure there will be other missions. Hopefully some I can do. Anyone else join the HSEATS program?
Don

20 aircraft as in 60 people to move? Or are they thinking larger aircraft?
OK, it would be 100 people on 20 six seaters.

Strange. You could fit that many on less than one half of a Southwest 737.

I to am a member but my Tri-Pacer will not do what they want it too.

Don Jones said:
I am a member of the Homeland Security Emergency Air Transportation Service (HSEATS) part of Angel Flight. I got a call yesterday afternoon they are looking for 20 aircraft to fly Katrina victims from Baton Rouge to Dallas. *Sigh* I would have gone in a minute, just don't have the useful load to be of much use. I am sure there will be other missions. Hopefully some I can do. Anyone else join the HSEATS program?
Don

Don, is that 20 Angel Flight aircraft, or is HSA convinced the disaster relief pilots/aircraft must be pre-screened (HSEATS)?

Yes, this sounds very odd to me too. Something here doesn't quite add up right, but I don't see what the "angle" would be. A very in-efficient way to move a relativly small group of people.

mikea said:
20 aircraft as in 60 people to move? Or are they thinking larger aircraft?
OK, it would be 100 people on 20 six seaters.

Strange. You could fit that many on less than one half of a Southwest 737.

Ed Guthrie said:
Don, is that 20 Angel Flight aircraft, or is HSA convinced the disaster relief pilots/aircraft must be pre-screened (HSEATS)?

The request came out over the HSEATS system. I got an e-mail from AFSW this afternoon that they had a frustrating time getting it to happen, no details but ended up aborting. It appears they have now put it out on regular AF channels.
The only requirements are IR pilots, file using AF callsign on all legs(even without passengers) They also said not to plan on fuel in BTR.

It is an in-efficient way of moving a lot of people, but then I don't know the specifics of the mission either. If we in GA could get involved in any way even if it is moving 50 people and get some good press it might be a good thing in more ways than one.
Don

Now I know the answer to my dumb question of what they needed 20 4 seat planes for. Angel Flight is shuttling survivors, as in kids to their parents. I saw a GA plane on one of the stories on TV. They're flying between Baton Rouge, Houston and San Antonio.

An amazing story:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ldren5sep05,1,3144918.story?coll=chi-news-hed
Imagine flying 4-5 kids 6 years old and less all by themselves.

Last edited:
Don,

Yes, I signed up for HSEATS also. Saw a request yesterday for "self-sustaining" pilots with twins or HP singles willing to immediately relocate to Eastern TX or Western LA. Just an inquiry to ascertain capability at this time as far as I can tell. I know that many are standing by to help if possible/practical. Sounds like reuniting separated families could be a big area for future assistance once the more urgent situations begin to resolve.

The ones that I was shown had us flying out of Baton Rouge to Dallas. No fuel at Baton Rouge.

Back